Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Just joined the Family - Sort of...

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Sturmvoik 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a long time Xterra fan. I thought I missed my opportunity to own one with the prices of fuel going sky high. I didn't see my self getting in to an SUV as a daily driver. :(

But the off road gods have smiled in my direction and gave me the opportunity to get in to an X at no cost.
Of course there is a catch.. It needs a new a/c compressor, it smokes after it runs for a bit. I'm hoping that the compressor is where this smoke is coming from. 🤞

I have not seen the X in a couple years (when it was our friend's DD) and I haven't asked what the trim is or even if it's a 4x4 or 2x4. I'm going to take it as it comes and go from there.
What I do know is that it's a 2005 and that it is bone stock.

I'm excited to start my build and will definitely post my progress.
Sunday is when I go pick it up!

See y'all around
-RiftCo

#5 ·
Hey !! welcome to the club/family / crazies ) lol
good good !! any ideas on what you going to do first ?
perhaps bypass or straight to change to new rad ?

thats what I did got stock X and now I am little by little working on it.. fixing it.. upgrading it.. I know for me its going to take years before it gets where I want it to be.. lol

#6 ·
Hey !! welcome to the club/family / crazies ) lol
good good !! any ideas on what you going to do first ?
perhaps bypass or straight to change to new rad ?

thats what I did got stock X and now I am little by little working on it.. fixing it.. upgrading it.. I know for me its going to take years before it gets where I want it to be.. lol
Radiator is definitely going to be done first. I’ll inspect the current one and go from there whether to replace it or just bypass.
As far as my vision for it.. I’d like to use it as my daily driver/side job work rig that can do some light trekking.
I’m thinking leveling kit with maybe some 33’s and some armor.
I do some side work installing/servicing 12v accessories. So creating a usable storage system is in the plans as well.

Oh and I feel your pain when talking about working on upgrading.. it’s a never ending process! But I’m ready to start again.

#8 ·
Other than some basics to make sure it's good and reliable I would slowly modify/build it as you see need to. I bought my '05 in '14 and really have not done a lot to build it up and blow Jeep owners minds at what I can put it through. So far I have put 1.5" lift skid plates, rock sliders, and a rear diff guard these are all I have done for mods regarding increasing off road capability. I have also replaced the stereo, speakers added a sub in a custom box, installed a cb radio some lights and painted the hood flat black to reduce glare. I will be many more years building it up future mods are going to be a bigger lift likely 3", bigger tires, lower gearing and lockers.

#9 ·
Of course there is a catch.. It needs a new a/c compressor, it smokes after it runs for a bit. I'm hoping that the compressor is where this smoke is coming from. 🤞
Seriously, wtf, how has nobody mentioned the smoking issue. Where is the smoke coming from? If the compressor is locked up, the belt will be making a horrible screeching sound and your belt will snap within a minute or two.

If it smokes out the tail pipe at start up and then goes away, you have valve seal issues. If it smokes out the tail pipe after running for a bit, your rings are shot. Either way, this is a major issue that needs fixed and is likely the reason you're getting it for no cost. It could mean a new motor is in order. There's no way to fix failed rings, other than pulling the motor apart to replace them, unfortunately. Damn all the off road mods, you need to get to the bottom of the smoking issue.

Is it blueish smoke? If yes, it's burning oil - not good. Is it white? Still not good, that means a head gasket is failing. Check the oil - if it looks like chocolate milk, your head gasket is toast.

A failed AC compressor will not cause this, unless you're talking about smoking coming from the hood along with a terrible screetching sound of a belt slipping.

Describe the smoking...

#10 ·
Yeah a free X is always( I think) a good thing! I would def solve the smoking issue before dumping any more $$ into it though. bypass the rad, and then see whats up with the smoking.

It almost sounds like from OP's post that the smoke is coming from the compressor itself?? like from the front of the engine as opposed to the exhuast?

we need some clarification on that part for sure!

#11 ·
The fact that he said he hopes the compressor is where the smoke is coming from tells me it's not coming from under the hood. HOPEFULLY that's the case, that's the easiest fix. Swapping out a compressor is definitely better than a motor swap. Although - if it's a free Xterra, a motor swap isn't all that crazy - if you can afford it. I just want the guy to know what he's getting into.

If I came off harsh, it's on purpose, lol. I hate to see a guy invest money in lifts and tires and whatever else when the mechanicals are no good.

#12 ·
You’re exactly right! First things first, when I finally get to tinker around on it I’ll be able to come up with an action plan on getting it road ready.

I haven’t seen the X’s smoke first hand, Sunday I’ll know and report back.

#15 ·
Damn, for being an ‘05 the paint looks fantastic.

Advice- replace the rad regardless if you are doing the t-stat. And ONLY OEM T-STAT.
But first make sure the rad/expansion tank caps are correct: NO SPRING on rad cap, SPRING on expansion tank cap. Maybe go ahead and buy new ones of both of them guys first.
OEM ONLY on the caps as well.

Reactions: RiftCo
#17 ·
Got the X running! Turned out to be a radiator hose that had come loose. Connected it, added coolant and noticed the temp would shoot to HOT straight away. Took it to a shop to get a once over.. had a bad temp sensor. Replaced it and am now left with replacing the battery, and a good detailing before taking it on as a daily driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.