Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

K1mj's Overland Build

13K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  k1mj 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: I bought this truck in 2016 with 100K on it and have been slowly building it. I go on multi day overland trips and my goal is to be able to carry all my gear and also be able to tackle challenging trails. I have recently managed to retire this rig from the daily commute and hope to keep it for a long time. Right now it has 130K on it.

Username: k1mj

Make: Nissan
Year: 2005
Model: Xterra
Trim: S
Color: Granite

Transmittion:
5AT

MODS

So far I have done the following upgrades:

Exterior:
Expedition One front bumper
Expedition One front skid plates
Baja designs Squadron sport amber cornering lights in the front bumper
Warn VR10S winch with synthetic line
Shrockworks rock sliders
Shrockworks rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and hi-lift mount
Front runner fold out table mounted on the tire carrier
Hilift Extreme jack
Trasharoo garbage/recovery gear bag
Diamond 2m/70cm Antenna on the tire carrier
2X 5 gallon Rotopax on the roof
Waterport solar shower on the roof
KC Daylighters with Gravity 6 LEDs
P&P Engineering light cage
Wraingler Xterra roof rack net
Wraigler roof rack cargo net
Rear view camera on the rear license plate (from Amazon)

Drivetrain and Suspension:
Upgraded front R180 to 3.69 ratio
Upgraded rear end to M226 with e-locker 3.69 gear ratio
Rear diff breather mod
Front coilovers: Radflo 2.5 inch extended travel, 600 eibach spings
SPC upper control arms
1 inch spacer top plate spacer
Longer pressed studs for the coilovers
Rear: Radflo Emulsion shocks (2-3 inch lift)
OME CS061R XL 2.5 inch Lift Leaf Pack
PRG adjustable shackles
33'' tires: 285/75/16 BFG KO2
Procomp 7089 wheels

Interior:
Bluesea fusebox
Kenwood TM 281A Radio (Ham)
Midland handheld/mobile CB radio
Samsung tablet running Gaia GPS
Garmin GLO GPS module
Sony XAV-AX100 media player with Android Auto
ALPINE SPR-69 6X9 speakers for front
Polk Audio DB652 speakers for rear
Focal TiS 1.5 tweeters
Rear cargo net
Dephep rear window molle panel
Molle pouches of various sizes and types for storing different things here and there
Custom homebuilt drawer for the cargo area
Pullout board/expandable picnic table
ARB 50qt fridge/freezer
Semi custom dual battery system: 100AH Renology AGM battery, ARKPAK730 Battery box, and Projecta IDC25 DC to DC charger
50A air compressor mounted in the back

PHOTOS

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Today, I put on new wheels too. The rear wheels were rubbing on to the frame when flexing so I got a set of procomps with more offset to eliminate the issue. Had to trim the bottom part of the fenders to have them fit but well worth it. I'm liking the wider stance.

Here is how she looks now.

#18 ·
Had some time to work a little more on the drawer this weekend. I installed my air compressor. Took out the plastic bin from the cargo area and installed the semi complete drawer system (doesn't have an actual drawer yet) but will add that too. The hardest part of this project so far has been installing the cabinet in the car. I wanted it to be extra secure so I don't have to worry about the fridge falling on my dog in case of un-planned off-road turbulence! Next steps are:
1-Add my dual battery system and wiring
2-Add a hinged door to to the right side to cover the bin
3-Add the drawer

#19 ·
@k1mj nice rig

question about the bottom fender trim - did you follow a guide posted here? I'm trying to find the best method on how to do it.

I'll be doing a similar setup to you with procomps. Not sure if I will go kO2's or duratracs yet.

Also you had to trim coilbuckets too right? What settings are you using in the PRG shackle? Did you do camber bolts?

#20 ·
Hey, thanks!

If you are running 33" tires you can get away with some minor cutting and bending the corner of the fender. I followed this guide

I did not trim coil buckets. Is that to eliminated contact with the UCA? I am running SPC UCAs and there is no contact. As for camber bolts, my truck has adjustable bolts on the LCAs (some early models have these factory bolts) but I haven't been able to get a good alignment yet. I need to do more research on that and see what can be done.

My PRG shackles are in the center hole right now and the truck is level when it is empty. But when I go wheeling it is usually fully loaded with stuff and that brings the rear a little lower than front. So I plan to put them on the upper hole.

#22 ·
Nice rig!
I'm fixing to swap my stock 3.13s front and back for an R180/M226 3.69. Did you have to run a different driveshaft? I was told I'd need one drivers side ABS sensor, is there anything else I should be prepared for?
Thx

Reactions: k1mj
#23 ·
You already have the R180A in the front so you don't need to change any sensors there. You are either changing the gears or the entire diff, either way you won't need a sensor in the front unless you have a broken one.

In the rear, if you are changing to an M226 axle then you will need new sensors cause they don't interchange. Your best bet is to find a complete M226 assembly that comes with sensors and brake components/ rotors etc. Cause those are all different from C200K. You will also need the wiring harness that goes into the e-locker. I ended up getting a new M226 axle but it did not have the brakes or the sensors so I had to source all the missing parts myself.

In terms of drive shaft, no I didn't need to change it. It fit perfectly, we did have a discussion about it here on the forum https://www.thenewx.org/threads/c200k-with-arb-vs-m226-with-e-locker-axle-swap.261129/#post-4108050
There's some good info for you in there. I suggest you do your own research about that since some have different flanges that I can't remember right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.