Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to hit the 200k mile milestone, and after 150k miles of modding and adventuring in this thing I figured it is time to put a build page together.

I bought my 2007 Xterra back in the summer of 2014. The X had 55k miles back then. It was 100% factory and in brand new shape basically. I needed a 4x4 that could take me through the CO mountains and surrounding states all year round for backcountry skiing and mountain biking access/camping as well as being my daily driver. The X fit the bill better than any other 4x4 out there within my price range at the time. I started doing modifications from the get-go to make it more suitable for the skiing/biking access I mentioned. However, slowly but surely all those trips of forest roads and mountain trails got me hooked on just off-roading just for the sake of it. Who would've thought driving a car over some bumpy, rocky, snowy, very uncomfortable roads/trails would be so fun!

Here's the list of mods I've done to it as it sits today. Not including too much detail, if any, on previous modifications I no longer run. However, I will update this page with any future mods as they come.

2007 Nissan Xterra
Trim: X

Mods

Front Suspension:
r180 Titan Swapped.
  • Radflo 2.5s 600lbs spring TS coilovers from Nisstec.
  • Factory Titan LCAs.
  • Moog Titan inner/outer tie rods.
  • Extended CV axles NI-8433.
  • Limit straps.
  • Titan SPC UCAs
  • Extended bump stops.
  • Nisstec extended brake lines.
  • No swaybar.

Rear Suspension:
  • OME HD Dakar leaf packs.
  • Nisstec adjustable shackles.
  • Bilstein 3-4" lift shocks.
  • Custom extended bump stops.
  • Nisstec extended brake lines.
  • No swaybar.

Armor:
  • Hefty Fabworks aluminum front bumper with Smittybuilt 10,000 X20 wireless winch (synthetic rope) as well as a 20" two-row LED lightbar (cheap amazon one).
  • Hefty Fabworks aluminum skids for radiator, engine, transmission and transfer case.
  • Factory Pro 4X gas tank skid plate
  • Nisstec rear shocks skids.
  • Custom rear bumper (no tire carrier).
  • White Knuckle rock sliders.
  • Rear diff Ballistic Advantage cover.

Drivetrain:
- All factory original with the exception of an ARB air locker in the rear diff.

Wheels and Tires:
  • Pro Comps 16".
  • 285/75-16 Duratracs.

Under the hood:
  • ARB air compressor for locker and filling up tires.
  • Oil catch can
  • Custom fuse/relay box for accessories.
  • Rogued Rocks battery terminals.
  • Custom cat-back exhaust with a two-in one-out Nissan Pathfinder muffler to get rid of the Y-pipe.

Interior:
  • CB radio.
  • 400W Power inverter.
  • Rear window molle panel.
  • Misc. details.

Camping:
  • Custom 80/20 aluminum extrusion modular roof rack. Roof rack accessories vary depending on season/type of trip or activity.
  • Ebay awning with custom quick-disconnect mounts.
  • Memory foam pad for sleeping inside (I sleep in the X 99% of the times I go camping)
Note: I do not carry any of this gear on the X 24/7. everything is made/built to be easy on easy off between trips and daily driving. I always try to keep the X as light as possible, specially for off-roading trips. Weight has always been a consideration when doing any mods on this thing.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Car

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive carrying rack Vehicle

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be updating the first post as I remember more details on some of the mods as well as whenever I do something new to the X. I will also be posting pictures of installation/fabrication of some the mods listed above as time allows me.

This will also be the page where I'll post videos and pictures of some of my adventures with the X. Planning on doing a full walk-around video during my next trip, hopefully.

Cheers!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in camping mode for a week long wheeling trip through CO and Moab. For me the simpler and lighter the better. I have a full size foam pad for when my girlfriend comes along for biking and skiing trips. She is not a fan of off-roading 🤷🏻‍♂️
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle White Light

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Satellite radio

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Trunk

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I know i’ll be doing some serious off-roading and I need all the departure angle I can get I throw the spare tire in the cargo area. Fold the bed in half and throw the tire back there. Get to camp at the end of the day, throw tire on the ground, repeat the next day. And 90% of the times I go off-roading I just leave the tire under. I do not care to have a tire carrier. Don’t want the extras weight and don’t want to have to swing it out of the way every time I need to open the hatch, which is often. They look cool though!

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet X bud. I sleep in mine just like that as well, except I have my head at the other end. So cozy

The water jug in the foot well is a great idea. I'm definitely stealing that 😉
It does the trick for sure. During this trip I also found out that the small clear plastic container I have on the other side bungeed down also fits in the footwell and is the right height to complete the bed! Great unplanned coincidence! Thanks, man. Cheers!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick release awning brackets. I like the ability of being able to take the awning on and off easily between trips. Switching sides depending on camping setup and roof rack configuration with different gear, bikes, ski rack, pelican case…

Window Plant Road surface Wood Asphalt

Product Wood Textile Automotive exterior Floor

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was a fun project. I got the shell from Hardcore Offroad and made my own mounting brackets, recovery points and supports. This was the project that got me into welding and steel fabrication.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Vehicle door
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Car
Automotive parking light Wheel Sky Automotive tail & brake light Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Light

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
installing the ARB locker in my c200k was definitely the most intimidating mod I’ve done to the X. But it turned out to be the most satisfying one to date. Took my time, about two hours of work for four days. Learned a ton and now I feel very comfortable knowing my way around the inside of the diff. I have about 20k miles on it now with no issues and It’s gotten used quite a bit in Moab and around CO.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
‘10 Off Road, 6-speed, 2” lift.
2 Posts
How do you like the front bumper? I have a few I am debating between. Plenty of time to debate while I save money and prioritize mods as I can afford them.
Nice rig! Like how you thought it out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you like the front bumper? I have a few I am debating between. Plenty of time to debate while I save money and prioritize mods as I can afford them.
Nice rig! Like how you thought it out.
I like it a lot. The main reason I got this front bumper was weight. It is super light 50 something lbs. HeftyFabworks is also about an hour drive away for me, so the no shipping was big factor as well. Quality and fit are great. No complaints. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts