Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the Shrockworks rear bumper yesterday from Steve (8th Man) and we were going to put it on, but other things came up and we were unable to take care of it. I had planned on waiting until next Saturday to do it at a VAXC mod day. But, with me being impatient, I couldn't wait that long. It was sitting in my cargo area and I wanted it on the truck. So, I put it on the truck...with the help of my wife, of course. Taking the old one off was no problem at all. 3 19mm bolts on each side, unsnap the lights to the plate, good to go. The Shrock bumper is pretty heavy, so it was a little bit of work putting it on. But, we ended up getting it. Just have to hook the light up and put the plate up there. Here are some pictures.

SORRY, BILL (from VAXC). :sad7: :sad7: I'll still come to the mod day, though.

The new Shrock bumper. It's so pretty.

The old bumper off.

Doing a little bolt tightening.

Almost there...

Ahh...finished. Looks so sweet.

A little closer look. I love it!

I might bedline those gray side pieces, just to make it mesh together. All in all, though, I am happy with it. Just have to get the shackles, put the plate up there and get a hitch pin for it. :thumbup:

·
TNX Administrator
20,433 Posts
Damn, the stock bumper is a piece of crap - it basically looks like the only thing protecting your rear end, is your spare tire. I'm going to have replace my bumper soon, before I regret it!

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was pretty simple. There are 3 19mm bolts on either side of the stock bumper. Just take those off, unhook the light connector that goes to the light on the license plate and take the old bumper off. It helps to have a second person, to spot for you. I did mine in about an hour. Really clean install. Only 2 slight issues popped up during the process. 1) The stock bumper has a little lip that covers a small area under the lift gate. The Shrock one doesn't, so there is about 1 inch of space that shows through. If you have a dark X, it isn't much of a problem. But, having a white X, that area was dirty as hell. I cleaned it up and it looks good now. 2) The Shrock bumper sits right up against my spare, which caused me to have to push hard on the bumper to get the holes to line up. As soon as I get my roof rack, the spare is going up there, so no biggie. All-in-all, I am very happy with the whole project. You can get the bumper from the Shrockworks website and it is $384 without the black powdercoat, $449 with. I recommend getting it bare and painting it yourself. You'll save some money and it will get to you faster. The guy I bought mine from would've had to wait a couple months just to get it painted. Not worth it, if you ask me.

·
on line
704 Posts
Old Navy said:
juntao said:
how much to those bumpers go for? I may have to look at changing mines too now.
Scroll down to bottom of link to see details and price;
http://www.shrockworks.com/Xterra-Rear-Bumper-Only-2nd-Gen-pr-16168.html
$450 for a basic.... Not bad. However, my configuration comes to $940. I want it all. A lift mount, a tire carrier and an antenna mount. This way, I can carry the spare w/o banging it on the rocks and without having to break my back trying to get it and the lift from the top of the roof :)

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can afford it, I would go with the tire mount rear bumper. It has more functionality than the regular bumper, especially if you are running bigger tires than stock. My spare rubs the shrock bumper, not bad, but I had to shove it on there pretty good. I might have a hard time getting the spare off, if I need it. But, the tire mount one is nice. I also recommend saving a few bucks (as well as time) and having it shipped unpainted, then spray it yourself when you get it. All in all, I am happy with mine. I wanted the tire mount one, but 8th Man was getting rid of this one and I couldn't let it slip away from me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts