Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Luk clutch and luk flywheel on rock auto for under 500...maybe another 800 in labor. Come one whos really paying 2500 or 4000 for a clutch.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Luk clutch and luk flywheel on rock auto for under 500...maybe another 800 in labor. Come one whos really paying 2500 or 4000 for a clutch.
Depends on if the shop up charges on parts. In my area, most shops add 10-25% on parts they also won’t install customer supplied parts. $4,000 sounds outrageous but I can see $2,500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always refused to bring my vehicles to shops that wont let me supply my own parts.......oh youre going to order napa wheel bearing hub assemblies that cost 400 a piece, but you wont install my timkens that cost me 300...nah I’m all set.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I have always refused to bring my vehicles to shops that wont let me supply my own parts.......oh youre going to order napa wheel bearing hub assemblies that cost 400 a piece, but you wont install my timkens that cost me 300...nah I’m all set.
Try being on the other side. Every shop I worked at or managed we never used customer parts. Everytime we did it was a nightmare. Customer supplied starter craps out a week later and they are expecting us to remove and re-install another one for free. Customer supplies a radiator that needs modification to fit. Now we are calling them to tell them there is going to be more labor or they need to find a better fitting part. Not only that but to make the money we need to keep the lights on, pay the techs salary, tool allowance, uniforms, benefits, haz waste disposal fees, sales tax, garagekeepers insurance, internet, water, electric, advertising, etc, we needed to make money off parts and labor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Try being on the other side. Every shop I worked at or managed we never used customer parts. Everytime we did it was a nightmare. Customer supplied starter craps out a week later and they are expecting us to remove and re-install another one for free. Customer supplies a radiator that needs modification to fit. Now we are calling them to tell them there is going to be more labor or they need to find a better fitting part. Not only that but to make the money we need to keep the lights on, pay the techs salary, tool allowance, uniforms, benefits, haz waste disposal fees, sales tax, garagekeepers insurance, internet, water, electric, advertising, etc, we needed to make money off parts and labor.
Curious, what about just replacing fluids? Say I brought the truck in to have all the fluids replaced with manufacturer recommended fluids (which is what I'm guessing most garages would use anyway), I'm guessing there shouldnt be any issues with that (minus selling said fluids above cost)?

Wouldn't some profit be better than no profit (unless the garage is super busy)??

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Fluids we were fine with. It was rare though. We sold BG full synthetic fluids at a very competitive price. But we did have a few regualrs that wanted oil changes and used Redline or Amsoil etc. That was okay. Everytime we used customer parts for a repair and explained to them very clearly there was NO WARRANTY for part failure. If it has something to do with install yes but a failure of THEIR part meant they were on their own for the costs. Had one guy who's starter failed the next day he provided. He said he wanted us to take out the old one so he could exchange it and put in the replacement. He kept saying why should he pay us for labor again when he already paid once......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear you....but throwing a blanket policy out saying we wont allow customers to provide their own parts is kind of foolish, from a business perpsective. A starter, yes I understand.

A better policy may be that shops don’t warranty any parts or labor on customer provided parts. I mean if a big brake kit gets installed that a customer provided and the mechanic doesn’t put a bolt back in and the caliper flops around and cause damage obviously that’s on the shop. But if the caliper is installed and bled correctly then starts leaking at a seal or something a few weeks later that’s on the customer.

Business is business Do what works for you, but when you‘re dealing with educated informed enthusiasts you’re going to lose a lot of money by not taking the install jobs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, I haven’t. I’ve done plenty of hours working on my own vehicles though. I’ve had times when I didn’t want to Or was unable to replace parts myself though due to work schedules. I’ve always had an understanding with the shop about me providing my own parts. Like I said before I wont use a shop that wont let me provide my own parts. I know more about my vehicle (whichever vehicle I own) than 99% of general mechanics. I know shops want to provide a part thats “good enough” for a profit margin that makes sense to them. I’ll provide a superior part at the best possible price (to me) always. Most shops cant do that, they know they cant and if shop owners would not be stubborn and just install the nice parts some customers bring them they would have more money in their pocket.

·
Registered
47 Posts
See, that's the thing. YOU may know your car better than 99% of general mechanics. But when someone who has no idea what they're doing says they're going to supply a part, and it's a worthless piece of garbage they bought off of amazon/ebay/some random website, and it's subpar components, you'll understand the issue there. Especially when a locally owned/operated shop is doing the work, THEY are the ones that lose out here. Their business will get dragged through the mud over a garbage review, and they're the ones that have to pay the labor to correct it. They have all the overhead liability here. It's also the technicians that lose out when a job has to get refunded because of said cheap parts, and the shop doesn't pay them the labor. I can't tell you how many times I didn't get paid on a job because something way beyond my control took the reigns. So pardon me, if I came off as a dick about it.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Yup the vast majority of customers are not enthusiasts. The vast majority want to provide their own parts not because of a high quality part they want to use. It's because they googled and bought the cheapest thing they could find. When their part fails they come back and want it swapped for free. When we refuse, they go and tell all their friends and family: "yeah i had my car fixed at so and so shop and a week later it broke and they are refusing to do anything!" They then go to yelp and google and even the BBB to file complaints and leave poor reviews. We refused to do big brake kits and such as well. We did one for a jeep owner once. He complained over and over that we installed hardware wrong or did something wrong because it squealed when cold. Even the website for the kit stated there were minor trade off in comfort (ie noise and dusting) for performace. We installed and uninstalled those brakes 3 times and ate the bad reviews and free labor. We also had to stop free diagnostics. People come in, want to know whats wrong with their car, we tell them and they say thanks and drive off. Mechanics spend time diagnosing only to not make a penny on the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I understand where the shops are coming from. That’s awful with the big brake kit, what a turd.

I’m just saying that a blanket policy probably isn’t best....but if the business plan works for you And prevents headaches, then it works for you. I’ve had a shop owner tell me to bring my parts down, he checks them out gets the part # confirms fitment tells me no problem but there’s no warranty on the parts/labor from him. I agree, he installs, we both part ways happy with the transaction.

For example I bought a luk dmf For 250 (its the same as the Nissan part, literally if you buy the dmf from Nissan it has the luk imprint on it) and I found an OEM Nissan clutch kit for my truck for $330 From an online Nissan wholesaler. I wanted to remain 100% oem after going almost 200k on my original clutch, why roll the dice on aftermarket right? Brought parts to the shop and they checked them out and installed them. They made their money, I save mine, no issues.

If youre a shop owner and wanted to get oem flywheel and clutch kit for the customer then you are at the mercy of the local dealership on price. My local dealer wanted 660 for the clutch kit and somewhere near the same for the flywheel. Shop owner gets them, marks it up maybe 10-15% (which I understand having to go through the trouble of locating the parts) and I’m basically paying the labor for the install just in markups front the dealer/shop.

I completely understand that there are far more idiots in the world than rational sensible ones, all I’m saying is that throwing a blanket policy out for anything is limiting. I dont want to argue with any shop owners/employees on this forum, like I said I’ve spent many hours working on cars in my life and I fully appreciate the work professional mechanics do and can totally understand and relate to dealing with ignorant and irrational humans. We’re all here for the same reason, to spread knowledge and connect over this trucks platform. It’s all love baby.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I get it from the shops perspective. i actually got Nissan to install a i think it was a timken front hub. they just said no warranty on labor ony, which i expected. I was greatful they didnt force me to buy their part. but hey, they still made some $ on the labor charge.
sometimes businesses spend too much time fussining around with this or that being ok but this not etc.. its easier just to make a blanket policy that applies evenly to all customers.

the thing that sucks for the biz is if the customer is unsatisfied, justifiably or not, they can really do damage to the business with reviews/ word of mouth trashing. like satown210 said.

so its like either risk that situation, or just say no.

now, if your talking about something like a off road or specialty performance shop, they should be more accustomed to working with customer supplied parts/ customizations. but the average auto shop on main street.. yeah they deal with mostly people who only fix their car if its actually broken and generally want to pay as little as possible, resulting in sub par parts and not understanding when they break again its not the shops fault.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I asked for more pictures and he responded but didn't send any. The VIN was incorrect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What's up guys and gals, I am in the market for an Xterra with a manual trans and have already been in contact with this seller. I have an inspector going to check out the car on Monday the 21st. I figured for $150 if the car is a total crap shoot then money well spent. If its legit then could be a great find. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out.
Also according to the seller the reason the mileage is so low is because they bought it off an older woman who only drove stick shift trucks. When her family put her into a nursing home they sold the car to the current owner. he then said he taught his kids to drive stick with this car and that's why its already worn out.
He also sent me updated pics showing lite damage to the rt front fender, front bumper cover, rt rear door and 1/4 panel (small dents and scrapes).
I live in Illinois and have loved Xterra's since they came out. My mom had a new 2000 Xterra 2wd....and my sister and her husband still have the truck and use it daily in Florida. Anyway, if anyone sees a great deal let me know I'm still looking.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts