Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've got a K&N FIPK on my X... and i hate it now. its covered in mud, dirt, bugs... i am seriously thinking about putting my stock intake back on. is volant a sealed box? i know not many owners drive through mud (only way to get through a trail) or sand as much as i do.
truth is i am tired of cleaning the filter twice a month. i work with my friends construction company, and we drive through sandy areas everyday... so this K&N doesn't stay clean for long. owners of the volant setup, any problems? i either give this FIPK to my dad and buy the volant, or swap my dad for his stock.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I took a good, long, hard look at the stock intake. Like a really good look, maybe 10 minutes or more. I don't think its restrictive at all compared to other intakes nor do I think its a massive power robber. It pulls in cooler air through the fender, has a pefectly round tube, and no hard bends or kinks. I think its a pretty damn good stock intake.

I just added a K&N replacement filter and cut out the silencer. Did it give me any horsepower increase? I don't know. I do know it has little more noticable growl now and even has a small whistle in the upper RPMs in 2nd and 3rd. It breaths better, so in theory is should have provided more HP....not enough to notice by my ButtDynometer though. To be honest, I never plan on doing a complete aftermarket intake..the stock one seems perfect. The Volant intake comes close, but it can be a pain to install with the horn and what not. Stock actually works great for once.

I say get the stock intake, cut the silencer and do a filter. I suggest the AEM DryFlo since you won't ever have to oil it.

·
on line
67 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but does someone have a picture of where they cut out the "silencer" on the stock intake?

Thanks,
Devandra

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i never thought about cutting the silincer out of the stock intake. i didnt think you could actually. got a picture?

·
on line
4,495 Posts

Thats not mine, but a guy over at ClubFrontier.org, but its all the same. I just didn't have a pic of mine and borrowed his pic. :)

He used a knife and file, but I used a RotoZip type tool from Dewalt. Basically just cut that tube flush. Like I said, who knows if this adds any hp but it does breathe easier. Instead of the air just hitting one spot of the filter it now utilizes all of it. Quick. Simple. FREE.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, to add to the mud being on my filter... my MAF sensor was missing a bolt too!! with the gap around the MAF it was sucking in more air and running richer. that was a problem i had a few months ago when it was cold, but now i fixed it! cleaned the intake tube, removed the throttle body and cleaned that too, cleand the filter and MAF... lots of cleaning

but the stock intake is going on before GONE. the whole procedure of cleaning the filter, waiting for it to dry, oiling it, waiting some more, installing everything... its getting old and boring.

·
on line
246 Posts
driver X said:
but the stock intake is going on before GONE. the whole procedure of cleaning the filter, waiting for it to dry, oiling it, waiting some more, installing everything... its getting old and boring.
Aye, When it is time to oil mine I am going to seriously consider an Amsoil replacment. I didn't pay for the intake, so I don't feel like I am loosing anything.

·
on line
142 Posts
I've heard from several experienced Jeepers that the K&Ns aren't good for heavy off-road use. They clog too fast and let some fine dust through. Sounds like your experience is confirming this.

Just my $.02.

Z.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
As Peck mentioned, the stock intake appears to be quite well designed. I personally don't see the value in spending X-hundreds of dollars on a new intake when you'll barely notice any change. It seems to me that that cash would be better spent if put towards headers or exhaust.

I recently bought 20 stock filters from yournissanparts.com and replace them once they get too dirty for my liking.

·
on line
142 Posts
Yeah! Spend your $$ replacing that crappy Y collector right before the muffler. Talk about some poor engineering.

Funny how some parts on the X are great and others are shite.

Z.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
It seems to me that that cash would be better spent if put towards headers or exhaust.
word.
S E Xterras posting has spurred my interest in the NISMO headers, which I'm 98% sure to buy this month. I will keep the OE intake, and I'm leaning towards a Magnaflow catback. If my plan goes right, they should cost about as much as the JBAs..

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i already replaced the y-pipe and muffler (dont really know why, but it was free). hopefully i will SExTerras exhaust at GONE then i will decide if i want headers or not.

i had the K&N setup on my Cherokee, and it did pretty good. even with the heat shield. one of the reasons for installing it on the X. but now my attitude toward K&N is changing. for now stock is better IMO.

·
on line
355 Posts
very cool silencer idea.

I started with a K&N drop-in. I only gave it a couple days instead of properly trying it out. I decided I felt nothing, so I took it out and sold it.

I thought I wanted an intake a while back. There is a thread somewhere of my Injen Powerflow box install/testing. Since that box had all screen siding, it was way too loud for me. If I ever floored it on the freeway and it hit 4500rpm+, every car within 100 feet would look at me like I was an idiot. The sound was also so annoying to me personally, I took the system off and sold it.

I then got a unexpected deal of another new K&N drop in at my local store for $36 out the door by a cashiers mistake. I still have that drop in to this day, its been maybe a month? After I really focused on the post 4000rpm feeling, I thought it might feel a bit better. I decided I might as well leave it in.

Even today I think about getting a Volant. But I always have to think back to these experiences to remember I don't like the noise. The silencer removal is a decnet idea, thought I don't like the fact that its permanent. I thought you meant removing the fender horn only, which is temporary.

I like thinking about intakes and running possibilities thru my head. But I hope I never buy anther one, as it would likely be a bad move for me personally.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
burnout said:
The silencer removal is a decnet idea, thought I don't like the fact that its permanent. I thought you meant removing the fender horn only, which is temporary.
You could always buy a new box from Nissan if you didn't like it, spendy I know but nto 100% permanent.

·
on line
355 Posts
lostboy said:
burnout said:
The silencer removal is a decnet idea, thought I don't like the fact that its permanent. I thought you meant removing the fender horn only, which is temporary.
You could always buy a new box from Nissan if you didn't like it, spendy I know but nto 100% permanent.
I'd hate to price a new factory air box. prob $150...

·
on line
355 Posts
$8.94 for that huge part??? Man I'll have to see that to believe it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts