Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
But I’d also read that excessive heat areas will cause the rotopax to expand and cause leaks so check periodically if you’re going to put it up there full time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ill look into it. hopefully have something more permanently mounted by the time the weather warms up again

·
Super Moderator
4,481 Posts
But I’d also read that excessive heat areas will cause the rotopax to expand and cause leaks so check periodically if you’re going to put it up there full time.
All jerry cans filled with gasoline need to be vented regularly to release pressure, not just Rotopax cans. The key is not to overfill them, which reduces the frequency of necessary venting.

I have carried Rotopax cans horizontally for the past 5 years with no leaks or any other issues. I modified my DepHep rack to incorporate Rotopax mounts and carry two 2-gal. water cans and two 2-gal. fuel cans.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

It’s the fluid expansion that’s a problem in my experience.

To prevent problems I underfill them by 5% and seal tightly when the fuel is warm, while compressing the sides in slightly. Sealing them in this state prevents them from building excessive pressure from the liquid expanding in the heat.

·
Registered
590 Posts
👆 Adjusting the can is something that would have never crossed my mind...

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
935 Posts
The best method when carrying any fuel is to get it out of the portable containers as soon as possible so you don't have big cans of fuel hanging around. So as soon as your fuel tank gets low enough transfer it into the Xterra tank then you don't have to worry about leaks or pressure in the cans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts