Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to finish putting rear fog lights on my roof rack (extra back up lights). I grounded the lights to the top most bolt holding the strut to the body. I decided to change how I ran the wires so I unbolted the ground and moved the wires. Forgot to replace the bolt before I closed the hatch gently to check for any pinched wires. When I reopened it, the bracket was bent. Tried to straighten it and got it close to orginal position, but the bolt won't screw back in so I can't tighten everything down. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer (after I remove my lights) and tell them the bolt fell out and I tried to retighten it myself. Think they'll buy it? Don't know if it just needs a new bracket and retap the threads. Sure hope so.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really pissed me off to do something that stupid, since I had been taking my time with everything else, measuring twice and cutting once, not rushing. Then, brain phart. Instead of regrounding and tightening the bolt down, I just closed it to check the pinch area. Dumb mistake. Hope it can be fixed. Been kicking my own ass since it happened. I'm stopping now before I make anything worse. All I lacked was mounting the relay and switch, too.

And by the way, I need to tap a switched accessory to get power to the switch. The rear lighter has been suggested as well as the wire for the automatic mirror dimmer. Where is the wire for the mirror dimmer? Someone said it is on the kick panel on the driver's side. This would probably be the easiest wire for me to access since I plan on mounting the relay there, my accessory fuse box is there, and the switch will be mounted next to the clutch bypass switch, so all short runs of wire nearby.

Task saturation, huh? Leave it to the military to come up with a technical term for brain pharting. Sounds better anyway.

·
on line
641 Posts
buxwheat said:
So I was trying to finish putting rear fog lights on my roof rack (extra back up lights). I grounded the lights to the top most bolt holding the strut to the body. I decided to change how I ran the wires so I unbolted the ground and moved the wires. Forgot to replace the bolt before I closed the hatch gently to check for any pinched wires. When I reopened it, the bracket was bent. Tried to straighten it and got it close to orginal position, but the bolt won't screw back in so I can't tighten everything down. Any suggestions?
Open the hatch, and either have a friend help to take it's weight, or use a brace between the open hatch and the bumper. Loosen (but do not remove) the other bolts holding the strut. That may give you enough play to be able to maneuver the strut bracket to where you can get the bolt started to thread back into place. Then, gradually tighten all the bolts, a bit at a time, evenly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts