Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know there is several threads on this and Yes, I have done the search function but my question is:

I'm 5'8" and I'm looking to pick up a 12' kayak for lake/flat water paddling/fishing and I was wondering since I have checked out the other threads, no one really has a definite answer so thought I'll ask this:

For my setup, I will be using my Dephep and will have to mount an couple crossbars on it which is my next mod so with that being said, do I go with the Yakima Hully Rollers with Mako Saddles?

OR

Do you prefer the J-hook mounts? I see ALOT of J-hook mounts for kayak transport so that brings to my next question:

Do you prefer Thule Hull a Pro mount (that folds down) I will need to be able to fit in a garage so this is a must. What about the Yakima one? I see alot of complaints about wind noise with Yakima mounts but nothing about Thule's version.

Its a possiblity I may carry two for a friend that likes to Kayak so I would think the J-hook mounts would be the best option, right?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I'm looking to pick up a 12' kayak for lake/flat water paddling
Me too, except I already have a 12'er Dagger Delta for exercise & photography.
Got some saddles on Amazon Prime for $40 that work well. If you're planning on
2 yaks you'll be needing to go with the J-hooks, methinks (kinda wide side by side)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
as of right now, I have a custom built "dephep style" rack, and what I did was ziptie some pool noodle foam to the front and back of the rack and I just rest the kayak right on top of that, and then ratchet strap it down. i only ever haul one yak as of right now so it works and I didnt have to spend any money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get J hooks for a nice and light sit in kayak. You'll be able to lift it overhead from the side of the truck and put it into saddles.

On the other hand, if you have a nice and heavy (70#) sit in kayak the hully rollers work well. I have to lean mine on the tailgate and carefully push it onto the hully rollers. While trying not to break off the rear washer nozzle.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
J style if you are going to put more than one kayak on the roof. Rollers and Makos work well for just one. You will have a lower profile with the roller/Mako combo. I have one set of Thule J saddles that fold down. I'm not real impressed with their quality.

Be aware that the rollers can deform the plastic of the hull of regular style kayaks. To avoid this load the kayak deck down. The deck is more resistant to deformation. For SOTs, just load them on the rollers and saddles. They usually have pretty thick hulls. You can also get deformation of hulls against J style saddles, but this usually only occurs if you over tighten the straps.

For what it is worth, here is the technique I use for J style.
* Lift just the bow of the boat and put it on the front J. Leave the stern down low (if you have a helper) or on the ground.
* Now go back to the stern and lift it to chest height. Keeping the stern out from the car about two feet will help with the next step.
* Slide the boat up on the front J a bit until it balances.
You will need to play with how much on the side you put the boat for this step. For some of my kayaks I can corkscrew them to the side while sliding them. Others I have to start with them on their side.
* Now lift the stern the rest of the way up to the back J.

I call this teeter-tooter. Trying to pick a kayak up and put it on both J saddles can be difficult double, near impossible solo on a vehicle as tall as the Xterra. This approach keeps you from lifting the full weight of the boat and have to lift that over the J and into the saddle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Future Beach Anglee 160, heavy kayak. I have J style rack holders and its near impossible to load it yourself. Im 6"6 and work out. Like people said Xterra is a tall truck which just makes it hardee to load. I already scratched the top of my rear hatch trying to do it myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J style if you are going to put more than one kayak on the roof. Rollers and Makos work well for just one. You will have a lower profile with the roller/Mako combo. I have one set of Thule J saddles that fold down. I'm not real impressed with their quality.

Be aware that the rollers can deform the plastic of the hull of regular style kayaks. To avoid this load the kayak deck down. The deck is more resistant to deformation. For SOTs, just load them on the rollers and saddles. They usually have pretty thick hulls. You can also get deformation of hulls against J style saddles, but this usually only occurs if you over tighten the straps.

For what it is worth, here is the technique I use for J style.
* Lift just the bow of the boat and put it on the front J. Leave the stern down low (if you have a helper) or on the ground.
* Now go back to the stern and lift it to chest height. Keeping the stern out from the car about two feet will help with the next step.
* Slide the boat up on the front J a bit until it balances.
You will need to play with how much on the side you put the boat for this step. For some of my kayaks I can corkscrew them to the side while sliding them. Others I have to start with them on their side.
* Now lift the stern the rest of the way up to the back J.

I call this teeter-tooter. Trying to pick a kayak up and put it on both J saddles can be difficult double, near impossible solo on a vehicle as tall as the Xterra. This approach keeps you from lifting the full weight of the boat and have to lift that over the J and into the saddle.
I had no idea that the rollers could deform the bottom of the kayak....the one I'm looking at is a trophy kayak 12' so basically, a angler/fishing kayak so if I get the rollers, I'd have to flip the kayak over basically while the hull sits on top and deck on bottom, correct? I'm much concerned about scratching the hatch so I may just go the J-rack route.

So far, its looking like the J-rack is winning even though I'll take your advice on how to load it up. I have read some reviews about Thule and to hear your experience about it, I'll stay away from it.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
For what its worth, I have a dephep rack with square crossbars that he made custom brackets to mount them to the rack with.

My bars are intentionally wide enough to mount two kayaks flat, side by side, though what I currently use are Thule Hull-A-Port J racks. The stock crossbars are wide enough to mount two sets of J racks.

Anymore, what I'd want to use are the Thule saddles...Glide and Set?

·
Registered
340 Posts
^ Harbor Freight has something similar for $99
You can sleeve an extension for another $20 bucks or so.
I used it with a mini van when the kids were young...twice
tandem yaks, should work the treat on an X for WAY less money.

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For what its worth, I have a dephep rack with square crossbars that he made custom brackets to mount them to the rack with.

My bars are intentionally wide enough to mount two kayaks flat, side by side, though what I currently use are Thule Hull-A-Port J racks. The stock crossbars are wide enough to mount two sets of J racks.

Anymore, what I'd want to use are the Thule saddles...Glide and Set?

Thanks for the pic! That's kinda what I'm going for. I do have the square tube on mine (currently being painted) but I have the same custom mounts from dephep as you do too.

Thanks for the link....that would be great but the price....not so much. Don't think I'd use it that much enough to justify that cost. Thanks for the idea though!

^ Harbor Freight has something similar for $99
You can sleeve an extension for another $20 bucks or so.
I used it with a mini van when the kids were young...twice
tandem yaks, should work the treat on an X for WAY less money.
If you go this route from HF, let us know.

So far, I've ordered Malone Downloaders J-rack that is foldable like Thule Hull a Pro.

We'll see how they are when I get it this week.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Thanks for the pic! That's kinda what I'm going for. I do have the square tube on mine (currently being painted) but I have the same custom mounts from dephep as you do too.

I designed them... you are welcome! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the Yakima J-racks that I use when I haul two yaks. I have had them for 3 years or so and my complaints are minimal. I typically have a helper so loading is pretty easy. I did load them alone a few times on my 2000 X through shear willpower and brute force, but my '10 is a bit taller so I probably wont be trying it unless I absolutely have to. If youre hauling two I would go with the Js.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts