Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you fellow X enthusiasts:

I figured it was about time to clean my K & N air filter, so I purchased the kit and read the instructions. It seems fairly straightforward, but I'm certain that with all the collective experience here, someone would have a few good pointers.

I'm also wondering how often do you clean yours? I believe it's been around 28,000 miles since I dropped it in, and almost all of those have been highway miles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-John

·
on line
246 Posts
Don't remember the mileage that they suggest you clean it at, just they they said about every year. From past experience I'd get a temporary cone filter to drive with for a couple days. The way I plan to clean mine is to clean it with the solution like they say to, let it like they say to, but when I reapply the oil I plan to stand it on one end, probably small side down, and oil the top and let gravity pull the oil down. I am saying this because when I re-oiled the drop in filter on my TBI S-10 I used way to much oil and was cleaning oil out of the air filter enclosure for about a year (progressively less each time). Thankfully the S-10 didn't use a MAF and there really wasn't much the oil could effect, but there is on the Xterra so I plan to let the oil fill the areas as needed over a couple of days. Besides, it's never a bad idea to have a spare air filter.

Edit**
Right, you have a drop in... Same principle still applies. Lean the rectangle up against something (where the ridges run up and down) and let gravity do the work while you use a stock filter for a couple of days.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
There is a new no have to clean with chemical and oil filter technology. Everyone has it, and, if you get a new filter consider it. Vacuum clean once a year or whenever. Plus, can be tapped clean on the trail if you bite the dust. Big SUV X Bonus! 15 times better filtration! WOW!
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

This would be a picture of such filter compared to the K&N I took out after I saw what particles it allowed into the engine compared to an Amsoil filter. Notice the greater surface area to = better filtration and flow.
This filter is a must when running the amsoil 25K mile Oil. If you have a K&N you actually have to trash that same oil in 1/4 time as a factory filter. What's that tell you? Use above link to see for yourself.

AMSOIL Ea Air Filters represent a major breakthrough in filtration technology. The revolutionary nanofiber technology used in AMSOIL Ea Filters captures more dirt, holds more dirt and allows better air flow than conventional air filters. AMSOIL Ea Filters improve engine performance and help engines last longer.

Absolute Efficiency
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters are the most efficient filters available to the car/light truck market. Ea Air Filters’ synthetic nanofiber media removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media. AMSOIL Ea Air Filters have a service life of 100,000 miles or four years, whichever comes first.

Better Air Flow
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters allow more airflow than filters that use cellulose media alone. Cellulose fibers are larger than nanofibers, and have larger spaces between the fibers, causing contaminants to load in the depth of the media and plug the airflow path, which results in higher restriction and less capacity. The synthetic nanofibers in EaA Filter media have submicron diameters and small interfiber spaces, which result in more contaminants being captured on the surface of the media and lower restriction.

More Capacity
AMSOIL Ea Air Filters hold up to two and a half times more contaminants than cellulose air filters. Since the nanofibers in the media are so small there are more pores per square inch, allowing for higher dirt-holding capacity and lower pressure drop when compared to cellulose filter media alone. Thinner media fibers produce more uniform pore size distribution, improving the filter’s overall quality and ability to capture and retain particles. Testing shows that Ea Air Filters hold 15 times more contaminants than a wet gauze type

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index
Go there and enter your build info
PM me for a dealer no if you need one.
MC

·
on line
46 Posts
I only re-oiled air intake side not , side facing engine intake..and oiled lightly, oil from filter can really mess up MAF sensors

·
on line
358 Posts
LIGHTLY OIL! The best way to clean is with some dish soap in hot water. Swoosh and bounce in the soapy water. Rinse well and alow to dry, stand up on one corner. OIL LIGHTLY!!!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
These guys are not kidding when they say LIGHTLY oil. I must have put the magic amount on to jack up the MAF sensor and boy was that a Pain. So really do consider the new style if buying a new filter, Amsoil is not only one with it out. I think they have one called the Air Hog. But no cleaning with chemicals (Extra cost) and no adding oil is good.

But for those that are oiling because they have to. 1st put in a spare filter and take your time. Then lightly spray it as directed and stop! Let it soak in a few hours and add oil until you just get full even coverage and stop! Be like a whole 2 day project with cleaning drying and oiling. MC

·
on line
358 Posts
I know I won't be buying an oil type filter again, but I'm also not replacing mine. I'm just careful with my oiling. Looks like the Amsoil or TrueFlo are the way to go.

·
on line
551 Posts
I ran a K&N in my Dakota, and though no problems I really didn't feel it was worth the money. Cleaning and re-oiling wasn't that big a deal, just have to take your time.
I've been running the Fram Tough Guard in my work truck that sees lot of dust, and have had no ill effects. Lightly oiled and the same price as the regular AF. Lasts about the same, but it breathes real easy. I just put one in the Xterra to try out, and it's way better than stock. Truck appears to breathe easier and has a little more get up and go along with the low growl at WOT.
I have been giving the Amsoil filter some heavy consideration when it's time to change.

·
on line
355 Posts
i do like Amsoil, dont get me wrong. I been using it for years. But all your "proof" means nothing, since its all taken from the Amsoil site. What are they gonna say, it doesnt work well??

i want to see an independant test from a professional establishment doing some head to heads with Amsoils new air filter against the K&N and maybe the crappy fram stuff too.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
It's America, you go buy what ya want, If you don't want to take the time to read on the WWW all the options, I sure as heck am not going to try to convince you to buy Amsoil. Their test are by independent labs. But I am not here to convince anyone. I spend a lot of time here letting people know what is best from an old timers point of view, and I get a lot of Prove it explain it, convince me. When my 70 year old father say use an Amsoil filter, I use an amsoil filter. Just who do you think makes that filter? Find out. Took me like an Hour to PROVE the amsoil transmission fluid was above and beyond the specs for Nissan J. I'm not going to do any more Proving for people why can't look for themselves. You go look, you decide what ya want, I'm running Amsoil.

To provide knowledge is to be a target.

·
on line
89 Posts
ChrisTerra said:
I know I won't be buying an oil type filter again, but I'm also not replacing mine. I'm just careful with my oiling. Looks like the Amsoil or TrueFlo are the way to go.
Stay away from the trueflow in my opinion. I had one in for about three months and the inside of my airbox was covered with oil. From the factory the oil seemed way too much. I got really worried about my airflow sensor and put the stock back in. A few weeks ago I got the AMSOIL Ea filter and it seems just as good without the oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts