Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know why there's so much open space around the plastic tube where it enters the box ? The filter gets the air from the fender, but there's at least 1.5" of open space around the tube where the filter is attached, and that will get the hot air from the engine i suppose. My question is for the X obviously, as I saw a K&N CAI for a 2013 Grand Cherokee on display, and if I'm not mistaken, , it's closed completely in that section, and thinking why K&N did not do the same for the X. Is it to allow free play of the tube and filter ?? Any benefit to that design ? Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the volume of air being sucked in, that split isn't going to pull much of anything in from the engine bay. No more so than the hotter air you pull in by installing a "C"AI and ditching the factory draw from the fender well.

If you cant tell i'm pretty anti CAI lol. They can increase flow with larger tubing or some increase pressure to an extent with good design but all of it is negligible and lost by the fact that you're sucking up warmer engine bay air. Specially when the X has a fairly efficient set up minus the in-fender pickup tube.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
You are asking about the rectangular hole in the pipe correct? If so that is where the mass air flow sensor bolts in. If you are interested in a cai look into the volant #12740. It seals up to the fender and the box is closed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. With the volume of air being sucked in, that split isn't going to pull much of anything in from the engine bay. No more so than the hotter air you pull in by installing a "C"AI and ditching the factory draw from the fender well.

They can increase flow with larger tubing or some increase pressure to an extent with good design but all of it is negligible and lost by the fact that you're sucking up warmer engine bay air. Specially when the X has a fairly efficient set up minus the in-fender pickup tube.
Correct.
With an open top you will be sucking in engine heat anyway. The open area around the tube don't matter.
Having run many dyno runs on my Mustangs at different temps, I have seen that cold air is king.
Greater airflow is nice, but it only accounts for a small increase in power (maybe 2%). Colder air from the outside on a cool day can give you twice that easy.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I guess it won't make any difference. As for the hot air coming from the top, my impression is that the top is touching the hood when closed, and so no air is getting through from the top. Hood lining seems to touch that rubber belt on top of the box. So air is coming from fender and from that gap I was asking about .

·
Registered
79 Posts
cold air tube gap

in the past ive used nismo and k&n both have some gap and you could take up that gap with insulation or duct tape. these are supposed to be cold air set-ups but when they chanel the tubes across things that radiate heat ei. radiators or exhaust manifolds the cold air principal goes out the window.try wraping the tubes with a heat blanket to maintain the cold air in the tube.ive done this in the past with noticeable results

1 - 8 of 8 Posts