Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I was invited to join by member chrishaynesusa. Thanks Chris. It was a pleasure talking to you today. ;o)

Just got my 2007 Xterra on Sunday.

Vital Statistics:

4x4 OR
auto
all options except satelite radio
night armour

Looks
Drive
Driving position
Options
Power

Dislikes:

manual seats (wish they were power)
position of console compartment (to low and to far back)
fuel economy (mileage could be a bit better)

I can't wait to take it off-road. I'm gonna get through the break-in period first though. Look forward to chatting with you folks.

kev

·
on line
776 Posts
Welcome man! Remember, as far as the fuel economy goes-That is a pretty big 6 cylinder, and quite a few pony's to boot. I actually thought, for the x being as heavy as it is, that the fuel economy was quite fair! yu're gonna forget all that when you realize how much power and torque on demand that you have anyway! Start saving for mods now, for once you catch the illness, there is no cure! LOL again, Welcome

·
TNX Administrator
20,255 Posts
:pirate: Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated to Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise to share what you learn! :3some:

·
on line
34 Posts
Welcome!

The height of the center console is one of my few gripes as well, wish it was about 2" taller!

Yeah and mpg I think is pretty decent considering the power of the engine, and given the truck as the aerodynamics of a brick :)

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Nice handle...

Welcome aboard :cheers:

·
on line
564 Posts
Welcome!

Well you bought the right color for fuel mileage...I've gotten as much as 27mpg and average just over 20mpg...must be the color! Eventhough our X's have as much horsepower as an '04 mustang GT, it's not a high performance car...minimize the jackrabbit starts and keep the speed at the speed limit and you'll be suprised how reasonable your fuel economy will be.

Rob

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the best site on the web

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a bunch for all of the welcomes!

You folks are right. I can't really expect all the power and 30mpg as well. It's just that my Jeep Cherokee has a 4.0L engine in it and it probably averages 20mpg or better. I think I'm getting about 15 in the X. I suppose it will get better as time goes by.

I probably won't get as good mileage as most folks regardless of how I drive. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains. So, not much flat driving around here.

Out of curiousity, do new cars have a break-in period? When did you folks do your first oil change?

kev

·
on line
776 Posts
new or x

Ive heard different stories about break-in periods. Some say 1k, some 2k, Hell some of the old guys at the shop I used to go to say that its just a wives tale! In the end though, it never hurts to treat your ride nicely!!! I gave mine about 1,200 mi. before I really got on the gas. Although I,m not sure about the 1st oil change interval, but I would think that it would comply with the regular maintenance sched.

·
on line
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: new or x

Yep, sounds reasonable.

I think newer cars technically don't have a break-in period, but older engines definitely did.

I new a guy who rebuilt his engine and didn't give it a break-in period on the pistons and he went out racing and blew the engine up in a few days.

Expensive lesson!

kev

ridge runner x said:
Ive heard different stories about break-in periods. Some say 1k, some 2k, Hell some of the old guys at the shop I used to go to say that its just a wives tale! In the end though, it never hurts to treat your ride nicely!!! I gave mine about 1,200 mi. before I really got on the gas. Although I,m not sure about the 1st oil change interval, but I would think that it would comply with the regular maintenance sched.

·
on line
254 Posts
I do the first oil change at around 1,000 miles. The assembly process may not be as clean as you think and there is hopefully engine assembly compound on some of the parts- now mixed in your oil.

The break in period used to be for the rings to seat in the cylinder properly, the tolerances are much tighter now than they used to be so it happens a lot faster. Still a lot of moving parts that have a high initial wear. That means particulate matter is also sitting in your oil. Can't hurt to change your oil ever, IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts