Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know I posted a while back about my K&N setup and the problems I had with it. But now I am thinking about putting it back on. I know, I can't make up my mind!!
Heres the problem, driving the freeways here in sin city I have a hard time keeping up with traffic. Speed limit is 65mph and traffic flows between 65-70. Slight inclines in the freeways, I notice my speed dropping and I have to give it more gas to keep up. This is all with my stock intake. So I have decided to put my K&N back on in hopes of not having to throttle it more.
K&N problem: while it was installed on the vehicle it started rubbing on the fender, which rubbed the paint off and put a nice hole in the filter! Metal to metal contact = not good. So, I went to a few places this morning trying to find a replacement filter and no luck. Closest I can get is a 7" straight round with a 3.5" mounting hole, which will install perfectly onto the pipe and get rid of the 6"-3.5" adapter.
Question: has anyone else with a K&N had problems with it rubbing on the fender? I know it has a bracket that is supposed to hold the pipe up, but it does a crappy job of doing it. I've got the filter, and will mount it this afternoon when the temp drops below 100 degrees. Pics will follow if it works or does not work :bounce:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I had the FIPK kit on my Dodge Ram and I to be honest, I didnt care for it that much. I just felt that my car didnt react to it properly, if you understand what I mean.

Anyways, with the X I drove with the stock setup for about a year and then switched to a drop in K&N filter. I really enjoy this setup the best. It takes a bit to get comfortable with but after about a week or so I really think the X adjusted properly to it. I get great acceleration on the highways and I dont get that strained startup I would with the Dodge due to the larger open aired cone filter.

Maybe I am giving my cars too much credit but I am happier with the drop in than I was with the FIPK kit I had on the Ram.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I have the K&N on my X right now and dont have any problems.... the only thing i dont like about it, is that it allows hot air to be sucked in from the engine (its not totally sealed). So Im going to modify it a little bit to have it completely sealed.

·
on line
246 Posts
The problem I had a couple weeks ago was that the band clamps loosened up, or the rubber peices are shrinking and it let the filter tilt down and started vibrating on the fender. All i had to do was tilt it back up and tighten down the clamps again. All the clamps were about half a turn loose. So if you haven't checked you band clamps since you installed it check them.

·
on line
5 Posts
I have replaced my lower air box with a unit from a Titan that i had when i put a Fram Boost on that i won from their promo give away on the Titan.The air boxs are the same (Bolt Holes,ETC) as the X's but the air "hole" from the fender is larger by quite a bit,so i swapped the boxes .I also cut out a couple of the molded square's with a dremel tool & cut back the horn that comes in from the fender well inlet & the throttle reponse is better & it makes that big air sucking sound.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Terdar said:
The problem I had a couple weeks ago was that the band clamps loosened up, or the rubber peices are shrinking and it let the filter tilt down and started vibrating on the fender. All i had to do was tilt it back up and tighten down the clamps again. All the clamps were about half a turn loose. So if you haven't checked you band clamps since you installed it check them.
I had that problem on my FIPK on my suburban... I found that the problem was that I tightened the clamps with a screw driver rather than a ratchet.... (you have the coice of doing both because they are hex bolts with a slot for a screwdriver) if you do it with a ratchet you can tighten them down much more....

So dont tighten them with a screw driver. See if that helps!!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
okay... sorry i was just pointing out one of the possible mistakes somebody could have made..... hell, i made it and I am perfect so i imagine that others will make it too....

LOL :laughing6:

·
on line
3,272 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
okay... sorry i was just pointing out one of the possible mistakes somebody could have made..... hell, i made it and I am perfect so i imagine that others will make it too....

LOL :laughing6:
x2

About a week after I installed it I wanted to show it off to my brother I popped the hood and he looked at it and said, should the cone be on?

Luckily it got caught somewhere safe.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i too had problems earlier with the filter vibrating off and hitting the fender. but i found the problem as to why it was resting on the fender. where the bracket comes off the intake tube and bolts to the drivers side of the engine (near the ground wire), that bracket was broken. so i took that off, filed it smooth, made a new bracket for the intake tube and bolted that down to the bolt that holds the engine bracket on.

filter fits a lot better than the cone one. i called K&N to get a filter number, and guess what!! they have no number for our filter :( BOOOO!
but the one i have is from Checker/Shucks/Kragen Auto but AutoZone and PepBoys have it too.

yes i did use a ratchet to tighten everything down, and after my test drive on the freeway for a few miles the filter came off! but i put it back on, tightened it again, drove another 15 miles and its still tight. so i will keep an eye on that one.

this straight filter is not as loud as the cone filter, but it does fit a lot smoother and looks somewhat nicer IMO.

it was HOT working in the driveway... so pics will follow when the sun sets

·
on line
1,361 Posts
driver X said:
Okay, I know I posted a while back about my K&N setup and the problems I had with it. But now I am thinking about putting it back on. I know, I can't make up my mind!!
Heres the problem, driving the freeways here in sin city I have a hard time keeping up with traffic. Speed limit is 65mph and traffic flows between 65-70. Slight inclines in the freeways, I notice my speed dropping and I have to give it more gas to keep up.
I am suprised you have trouble keeping up. I travel between 65 - 80 on the freeways and stay with traffic just fine. No help on the k&n issue though.

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lostboy said:
I am suprised you have trouble keeping up. I travel between 65 - 80 on the freeways and stay with traffic just fine. No help on the k&n issue though.
ive got the Yak Rack, spare tire up top, lights up top, and 285s...

maybe my right foot is getting a little light now ?????

·
on line
355 Posts
lostboy said:
Yup, the car has plenty of power for any freeway driving. Yours must be broke. Try a 6 cyl Jeep sometime and then see how you like the Xterra.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
burnout said:
lostboy said:
Yup, the car has plenty of power for any freeway driving. Yours must be broke. Try a 6 cyl Jeep sometime and then see how you like the Xterra.
how about a 4cyl Jeep, thats what I came from.

I bet the 285's, and lights add a bit but I would still think the X could handle it just fine. Maybe your foot is getting light, or maybe your idea of fast is faster than mine :geek:

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i came from a 97 cherokee with the inline 6. it was lifted with 33s and 4.10 gears. never had a problem.... and ive also got a street-modified 79 malibu.

so i am thinking my right foot has problems when i drive the X. maybe im being to easy on it. and i dont really have a definition of "fast" anymore seeing as everyone else on the roads drives faster than me :happy8:

·
on line
2 Posts
K&N FIPK

I just installed the K&N FIPK (the one with the plastic tube) on my 05 XTerra and everything went OK but the instructions failed to mention what to do with one hose that attached to the bottom of the stock air box. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts