Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up the Xterra S Night Armor 4x4. If you had $500 to spend what would you get? I was thinking either an exhaust or air intake because I might be able to get better gas mileage but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
on line
707 Posts
If you plan on taking it off road the #1 suggestion is usually sliders. IMO exhaust and intakes do help performance but it will take a lot of miles before you would recoup the cost for those in gas savings.

If you do look at an intake Volant seems to be the one most people here recommend.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
go to shrockworks.com order sliders and skid plates rear bumper, if u want front bumper order it with a winch, then order radflo's with PRG UCA's through PRG

·
on line
500 Posts
Depends on intended use and personal preference. Me... I'd go Shrock sliders cause they look cool, and yet are 100% functional. But, if you're a skilled wheeler, then tires would be the first $500, because your skills should help save your rocker pannel. And wheelers know traction is most important.

Patrick

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Like the crowd says, how long are you gonna want to ride around on those factory meats? But are you intending to go off road much? Cause if you are, no matter what your experience level, sliders are going to pay for themselves sooner rather than later.

But if you're all street, I'd consider a Volant cai. Sounds dope, feels fast, protects the filter completely, and adds another intake point. I got a big kick out of mine the second I put it in.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Webfur said:
go to shrockworks.com order sliders and skid plates rear bumper, if u want front bumper order it with a winch, then order radflo's with PRG UCA's through PRG
he said 500, not 5000 man! :cheers:

·
on line
874 Posts
any and all upgrades you can afford....imho, anything that will help with gas mileage besides gettung a new car or a hybrid...may i suggest air intake and exhaust...

·
on line
3,331 Posts
B REAL said:
Seriously the best $500 dollar upgrade to get better gas milage is a 1990 Honda Civic
Just here to give credit to a very funny statement. Yes I ruined it by putting it so matter-of-factly but it was very funny anyway.

·
on line
874 Posts
guys I know we didnt buy the X for its gas mileage but the performance mods do help with it....just my .02

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.. you guys are funny. But I've decided to start slow and put in an air intake. I heard Volant Cai was good anyone else know a better intake than this?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
r6ryder said:
I heard Volant Cai was good anyone else know a better intake than this?
You cannot go wrong with the Volant. Fully enclosed box with a supplemental intake scoop. It's a bit more pricey, but my friends who went with another cai are jealous when they see, hear and drive mine.

See if you can find one on e-bay motors or somewhere. New, it's 3-plus.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
I saw that AC had them for $240 right before christmas so i emailed them once the price went up cause i failed to buy one before christmas. They responded and told me to call and talk to (i think) a mike and they will reduce the price to $250. Try emailing them telling them you saw it for $240 and see if they can do anything for you.

BTW - sorry bout the smart ass comment about the Civic before, it was all in good fun

·
on line
704 Posts
Get Sliders.

Most people will tell you to put your wheel on the highest rock on the trail. That way your are more likely to clear the rest of the rocks. The problem with going over the highest rock is the rock itself. The damage to your rocker panels can be quite expensive to fix (more than a set of sliders). By getting the sliders first, you'll save yourself some peace.

Then I would go for the tires and the skids. This is a tossup, but both options are worth it. Getting an intake is a waste in my opinion. Unless you have other engine mods in line.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
vman said:
Getting an intake is a waste in my opinion. Unless you have other engine mods in line.
Now I know I was encouraging about the Volant, but I actually think vman has a point. As far as what's going to make the most actual difference to the quality of your ride in general, tires and sliders come out way ahead of a cai, assuming you want to wheel the truck. Unless you're mainly street, like the aesthetic (look and sound) of a cai, and don't need off-road tires or sliders. It all depends.

CAIs, IMO, are largely window dressing compared to, say, a winch or skids, or better brakes for that matter. But they give you a washable filter element, a bit more air for the engine to gulp, and some nice bling, and some guys will want that first. But if you're about to go off road: TIRES/SLIDERS or vice-versa.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts