Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has done research into changing the stock air intake to an after market (K&N,Volant,Air Raid) and changing just the air filter to a K&N?

I am interested in getting some better performance and some better sound on the low end. What I do not want is a whine or whistle on the highway though.

·
on line
145 Posts
Unfortunately butt dynos and manufacturer's "promises" are the only thing to go by presently. I am in the same boat too. From what I can gather so far the factory intake is not a restriction. The best thing you can do is cut the silencer shorter inside the air filter box, and drop in a free flowing filter of your choice. The only drop-in filters appear to be regular paper type, the good old K&N, and TrueFlow which is oiled foam type. I am still undecided on which way to go.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Well I can vouch for the K&N drop in that you will not hear any difference. I did feel the car perform better with it installed but I can't say that it changed the way the X sounded that much at all if any.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Volant all the way dude. Go big or go home. Its the only TRUE cold air intake.
:laughing1:

Stillen too, it's just soo damned close to the stock box, I can't see why... :dontknow:

·
on line
279 Posts
mcampana said:
Just get the amsoil air filter for the volant

...or just get the Volant box with the Powercore filter. That's what I did. Cost me about $50 more than the standard cotton gauze filter, apparently it flows like mad, is oil-less (good thing for wheeling), and supposedly it lasts 100k. We'll see, but I have no reason to doubt Volant.

·
on line
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with the Volant Kit

·
on line
369 Posts
I'm thinking of dropping a new filter into the stock airbox and replacing the stock piping from the MAF to the throttle body with a nice smooth free-flowing tube. Any ideas on the tube? I also would like to do what MC did by extending the air intake with some flexible hose, although I'm not sure exactly where to run the hose.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
rs182 said:
I also would like to do what MC did by extending the air intake with some flexible hose, although I'm not sure exactly where to run the hose.
x2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts