Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I've got a new one for ya'll. I did a little trail riding today, nothing out of the ordinary.. When I was done with that I went home. When I got out of the truck and tried to lock the car, the key fob wasn't working. After a few tries I shrugged it off and just thought the key battery needed replacement. Fast forward a few hours to when I need to go somewhere I get in the truck and start it and my trip computer has reset, my radio stations have reset on my aftermarket head unit, and when i turn my lights on there is a huge voltage drop in the battery. I turn the lights on and off a few times and the last time that I do it, the car completely dies... I try the car again and it turns on and the VDC on and Slip lights are on and won't go off. So i drive around the block and when I get back and turn the car off, the map lights don't come on and my lights won't come on and everything is dead even when i turn the key. I wait a few seconds and try again and it works. Then when I turn the key off everything goes dead again. I got my scanner and got some codes out of it but don't know what they mean. Theres 3 ABS codes and one Transmission code. C1109-Battery Voltage Abnormal[/U][/U]. C1143- Steering Angle Sensor Circuit, i think i got two of these. And the transmission code P1731- Automatic Transmission First Braking. I would love some help with this... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Also check the battery cable connection to the battery. Take them off and clean them. I had hidden corrosion between the terminals and the posts on an old truck that was making things spotty.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I still don't understand where the codes came from
The ECU is designed to work at a certain voltage, if your alternator isn't putting out enough power, or your battery is dying, it will reek havoc with your electrical system. Just take it to any parts store and have them check the battery and charging system. You should get 13-14 volts, higher then that is a bad voltage regulator, lower is a probably a bad alternator or loose belt.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The ECU is designed to work at a certain voltage, if your alternator isn't putting out enough power, or your battery is dying, it will reek havoc with your electrical system. Just take it to any parts store and have them check the battery and charging system. You should get 13-14 volts, higher then that is a bad voltage regulator, lower is a probably a bad alternator or loose belt.
You obviously have higher talent where you live. Here they plug their machine in, and two minutes later it prints out a slip saying replace the battery no matter what is wrong or how recently you bought a battery from them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turns out the positive battery terminal is very loose around the post and won't tighten anymore. I'm either gonna get a lead spacer or replace the whole thing

·
Registered
489 Posts
Turns out the positive battery terminal is very loose around the post and won't tighten anymore. I'm either gonna get a lead spacer or replace the whole thing
They have a replacement terminal end at any auto part store. Should set you back less then 5 bucks and and take 10 min.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts