Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im bout to buy my friends JL 12'' woofer and matching amp but i dont know if i should buy his head unit or not. i have the rockford system and like how it matches the interior car colors and the feel of it but i just dont know if i need to replace it based on power output.
so basically what im asking is what is the max output of the rockford fostgate head unit and if it will support an after market woofer?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i ran a two subs and an amp with a stock headunit in my last car and it worked out just fine. i eventually upgraded to an aftermarket hu, and went with one right off the bat in the X because i like my onboard sub controls. If you run an amp you could do it either way, i never noticed a difference, just that an aftermarket hu gave better control of the subs.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
replace. hands down.
do a search. theres alotta great info on HUs around here

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I say replace. Like above, I like being able to control my sub volume for the type of music I am listening too. Also if the kiddo is in the car I can turn it down so she doesn't go deaf.

·
on line
82 Posts
I say keep it...but add a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2. If you're not familiar it takes your factory signal, analyzes it, gets rid of any unnecessary proccesing, and then outputs it to 6 seperate configureable channels. Including crossovers, time allignment, and equalization. Plus theives are none the wiser. If I didn't have a super sweet head unit (Eclipse 8454) this is what I'd be using.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
mfenske said:
I say keep it...but add a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2. If you're not familiar it takes your factory signal, analyzes it, gets rid of any unnecessary proccesing, and then outputs it to 6 seperate configureable channels. Including crossovers, time allignment, and equalization. Plus theives are none the wiser. If I didn't have a super sweet head unit (Eclipse 8454) this is what I'd be using.
Isn't that just as much as a new HU?

·
on line
264 Posts
you dont need too. im running 1000w rms subs off my head unit and it works great. I still have the factory rockford fosgate setup and no problems. i dont want to lose the built in 6 disc mp3 cd changer. I have 2 12" Alpine type "R" subs in a custom G-force box with an alpine mrd amp and 12 farad cap. works great no reason to switch if u like the head unit. $30 part to make it work and you can add a remote bass knob so you can turn it down or off

·
on line
82 Posts
lostboy said:
mfenske said:
Isn't that just as much as a new HU?
It very well could be but you have the benefit of keeping the stock look, helping to reduce the chances that your gear will get ripped off. Take it from me that sucks.

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
using the bass knob thing is actually what i was wanting to run with anyways just for ease.. can the knobs be added to any amp woofer set up?
also is the X the type of car where sub/amp instalation will be easy for someone like me still in highschool with not alot of extra time?

·
on line
1,361 Posts
yes, the sub and amp installation was a breeze.

I put my amp under the passenger seat, ran the speaker wire under the rear floor mat under the rear seat and into the cargo area.

I and a few others I got the idea from built a custom box to fit in the area on the back passenger side so we still have storeage space and access the the track system. That was the longest part.

Oh and for some reason it took me like 10 minutes to get the stupid power wire through the rubber in the fire wall. I think my sugars were low or something :)

·
on line
707 Posts
Not sure what the options are on your RF HU but I replaced the stock S HU because I wanted an AUX input and the ability to play the data music files and not having to convert them.

·
on line
352 Posts
I too wanted to keep my stock look, and just installed a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 yesterday. It takes your stock signal and reproccesses it to outputs for amps and subs. It sounds great already and I have not yet adjusted the EQ because it has to be done via bluetooth. The signal I am getting now is a true "FLAT" EQ because that's what it does. So I woulf check into this if you really want to keep your deck. Theres a lot more detailed and reviews of this option over on MP3car.com...OH PS-The 3sixty alos has an AUX input dual RCA's. So you gain a lot with this. I got it for 220.00 of Amazon

·
on line
2,004 Posts
if ur going to replace the head unit, i'd replace the whole system. I replaced my stock head unit in my audi. had a bose system. and put in a sub and amp. all the speakers are now blown.

·
on line
264 Posts
thats because bose runs on 8ohm and your head unit cant put that out. so u blew them because they werent running right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts