Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have read through all of the threads relating to this but just have a few questions that im hoping so one can answer. My budget is up to $1000 and looking to get about a 2 inch lift.

1. What is going to provide a better ride AAL or Shackle
2. The Bilsteins or the OME setup
3. Should I upgrade the front coils at same time

This is the OME setup I have been looking at from Nisstec
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58943&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Should I consider any other options

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
That's a good kit. You should call them and ask (since your budget is around $1000) if you could swap the AALs out for the OME Dakar leaf springs. That would put you around a grand. A little over, but it would be worth it in my opinion. No more saggy leaf springs and that is a good over all lift kit. All of that could be installed yourself which would save you money. You may have to pay a shop to compress the coil springs for you (cost $60 whenever I had it done last) and you would be good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I didnt have the tranny go two weeks ago it would be different story. But I'm this far down the rabbit hole, so might as well not skimp on few hundred now. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Sorry to hear about the transmission. Glad you got it fixed.

With the new leaf springs and coil springs, the ride would be stiffer than stock but it should be better. That and the new shocks in that kit and I personally think you'll have what you want.

I had AALs in my truck for about a year I guess. Over that year of wheeling etc, I broke both AALs in half. I'm not a big fan of either those or just shackles by themselves. The stock leaf springs will still sag eventually.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
AAL is better than a shackle, it will support the stock leaf longer. How are your stock shock/coilovers? If they aren't shot I would say get the OME Dakar leafs for the rear, UCA from Nisstec, and spacers for the front. Then save a few bucks up for new extended coilovers and shocks. The Dakars,UCA and spacers will be under $1k

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a good kit. You should call them and ask (since your budget is around $1000) if you could swap the AALs out for the OME Dakar leaf springs. That would put you around a grand. A little over, but it would be worth it in my opinion. No more saggy leaf springs and that is a good over all lift kit. All of that could be installed yourself which would save you money. You may have to pay a shop to compress the coil springs for you (cost $60 whenever I had it done last) and you would be good to go.
OME are famous/infamous for understating the lift gained from their kits. the OME kit is a 2" lift which actually improves the ride and handling of your rig... unlike just about every spacer based option I have had the displeasure of sampling. The Dakar (Malaisian) leaf packs can be hard to source as they are backorder prone. The AAL is a decent compromise. you should not need aftermarket UCAs with the OME kit

Install is pretty easy - disregard instruction threads that have you disconnect the UCA - the front coils/shocks can be fitted with just the sway bar disconnected - remove the ABS line bracket and use a bottle jack or buddy to carefully push the suspension down to max droop to gain all the room you need. If you do your own install be careful to orient the top plate on on the coil properly (it can go two ways). your camber will likely be right around 1 deg after the install which is well within spec. make sure to correct your toe in though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts