Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Looking really good! 285 or 265 or 255's?

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

255, i really like them. no rubbing or anything. thanks to all of you guys on here for the reccomendations. all i need now is the SL. Has anyone heard if the PROCOMP 7089 wheels fit.

·
on line
807 Posts
You have 255/85s on no lift?
I didn't know that was possible. Judging by the pics you would rub under compression, but its good to know you can fit them stock if necessary.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
You can't get 255s to rub as hard as you try.
I love those tires. Glad you went with them, looks great.

·
on line
60 Posts
Looking good! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with 255s when my factory tires finally wear out.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Man I need a close up picture of the normal rub area please, Front tire, facing straight ahead take a picture of the back of it and post it and the measurement from the tire to the inner fender we have to melt to get the 285's to fit. THey have that 285 look, but maybe not the drawbacks. MC

·
on line
32 Posts
this is going to be a stupid question, but how come the X comes with stock 265/75/r17 and you are worried about a 255 tires rubbing? Is the OR a higher stock suspension than the other models?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The problem is, just saying 255 doesn't give you much info. All that is, is the width.

The tires they are talking about are 1/2" narrower than stock, but they are 1" taller (based on the OR model size of 265/75R16).

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Close Up Pics...

Here are the close up pics of the tires...

Here is one with the tires straight, there is about an inch and a half between the tire and the plastic:

Here is one of the area you need to heat up and bend in, its hard to picture but just go look at the plastic area outlined and you'll see what needs to go in. this is also with the wheels turned allthe way to the left and there is plenty of clearance:

This one is with the wheels turned about half way, this is at its closest point to the plastic, with a little less than an inch between:

This is one with the wheels turned all the way to the right (from the driver side) and the is plent of clearance in the front and the back, the pic is of the backside:

Here is one of the front when the wheels are stright:

This is one of the passenger side, wheels straight, about an inch and a half clearance:

Another of the passenger side inside the wheel well:

Here is one of the entire... tire:

this last one is of the tire size:

·
on line
114 Posts
No offense to anyone but why do so many people mount tires with the raised white lettering facing out? IMO, black lettering out looks soooo much better, especially when one goes out and upgrades to kick-ass tires.

·
on line
60 Posts
2006x said:
No offense to anyone but why do so many people mount tires with the raised white lettering facing out? IMO, black lettering out looks soooo much better, especially when one goes out and upgrades to kick-ass tires.
It's just personal preference. I like white letter better when an X is super clean, but when it's dirty the black sidewall looks better to me.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
awesome!

I was just told my new shoes are on super back order, but I am cheaping out with some kumho MTs. Probably just get some OR sized BFG AT's.

·
on line
666 Posts
Anyone seen what the 255/85 looks like on an 8" rim? I'd be curious if it looks as good, or if it looks worse since 8" is supposed max rim width for the 255...

·
on line
60 Posts
do you notice any difference in the handling with the taller, more narrow tires? Cornering, changing lanes, etc.

·
on line
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Handling

Switching lanes is no different. I have not been on the hoghway yet but when I am turning while going too fast it feels a little scary, other than that I havent noticed any ill affects. Their sweet tires man, I would reccomend them to anyone looking for bigger tires. Im going to go wheeling on monday so I will let you guys know how they work out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts