Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still not sure if I need them or I don't.

My 07 Off Road will be on a stock suspension with Shrockworks sliders, no towing and mild off roading (for now). Do I need to or is it advisable that I change out the bumpstops?

Thanks

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Having wheeled a bit lately and going from mud, to water, to big ass rocks at ecxc, id say get the bump stops. It will make a world of difference.

Its what im getting next. I thought about skipping them, but after hearing my truck go over the same stuff as USMC, his made no noise, mine was banging like crazy. GET EM DUDE. TIMBRENS.

·
on line
463 Posts
Nissan rear springs aren't strong enough for ANY weight in the rear.
At the slightest dip, you will bottom.
My preference is the Timbren stops.
FYI, I also added a rear spring-pak and shackle kit from PRG.
Problem solved !

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I'd say they sound like a nice addition, but I would think the money would be better spent elsewhere first, in my opinion. Now, if you don't plan on doing any suspension mods at all, then sure, maybe they would be a decent investment. I'm running the same set-up as you, sliders and stock suspension, and honestly, I can deal with the annoying bottoming out for the few times I go wheeling each year, until I can get a lift kit.

But, if you have a couple hundred bucks burning a whole in your pocket, go for it. From the sounds of it, they are certainly an improvement over stock.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i would agree bump stops are a good addition, but a lift may be a better first option. if you are getting bottoming out in the rear (not all of us were with stock suspension) a lift will solve that issue, plus give you that extra lift increasing the travel distance before bottoming would occur. If it's the front you are worried about, that could be a reason to go with bumps first, but if you go with a coilover lift in the front you will stiffen the suspension and increase travel, so they may not be immediately necessary. if you do a spacer lift it would be advisable since you're decreasing travel (mcampana gives a good example of why they would be a good upgrade with a spacer lift).

·
on line
735 Posts
you'll want them the first time you bang and bottomout on the rear on a dirt road or something. It's not really a bumpstop you need per se, but a shorter or longer one to alter the timing of when the leaf spring mid snubber pad hit vs. the main axle bumperstop. They seem to slam at the same time and changing the length of the main bumpstop keeps the spring from locking solid when they both hit at the same time. plus timbrens are pretty squishy and do exert their own spring force. Mine are quite a bit shorter than the out of the box ones..search for pics, different ppl have different solutions.

·
on line
564 Posts
07BlackOR said:
I'm still not sure if I need them or I don't.

My 07 Off Road will be on a stock suspension with Shrockworks sliders, no towing and mild off roading (for now). Do I need to or is it advisable that I change out the bumpstops?

Thanks
Dude...why do you think you need to change out the bump stops? Are you experiencing any bottoming out under less than severe conditions? I've got an '07 OR with stock suspension and sliders and the only time I bottom out is off roading with a ton of gear. Now, lately I have shortened my stock bump stops to minimize the bottoming while fully loaded, but it wasn't completely necessary.

Rob

·
on line
13,467 Posts
"Dude...why do you think you need to change out the bump stops? Are you experiencing any bottoming out under less than severe conditions? I've got an '07 OR with stock suspension and sliders and the only time I bottom out is off roading with a ton of gear. Now, lately I have shortened my stock bump stops to minimize the bottoming while fully loaded, but it wasn't completely necessary. "

I agree, thats when i hit bottom as well. Severe offroading, or offroading packed full of stuff.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
If you have bottomed out then get em. If you havent then dont. It all depends on how much you wheel. But let me tell you, once you feel that massive shock from your truck bottoming out... you will be worried. I was. I felt like if I kept making my truck bottom out like that then I would eventually damage something. And yeah the things are a little pricey for being rubber pads, but they are totally worth it.

If you think you need them only because other people have them, then that is another bad reason to buy them. If you think you need them because you think you need them, then you probably do.

did that make sense?? :tard:

·
on line
28 Posts
Obviously, I must do a lot of serious off-roading. I have an 07 SE that will bottom out on the dirt roads I have to drive on. I live about 2 miles from the nearest hardball and with the factory stops, I would bottom out regullarly. Now, I realize that I don't have the improved performance shocks of the OR, but I would regularly exercise the bump stops of my SE. Dirt roads in Oklahoma tend to wash out everytime we have a little rain, which this year has been a frequent event. Now, I'm not doing exactly MOAB like off roading, but it is sure past the normal pothole found in the city.

I recently installed the TIMBRENs in the rear only. I think it makes a world of difference. Even if I later decide to install a lift kit, the bump stops are a great addition.

I think it is a quick and easy install that can be done by anyone. Go with the Timbrens.

·
on line
628 Posts
mcampana said:
"Dude...why do you think you need to change out the bump stops? Are you experiencing any bottoming out under less than severe conditions? I've got an '07 OR with stock suspension and sliders and the only time I bottom out is off roading with a ton of gear. Now, lately I have shortened my stock bump stops to minimize the bottoming while fully loaded, but it wasn't completely necessary. "

I agree, thats when i hit bottom as well. Severe offroading, or offroading packed full of stuff.
I am really thinking I need to consider these as my next mod I seem to feel the bottom on the slightest dip in the road.

·
on line
166 Posts
I am interested to know how a longer bump stop will make daily driving better, unless there is something I'm not seeing, this would cause a much harsher ride because when a truck lands on it's bump stops, which it would do more frequently with longer stops, it's very harsh and very unpredictable, most actual automotive enthusiasts will even say they are dangerous....

Once again, this is coming from an AutoX/Road Coarse background...

·
on line
238 Posts
Ah, Timbrens must be explained.

They are not a conventional hard rubber bump stop, but a softer more pliable rubber. They dissapate (sp?) the energy of a hard bottom out as the axle travels to the final upward travel point. It's basically a bottoming out damper. Kinda like an end of stroke compression dampening. The axle still stops its upward travel in a similar position as the original hard bump stop though (might lose .125-.25" up travel as somebody pointed out in another post).

·
on line
166 Posts
Turtle said:
Ah, Timbrens must be explained.

They are not a conventional hard rubber bump stop, but a softer more pliable rubber. They dissapate (sp?) the energy of a hard bottom out as the axle travels to the final upward travel point. It's basically a bottoming out damper. Kinda like an end of stroke compression dampening. The axle still stops its upward travel in a similar position as the original hard bump stop though (might lose .125-.25" up travel as somebody pointed out in another post).
Hence the price tag...

So if this is the case it is possible that they could give a better ride as well as increase handling as the car will have support...

Interesting, still can't tell if this is justifiable on a stock 07 OR x...

·
on line
166 Posts
DBAX said:
Welcome aboard Wiggum!

('90 NA corner cutter :thumbright: )
Thanks man.... it's a vast difference driving this tank :)

Good thing is, it doesn't matter how big the car is, suspension geometry still works the same :)..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts