Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Red 2013 S 6-speed with 53k miles 4wd. We are very excited for the adventures to come! We plan on this being our adventure vehicle so it will be spared the grocery trips. Ill definitely be reaching out for advice as we add some miles!

Currently changing oil, tranny fluid and front/rear diff fluid plus the breather. What synthetic 5w-30 are you guys running? Hope to pick up some BFG A/T tires for winter here in Colorado soon and probably put some stock height bilstein 5100s. I don't think I would fit in the garage with more than 1" lift.

Anything else you can guys can think of?

Also, here are some issues I am trying to address. Already found most of what I need on the forum but just wanted to share:
Rattling rear latch
Rattle in dash on rough roads (I think its wire harness against vents sounds like a tick and saw a post of about this)
In 3rd - 5th in medium load (climbing a hill) small vibration which causes subtle rattle in dash (2500 - 3500 rpm).
Any ideas on this one?

The rear diff looks like the gaskets is being pushed out and its covered in fluid/dust. I hope the breather helps. Maybe worth replacing that gasket too?
Back passenger rear has a grinding sound coming from the leaf pack when you jump on the back corner. It appears the straps holding the leaf are bent outwards, so looking to uclamp those back, hopefully thats it!

Look forward to chatting with you all!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welcome! I’m slightly jealous of all these older low mileage X’s showing up lately. I thought I did well for myself with a 2015 with 78k on the clock!

The vibration is most likely your front u-joints. I’d check those out. Look for leaking seals. They may not have any play but if they are leaking grease it’s time for them to be replaced. Mine had zero play but were causing a vibration.

For the rear diff I’d pull the cover and reseal it using a Lubelocker gasket. SO much easier than RTV sealant and it’s reusable! You may also want to swap to a more robust cover while it’s off.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Welcome in...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for reaching out.

Welcome! I’m slightly jealous of all these older low mileage X’s showing up lately. I thought I did well for myself with a 2015 with 78k on the clock!
It wasn't easy to find especially in Colorado. We decided on an Xterra 6 months ago (or should I say I conviced .. ), test drove a bunch of over priced junkers given our budget, its sad how low it can go. One night I thought to look at forums about Xterras and found a for sale post 2 months old..Long story short, I ended up flying from Denver to Tennessee and driving it home to pick it up. That same car here, well doesn't exist, and would be crazy expensive if it did. The 64$ flight was 100% worth it! And the drive wasn't bad, the Xterra drives amazing on the freeway, and I am a huge fan of the 6-speed VQ40 combo. On the freeway I shifted like 5 times outside of extis/departures. I am also a hyper-miller (find it fun) and so far this can hyper-mile (when not 4 wheeling/on the freeway) anyway it performs a lot better than you would think with that combo, on back roads under 65 mph that is.

The vibration is most likely your front u-joints. I’d check those out. Look for leaking seals. They may not have any play but if they are leaking grease it’s time for them to be replaced. Mine had zero play but were causing a vibration.

For the rear diff I’d pull the cover and reseal it using a Lubelocker gasket. SO much easier than RTV sealant and it’s reusable! You may also want to swap to a more robust cover while it’s off.
I really appreciate the guidance on this. Ill go ahead and check that out this weekend and look into the diff cover upgrade.
Ill have pictures up soon once we do our first trip.

Cheers!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks everyone for reaching out.

It wasn't easy to find especially in Colorado. We decided on an Xterra 6 months ago (or should I say I conviced .. ), test drove a bunch of over priced junkers given our budget, its sad how low it can go. One night I thought to look at forums about Xterras and found a for sale post 2 months old..Long story short, I ended up flying from Denver to Tennessee and driving it home to pick it up. That same car here, well doesn't exist, and would be crazy expensive if it did. The 64$ flight was 100% worth it! And the drive wasn't bad, the Xterra drives amazing on the freeway, and I am a huge fan of the 6-speed VQ40 combo. On the freeway I shifted like 5 times outside of extis/departures. I am also a hyper-miller (find it fun) and so far this can hyper-mile (when not 4 wheeling/on the freeway) anyway it performs a lot better than you would think with that combo, on back roads under 65 mph that is.

I really appreciate the guidance on this. Ill go ahead and check that out this weekend and look into the diff cover upgrade.
Ill have pictures up soon once we do our first trip.

Cheers!
Ah! Guess I can’t be too jealous I saw that classified the day it was posted and reached out to the member but decided to look for a P4X instead. Glad it found a good home!!

·
TNX Veteran
3,993 Posts
I vote you skip BFG KO2 tires (assume that's what you were talking about). Don't just buy the big brand name. There are many all-terrains that perform much better in the winter. KO2's don't quite have the siping needed for packed snow.

Try Falken Wildpeak ATW (I've personally seen these perform just as well on a snowy trail as my dedicated snow tires): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-265-75R16-Tire/54383754

Yokohoma Geolander AT (run on my dad's F150 - fantastic snow traction): Amazon.com: Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 All- Terrain Radial Tire-265/75R16 114T: Automotive

Goodyear Duratracs are a very popular winter-rated tire: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&partnum=675QR6WDTOWL

Look for stuff that has the 3-peak mountain snowflake rating. I've not witnessed very impressive KO2 performance in the snow when I've rode with Xterras that have them.

·
Registered
2010 Xterra S
44 Posts
I agree with AlbatrossCafe on the BFGs. Here in Vermont we see 4WD vehicles clad with them in the ditches every winter. AT tires with siping is the way to go

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok interesting, my research made me believe the KO2 were the best performing winter ATs, which is the most important thing to me. On our honda we sport Blizzacks but I don't think I can justify two sets of tires for this one, so hoping to find the best middle ground with winter performance being a high priority. Thanks for the tips.

Ah! Guess I can’t be too jealous I saw that classified the day it was posted and reached out to the member but decided to look for a P4X instead.
I thought about waiting for one two, but they are even harder to find more $. Same vehicle 40k more miles was 10K more on average here. I don't do enough crazy stuff to really need a locker. Had a 1999 frontier 5-speed 4w without one and did so much crazy trails in AZ/CO without ever an issue. Luckly also, I think I can add a locker for 2k on the m226 if need, right or am I dreaming? I don't really know care that much at this point. Either way great find on the Pro-4X with 78k, that is great!

James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So yea, maybe I was being hopeful that AT tires could perform wellish compared to a true snow/ice tire but alas, that definitely is not appearing to be the case, maybe the Falken Peaks. The idea of driving in the mountains without something like the blizzacks is somewhat scary after knowing the difference and experience what the rockies and its terrain can throw you. The worst feeling in the world is sliding down a hill.

It sounds like siping may be helpful but does it really make up for the lack of softer compound... Maybe i just pick up a set of winter tires...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts