Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Off Road 6 speed, 55,000 miles...
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought her with about 47000 miles and had the oil changed at about 48000 (the dealer said they changed the oil while servicing before sale, but who knows). I've been meaning to change the oil sooner, but I wanted to do all the oil/fluid changes myself from now on, so it took me longer to get to it than I wanted. She's now got about 56000 miles and just changed the engine oil today with Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic. I have no idea what the last oil put in was, but I'm guessing the mechanic used the cheapest he could find in the shop.

I plan on changing the oil every 5000 miles from now on, but the last change took about 8000 miles. I'm attaching a pic of what the oil looked like on a piece of paper towel, next to a drop of the new oil (the only non-dark brown spot).

The color of the used oil is pretty bad looking. I wanted to know if it might have caused any damage and what I might look for the next time I change the oil?

On the plus side, the entire oil change went without a hitch (didn't remove skid plate) and took just under an hour (half the time was just waiting for the oil to drain out). The engine also sounds a little smoother and 'lighter'...

And I'm looking forward to changing the rest of the fluids soon...hopefully they look better than the engine oil:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Used oil looks dirty, it’ll probably be fine.

Don’t wait quite as long next time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil color isn't an accurate method of determining if the oil was still performing properly. In most cases it will turn dark pretty quickly. You would need to do a UOA on the used oil to know if that interval was too long.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
137 Posts
Used oil always looks nasty. You could pay to have it analyzed or simply change it regularly going forward

·
Well then...
1,077 Posts
You let your oil drain for an hour? Jeeeeeezuz!

Every oil change I’ve done looks dirty. If you go looking for trouble you’ll usually find it. I say you ride the wave of regular maintenance unless you find something other than “dirty”.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You let your oil drain for an hour? Jeeeeeezuz!

Every oil change I’ve done looks dirty. If you go looking for trouble you’ll usually find it. I say you ride the wave of regular maintenance unless you find something other than “dirty”.
Lol… The actual draining part took about 20-25 minutes, and was still kind of drizzling out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I’ll probably change the next one at about 3000 miles and then go with 5000 intervals

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Modern oil - even the cheap bulk stuff - likely meets the new SN standard, meaning its likely a synthetic blend even if it says conventional on the bottle. It will outlast your filter by a long shot.

Another thing I picked up from BITOG is our engines cause high shear in the oil. Not sure exactly the process but what shear does is lower the oil viscosity. So running your oil for a long time lowers its viscosity, but not necessarily its anti friction properties. I think this is also one of the reason you see a lot of comments on this board about having rattle / tick / whatever, and they change the oil and it goes away.

I personally change my oil every 3000-4000 miles - primarily because I never want to be in a situation where for whatever reason I can't or don't have time to change it I can just keep driving it for a long time without having to worry about it. I realize I am throwing money away every time, but to me it seems worth not having to fret over running long - if that ever happens. A stitch in time saves nine philosophy.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Like others have said, dirty oil doesn't necessarily mean anything. You should see the oil that comes out of my '77 F250 - that truck doesn't get driven much but I change the oil every Spring and Winter and it's always black as can be, sometimes after only a few hundred miles. Once I changed oil and about 100 miles later I noticed the drain plug was leaking and not being one to ignore a leak I drained the oil to put in a new crush washer and the oil came out looking like it had 5000 miles on it. Granted, that's on an old carb'd motor but it was rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. It's time to worry when it's glittery, or looks like chocolate milk.

If you're at all worried, send in a sample to these guys and they'll tell you everything about your motor, how it's wearing, etc...: Blackstone Laboratories

As for the interval, changing at 3k won't hurt anything but it's a waste, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the factory recommendation is every 7,500 miles when using synthetic. I regularly went 8k+ before changing oil in my previous Xterra and after 155k miles the oil analysis I had done near the end of it's life came back saying the motor shows almost zero signs of even slight wear. They said I should easily expect to hit 250k with no worries. These motors are just tough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you don't know how well the engine was cared for, you can do a few things... Send an oil sample off for testing after 3k mi. Pop a valve cover and inspect the OHV cams. Just run some high mileage oil, change every 3k for the next 10k mi then every 5k like suggested. Or run some engine cleaner through it like this stuff
or regular BG oil package https://www.amazon.com/Products-Add...cts&qid=1623377633&sprefix=bg+,aps,213&sr=8-6

·
on line
144 Posts
I use AMSOIL full synthetic and their oil filter. I change my oil once a year or 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That oil doenst look bad to me. looks pretty good actually , esp for 8k miles!

I usually take a half bottle of whatever i used last time, and after i let the used oil drain out for a few, ill throw in that half quart and let it just drain through, idk if it does anything but to me it seems like it helps get out alittle of the old used dirty oil that is still in the engine block/ pan..

Just put some fresh oil in it and change it in no more than 5k miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts