Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a tire carrier but didn't want to pay $900+ for one since my Xterra already had a rear bumper. I seen the Jeep carrier on JC Whitney for $239 and wondered if it could fit. I spent about 3 days measuring the pictures and about 2 weeks later finally ordered the carrier.

Changes I made was to get a 4"x4"x3/8" plate from Ebay to keep the pivot tube from rubbing on the bumper. I ordered 50mm long bolts to account for the spacer plate. Ordered 3 Nissan lug bolts/nuts. Ordered the toggle clamp on Amazon. Filled in the 4 license plate bolt holes to move the plate somewhere else. Bought a 1.25" metal plug at Home Depot for the hole as I didn't want to fill that one in yet.

In the picture, the plate to hold the tire goes where the license plate is. I filled in the holes and drilled new ones to fit the Nissan bolt pattern and haven't mounted it yet. The 4 carrier bolts mount on both sides of the frame bracket so is super strong.

Have a couple of other ideas to implement and will add finished pictures this weekend. If someone else wants to do this I will be happy to provide more pictures/details on how to do it.

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Off Road
151 Posts
I wanted a tire carrier but didn't want to pay $900+ for one since my Xterra already had a rear bumper. I seen the Jeep carrier on JC Whitney for $239 and wondered if it could fit. I spent about 3 days measuring the pictures and about 2 weeks later finally ordered the carrier.

Changes I made was to get a 4"x4"x3/8" plate from Ebay to keep the pivot tube from rubbing on the bumper. I ordered 50mm long bolts to account for the spacer plate. Ordered 3 Nissan lug bolts/nuts. Ordered the toggle clamp on Amazon. Filled in the 4 license plate bolt holes to move the plate somewhere else. Bought a 1.25" metal plug at Home Depot for the hole as I didn't want to fill that one in yet.

In the picture, the plate to hold the tire goes where the license plate is. I filled in the holes and drilled new ones to fit the Nissan bolt pattern and haven't mounted it yet. The 4 carrier bolts mount on both sides of the frame bracket so is super strong.

Have a couple of other ideas to implement and will add finished pictures this weekend. If someone else wants to do this I will be happy to provide more pictures/details on how to do it.

View attachment 144534
Additional detail about the mod (I shall call it Franken-carrier) & images of the modifications would be great!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts