Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Like the Air filters, the benefit is instead of blowing $12-14 every 6 mos for a new filter. You can blow $79 and have one you can wash out. Other than that the next argument is micron particle sizes captured or passed and frankly. My physicist license isnt exactly up to date right now.

Justification of the means is if you have allergies enough that the cabin filters actually help or mitigate possible issues and if so, Would frequent changing be offset by frequent cleaning instead of replacement..?

Balls in your court

·
Registered
28 Posts
Either route picked, try throwing a dryer sheet on top of it when you replace them.. Silly but it smells nice and fresh like a fresh dried batch of towels. lol

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Either route picked, try throwing a dryer sheet on top of it when you replace them.. Silly but it smells nice and fresh like a fresh dried batch of towels. lol

How about you do a write up on an Xterra. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Cabin filters are goid for keeping leaves, twigs, dirt and other crap out of your blower. Down here in the Southeastern US the pine pollen is really bad in the spring and the filter does make a sizeable difference compared to my wife's van which isn't equipped with one. But the reality is tgat these filters are not like the HEPA filters I deal with at work that are 99.98% efficient at .3 microns.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about you do a write up on an Xterra. Let us know how that goes.
Would you require a lil write up or would you prefer an entire build sheet and project log with full documentation showing everything from company support, vendors submissions, to the end user signing the checks?

All I suggested was a mild sharing a useful thought..

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
To think of how many decades I had to go in vehicles that didn't have any filter and surprised I'm still alive! [/sarc]

I'm not sure there would be any reason to spend anything on a $ filter, other than of it gets bad enough that it causes hvac performance issues. How often would you *really* need to change this and if it's really a concern, why not adapt something that is cheap vs paying the marketing fees at the auto parts stores?

Kind of like how they ream the diesel folks with that 'special' liquid that is nothing more than urea solution that you could get for pennies per gallon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
to speculate..

2013 Xterra Owners Manual states:

"In-Cabin Microfilter Standard equipment on cube, Murano, Altima, Altima Coupe, Armada Platinum, Pathfinder, Frontier LE and Pro-4X Off-Road, Maxima, Titan Crew Cab LE, Quest, Rogue, Sentra, Versa Hatchback and Xterra (except X).

Optional accessory on some models. Replace at specified intervals. When driving for prolonged periods in dusty conditions, replace the filter more frequently.

In-Cabin Microfilter
The In-Cabin Microfilter filters the air you breathe in your vehicle. This system filters both outside and recirculated air used by the air conditioning system in your vehicle. Replacing the Microfilter every year or 15,000 miles is the best way to help prevent road dust, pollen and other air pollutants from entering the interior of your vehicle and the air you breathe. If your vehicle is not equipped with an In-Cabin Microfilter system – see your Nissan dealer about getting one installed – you’ll breathe easier."

Source: http://x.nissanhelp.com/service/2013_service_guide.pdf

In regards to just common Air filters, Nissan offered the following advice:

"How often should I replace my air filter

It's hard to give a specific time or mileage figure because the life of the filter depends on how much crud it ingests. A filter that lasts 20,000 or even 30,000 miles on a vehicle that's driven mostly on expressways may last only a month or two in a rural setting where the vehicle is driven frequently on gravel roads. Changing it annually or every 15,000 miles for preventative maintenance may be a good recommendation for the city driver, but not its country cousin.

Regardless of the mileage or time, a filter should be replaced before it reaches the point where it creates a significant restriction to airflow. But when exactly that point is reached is subject to opinion.

A slightly dirty filter actually cleans more efficiently than a brand new filter. That's because the debris trapped by the filter element helps screen out smaller particles that try to get through. But eventually every filter reaches the point where it causes enough of a pressure drop to restrict airflow. Fuel economy, performance and emissions begin to deteriorate and get progressively worse until the dirty filter is replaced.

Removing the filter and holding it up to a light will show you how dirty it is. If it's really caked with dirt, it obviously needs to be replaced. Trying to shake or blow the dirt out is a waste of time because too much of it will be embedded in the filter fibers.

NOTE: Many filters that appear to be dirty are in fact still good and do not really need to be replaced. So it's up to you. If you think it's dirty, replace it. If you don't think it's dirty enough to need replacing, then don't. In some non-factory air filter appear to be clean, but it's always clean because this filter do not hold the dirt, and all the dirt goes inside the engine.

Source::
Nissan How often should I replace my air filter | Nissanhelp.com

However, the argument rests at.. [conservatively] 15,000 mile changes X 6 (12,000 avg miles per year - 6 years (? total changes over life of vehicle) @ $13.99 = $83.94 +tax VS $79.99 +tax X (1) as long as you own your Xterra [washable filter].

Seems a wash.. bragging rights? unlimited expendable funds? Mehhhh, call it what it is.. Who cares if the lil lady [G/F = Wifey] sits with stuffy snot noses in the passenger seat anyway? lolz
@JNR in reference to the DEF fluid Its basically refined pig urine, you could almost get away with pissing in it but the truth is in an effort to scrub the air with a $1 for all of the excess dirt licking, tree hugging, faux climate changing underage hippies; places like Kalifornistan have made it so that you have to pay to drive or idle your diesel trucks, pay to add the systems to current trucks in order to stay "Compliant" with Kalifornistan's strict Statutory codes if you want to enter the STATE, and pay for yearly inspections of said systems and all for the sake of dinging drivers, owners, business for something else to further revenue generation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts