Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoo Whoo!

No, I could not get to DVNP this year, but Joshua Tree should be just as nice :) I have not put a vacation request yet, but it is very likely to happen. Here is the scoop on the rest of the events.

I want to visit JTNP and explore back roads there for 2-3 days. Then off to Vegas, then to Reno then back to San Francisco. Are there any SoCal guys who want to wheel in JTNP? I am going to do mild stuff since I am all stock. I am going to camp for about 2 nights there and then go to Vegas so my girlfriend can enjoy the civilized part of the trip :)

At this point I do not have any concrete plans yet. I just want to pick some roads, travel, learn history and take some pics of the area.

Currently the sign up sheet is as follows:

1. Vman + vwoman.
2. Joe.
3. XterraDude

We will meet on Saturday, March 22nd at 13:00 (aka 1PM for you non-military types) at the following location:

Dillion Road Chevron
45760 Dillon Rd
Coachella, CA 92236

·
on line
1,739 Posts
You might join up at SCCX to post this. We just did Joshua Tree in January. :)

·
on line
2,004 Posts
count me in as a maybe

·
on line
1,127 Posts
2. XterraDude
I'm about 75% Sure I can do this. I will have to find out hopefully sometime next week. I have been to Joshua Tree manny manny times and could defiantly show you some cool stuff. Also I recommend if you would like to see some history and some cool photo-ops sign up for the Keys ranch tour in advance for one of the mornings.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Webfur, are you going to be coming from Palo Alto? I am going to be in JT park for 2-3 days at the most. Then I am off to Vegas to enjoy cheap rates. Any recommendations on car mods? I am bone stock on Rugged Craps. I could scrape some money for AT's if needed (gonna get them anyway), but I would not do that unless absolutely necessary.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
vman said:
Webfur, are you going to be coming from Palo Alto? I am going to be in JT park for 2-3 days at the most. Then I am off to Vegas to enjoy cheap rates. Any recommendations on car mods? I am bone stock on Rugged Craps. I could scrape some money for AT's if needed (gonna get them anyway), but I would not do that unless absolutely necessary.
Nope no need to change out the tires yet. Run those things to the groundd. I have used my Rugged trails on every single Joshua Trail and they work just fine.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
vman said:
if I do come, I'll be coming from Tucson. I just mapquested it. I thought it was closer, but I don't think I can afford 700 miles of gas at this time.
so there's a 10% I'll go at this time, unless I can convince some friends to come and pitch in for gas

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Logisense said:
vman, depending on what route you take to get down there you could swing by here and i'd follow ya! you plan and taking the 247 or the 10? im sittin in cal city so either way it wouldnt be toooo bad....i just dont like all the socal traffic! :p
Hi,

I can do 14 or 58. Does not matter. Is 10 too busy? Can you recommend a place in Cal City where I can stay over night? If I leave on Friday night, I would love to get to Cal City and sleep so we can pick up on Saturday morning.

/v[/i]

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Logisense said:
PM sent vman. xterra dude, how long would it take you to get from san clemente to cal city? ive never drivin it so i dont know how to adjust for traffic...
Sorry logisense I didn't see this post until just now I was in Atlanta, GA. It would take me about three to three and a half hours to get up there. Unfortunately for me to go up there the meet up with you guys would insanely out of my way since I can take the 5 to the 133 to the 241 to the 91 to the 60 and get out to Joshua Tree in about an hour and a half. Although I would really like to meet up with you guys somewhere near riverside or Palm Springs so the we can go into Joshua Tree through Berdoo Canyon.

·
on line
853 Posts
vman, if you head into Joshua Tree from the north you should detour a short bit to Landers and check out the Integratron while you're up that way. Unfortunately they don't have any sound baths scheduled for that weekend, but it is still interesting to visit. Best to check the website and make sure it will be open the day you are thinking of.

www.integratron.com

I may be able to join you for part of the Joshua Tree trip too, but I won't know my schedule until it gets closer to the day.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well,

I am taking Friday off... I hope that the boss approves. My plan is to mix off-roading with girl related stuff since this was supposed to be a vacation for me and my girlfriend. If we leave on Friday morning , we'll probably hit some towns and see places before meeting up with Joe at Cal City. Then we can meet up with whoever wants to come next to JTNP. I believe that Joe's party is in for camping with us as well.

I plan to leave the area on Monday morning and head to Vegas. If JTNP is small, we can lurk in Mojave Reserver (whatever it is; looks big on the map).

·
on line
853 Posts
I think there is a route you can take heading north from JTNP on back roads that head up towards near Amboy, then across the Mojave Preserve (probably on Kelbaker Road) through Kelso and on up to I-15 at Baker, then on to Vegas. There is a lot to see along the way.

I've only seen its twin in Caliente, NV, but there is a really cool old train station in Kelso. I'm told it has been restored and is open for tours.

There is a large cinder cone crater in Amboy, aptly named the Amboy Crater. I'm told you can hike to the rim, maybe even inside.

Baker has the world's largest thermometer, the Mad Greek Restuarant, and the Bun Boy Motel. If you go to the Mad Greek bring your Alka-Seltzer, if you stay at the Bun Boy bring your gun.

The back roads would be a lot more scenic than just heading out I-15.

·
on line
975 Posts
I have been to the Kelso Depot, it nice. There is a cool museum inside. If you have time you should stop at the Kelso Dunes, its a little further down Kelbaker(a dirt road on the right). These dunes are known to hum when the wind is blowing. I would be up for this trip except I'm getting married 2 weeks later, I love JTNP! Try to make it there a couple times a year.

·
on line
853 Posts
X_Trippin said:
I have been to the Kelso Depot, it nice. There is a cool museum inside. If you have time you should stop at the Kelso Dunes, its a little further down Kelbaker(a dirt road on the right). These dunes are known to hum when the wind is blowing. I would be up for this trip except I'm getting married 2 weeks later, I love JTNP! Try to make it there a couple times a year.
Dominic, is that you? Haven't seen you in a while (like last year at the Bradshaw Trail run). Getting married? I thought you were married? In any event, congrats! Hope to see you on a run soon.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts