Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say, I asked a couple questions a few months back about towing... needless to say it worked out. The X does a great job towing 4-5k...Thanks for the info to those who dispensed it.

·
on line
47 Posts
Love that Airstream!!!

How did you find towing on steep grades? We are looking to upgrade from our pop up now that we have the X.

·
on line
874 Posts
nice lookin rig....both of them...however you might want to consider load leveling airbags...looks a lil low in the back....trust me on that its aout $250 install that makes the X drive so much better when towing
http://www.airliftcompany.com/RVtowing.htm
they work...I know cause I had em...just got the new x and dont have anything to tow as of now so no need yet for me...when it comes Ill get them again

for the x
Description: Ride Control Rear; Ride Control Kit; Installation Time- 1 Hour Or Less;

Part No: 59562
Price: $269.00

·
on line
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as far as up hill, not too shabby. We have the coast range over here so cruising the curvy coast roads at 55, with all their uneven grades is a blast. I found myself cruising mainly in 5th, but downshifting to 4th, and once to third (I had someone lagging ahead of me).

The Airstream is a 20' Safari Edition with the SE upgrade... Stainless interior walls, inset lights, 20" flat screen with wicked stereo/DVD/MP3/Sat system. We are so happy with it, I highly recomend Airstreams, I read somewhere over 65% ever built are still one the road. I can turn around in Ten years and not lose my ass on it.

As far as the airbags for the rear, what if I do the Rancho quick lift, that should help no? plus it will be an over all "lift", gimme some reverb.

·
on line
874 Posts
this is a load leveling system, a lift will just "lift" the truck and make it sag once you put a load on the rear end, with this you can air it up anytime as long as you have an air source, 5-100 psi,to level you ride, with no trailer it willl jack the pack of the truck up 2+ inches...here is more info from their site

Light duty hauling and leveling vehicles that tow small trailers.
Ideal for hauling boats, travel trailers, and jet skis. Also great for towing motorcycle and snowmobile trailers.
Adds front end support for snow plow or winch equipped 4WD pickups.
Rear kits for mini and 1/2 Ton pickups and vans and also SUVs.
Provides needed support to rear suspension of conversion vans.

Features and Benefits of Ride Control:
Smoothest ride, loaded or unloaded.
Provides up to 2,000 lbs.-15,000 lbs of leveling capacity. (NOTE: Do not exceed the manufacturer's recommended GVWR depends on the kit).

Engineered for easy installation - 2 hours.
Most kits include an alignment tool for faster, easier, and more precise installation.
Air adjustablity from 5 to 100 p.s.i.
59600 series RC kits include an onboard compressor kit.
Quick-connect DOT air fittings.
Vehicle-specific illustrated installation manual.
Two year limited warranty.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Are you running a stock suspension now then? An AAL in the back would help a bit if so. My wife and I would love to get a travel trailer... seems like that is the motto of every vacation the past couple years... "We need an RV/Travel Trailer". Looks like they make some decent lightweight ones, though we could never afford an Airstream. We'd probably get one if we had a place to store it.

·
on line
874 Posts
not tryin to bump...on my 05 i had the airbags in the back, my expereince with them was amazing, used it to tow a uhaul loaded with all my crap from FL to NH no issues at all and then to tow my in-laws camper till they got a new truck...with the air bags it was easy to level the back end so it didnt feel squishy in the back and goign over bumps it didnt bottom out...all that a lift kit will do will lift the X not level it....may help with bottoming out but now your low beams are high beams at night if you catch my drift....an add a leaf would do the same as this, its just not adjustable for if you have a load and then you dont have a load..(unloaded looks like a 60's drag racer with the back end all jacked up...)
its just an option (the air bag) that alot of people dont know about, truck looks and acts stock when not engaged, but is there to level the truck (and the lights) when you need it. :clown:

·
on line
874 Posts
thats an expensive lil trailer....nice but expensive

·
on line
735 Posts
my advice would be timbrens combined with load leveling torsion bars to reduce tongue weight. That will keep weight from lifting off the front of the tow vehicle providing stable driving characteristics.

I towed heavy with a short bed half ton chevy and the load bars really work.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
A Weight Distribution hitch is the safest way to get the rear from sagging. Timbrens and Air bags are great and also should be there. But, a WD hitch adjusted properly has torsen type bars that toss the weight (Using our frame) onto the front tires/suspension which evens out the load and puts more weight up front which helps a ton in front end traction, steering stability and ride. He should have that hitch with that set up..... maybe he needs to crank the bars up a notch or two.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Just do timbrens dude. Alot of people run them, they are easy to install, and it will be cheaper to do, AND they will help you a whole lot!!! Airbags are a good idea but if you dont have an on board air system, you would have to install one, which isnt a fun task (im in the middle of installing OBA on my truck... with train horns). Also an AAL would help a little but it wont help the actual problem.

Just try them.... if you dont like them you wont have any trouble selling them on this site to someone.

·
on line
62 Posts
usmc xterra wrote:
A Weight Distribution hitch is the safest way to get the rear from sagging. Timbrens and Air bags are great and also should be there. But, a WD hitch adjusted properly has torsen type bars that toss the weight (Using our frame) onto the front tires/suspension which evens out the load and puts more weight up front which helps a ton in front end traction, steering stability and ride. He should have that hitch with that set up..... maybe he needs to crank the bars up a notch or two.

I second the WD hitch requirement.

I tow a 20 foot 3,800lb travel trailer with my '07 X and recently completed a 1,200 mile trip throughout Alberta, B.C., Idaho and Montana (read: all mountains).

I ran this trip with the WD hitch setup exactly as the RV dealer set it up (which looked great to the un-educated me at the time ) when I picked up the trailer.

A couple of days after the trip I spent 2-3 hours at a local self-way truck scale changing the hitch angle, height, and tension on the bars until I had approximately 1/3 of the tongue weight over the front tires of the X (initial WD setup actually removed some of the weight from the front tires).

I thought the X towed pretty good during the trip but wow! What a difference in the way it tows now. No sway at all and I can hardly "feel" the trailer behind me.

FWIW, my auto tranny equipped X has no shortage of power towing this weight, no problem at all maintaining 60 mph (or more) on the hills (which is pretty good considering most of my towing is above 3,000 ft in elevation.

Also, after recently doing tons of research on how to properly setup a WD hitch, I can see a couple of things wrong in the second picture.
One is the WD bars are angled up to meet the trailer frame when they should be as close as possible to parallel with the trailer frame.

The other thing is how much "squat" the X has in the rear end, when a WD hitch is properly set up, the tow vehicle should squat equally in the front and rear. That picture tells me there is significant weight removed from the front axle and put on the rear of the truck.

With a 530 pound tongue weight my truck squats approximately 3/8" in the rear and 1/2" in the front. I'm leaving it like that to allow for another front seat passenger and a couple hundred pounds of cargo in the truck.

Vince :clown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts