Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Just another homebrew slider post...(updated pics: finished)

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Magic Rat 
#1 ·
Hardware: $20

1.5" Round tube: $25

Wire wheel and sand paper: $5

Set of custom sliders for about 1/10 of the cost of buying: PRICELESS

Every time I do a big project like this, it sure gives me a new respect for the manufacturers/fabricators who do it for a living... it is a lot of work! It all started with a CAD drawing about 6 months ago, and I have been working on them off and on since then. Gonna try powdercoating them tomorrow... hopefully it works. Then, off to Moab for the first scratches on Friday! ~Steve

See less See more
#5 ·
B REAL said:
Looks good wanna make me a set? This poor guy cant afford schrockworks. I'll triple what it cost u to make them
Haha. Nahhh, I could never build another set for anywhere close what I have into these. Actually, seeing the actual material cost, and the amount of labor that goes into these, Jim really has a reasonable price for them. I was able to get most of the tube and plate for free through work drop and a buddy hooking me up. But if I would have had to pay for everything, I bet 3x material cost would be more than what Jim charges for a set.

#6 ·
norshor said:
Those look great with the square tubing!! Glad to finally see them. The hoops look good, is that 6" ? I thought you were going to weld them on?
It is a bit less than 6", but I don't honestly remember what it turned out to be. Maybe about 4.5" center to center? I'd have to measure. Your 6" definitely helped, though... that is where I first started at. The tube ended up sticking out past the tires at 6", so I trimmed it down some. I think the distance turned out perfect.

As for welding, I always intended to bolt them up. I'm a little uneasy on welding them up to my rig, and liked the ease of bolt on with this design.

#8 ·
your heading to MOAB on friday?? were going down on sunday!! maybe i will see you there. we're staying the whole week from sunday to friday. where you staying at? just yell if ya see me :cheers:

and nice home made sliders!

#11 ·
driver X said:
your heading to MOAB on friday?? were going down on sunday!! maybe i will see you there. we're staying the whole week from sunday to friday. where you staying at? just yell if ya see me :cheers:

We got a condo south of town by the golf course. We'll have to see if I can't find you running around. Seen the forecast yet? Sucks... it is supposed to be rainy Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (3 of the 4 days of our trip). Oh well, like my bro said... a bad day in Moab beats any day at work. Just hope it isn't raining too bad... those trails are no joke in the rain with the flash floods and waterfalls.

#12 ·
Jim needs to start putting those gussets on the horizontal bars to stop upwards travel too me thinks. Awesome design and fabrication dude.

#15 ·
RockyMtnX said:
driver X said:

We got a condo south of town by the golf course. We'll have to see if I can't find you running around. Seen the forecast yet? Sucks... it is supposed to be rainy Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (3 of the 4 days of our trip). Oh well, like my bro said... a bad day in Moab beats any day at work. Just hope it isn't raining too bad... those trails are no joke in the rain with the flash floods and waterfalls.
yea i looked at the forecast. but i dont trust them anymore. they said it was supposed to rain last week and over the weekend, nothing but clear skies here in northern utah. so ill look at the sky when we get there and see whats coming up from the south. we're staying near Goonies Bird Rock. runnin a few trails the sunday we get there if weather permits. flash floods is what im worried about at the camp site

we will probably see you driving around, ill yell cuz it gets more attention than honking haha. see ya there!!

#17 ·
Yeah, baby...

Here's what I came up with for the handle nuts. They are similar to the ones Jim supplies, but you stick the whole thing up in the hole in the frame. Once you start to tighten it, the handle will rotate around until it contacts the bottom of the frame, then tighten away. Trying to hold them in place and getting them threaded on inside the frame was by far the hardest part of the install.

Glad they came out good... I am really pleased with how the powdercoating came out. Gloss wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey, hard to complain when it's free! ~Steve

#20 ·
looks good!
yea threading the rear bottom bolt is the hardest part, but once you get its all done! is it spray painted or something different?

#23 ·
driver X-
The handle nut was spray painted right after I took the pic. The sliders are powdercoated.

norshor-
Get off the computer and finish those sliders, slacker! Just kidding. Like I said, mine have taken me about 6 months from when I first started researching and drawing. I have only worked on them off and on, though, during lunch breaks at work mostly. Lots of down time waiting on tube to be bent, etc. But, I know the feeling of putting them off for sure! This last effort was a mad rush over the past two weeks to get them finished up before Moab; made it just in time!

Magic Rat-
We actually did em at my work. We talked my boss into letting us use the oven we have here for forming acrylic to bake the powder, and my buddy had a powdercoating gun. Turned out okay considering it was free! They are a bit pricey, but we have used Advanced Powdercoating near Astrozon/Powers a few times here at work. 391-4967 They should be able to give you a quote at least. But, I know there are a couple other places here in town that may be cheaper... check the yellow pages, I think there are some in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.