Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ultimate question, But is it too much...?

I don't own an Xterra yet but I think I have my mind set on a 2nd Gen. They seem to have more interior room. I say that, even though I am test driving a Gen-1 2003 SE with crazy low miles, today and tomorrow.

I test drove this "off road" (what I am hunting) last week. It had made my very happy until I looked under it. I am not familiar with Nissans so this rust scared me. Seemed like too much for a 2007. It came from outside Rochester, NY and I live outside Philadelphia. I ran, would any of you?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Really doesn't look too bad. Bit of surface rust is all. A 2nd gen, for day to day is better than a 1st gen. More room, power, etc.

Here's a member who treated his 2007 for reference: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72353

Also for what its worth, my 2010 looks marginally better underneath.

Just keep in mind the biggest thing to worry about on early Xterra's is SMOD:

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62655
Thanks for the cred!!

As the other guys stated, that mostly looks like surface rust...and the part that looks the worst is the exhaust. The rest of it, you can just wire brush and paint over and it should protect it. Check my thread out if you end up going that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I half expected those answers. It was exactly what the car salesman said as well. I find it an odd answer, considering much older cars have no where near as much wear. Is this a thing for Nissans or just vehicles of the "salt belt?"

Still feel it's worth it at $13,700 with 61,000. They don't seem to be willing to move much lower then that.

Seems scary having never bought a vehicle with rust, rust like that, or rust that needs work.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
This is where I grew up working on cars. It only took buying 2 cars in western NY for me to never do it again. I wrench and maintain all of my vehicles myself as much as possible. From having a 88 Ford Ranger that absolutely sucked at life to work on because the years of salt use in western NY on to the next was a 96 civic that was only 4 years old at the time and bolts were seized, I used a torch and PB on everything and at least half of the time I was breaking bolts and having a ton of extra work added to get them out, cut them out, torch them out and re-weld in a brackets; whatever the case may be.

Every single vehicle I have purchased since that 96 civic has been from a place where they DO NOT use salt for winter but use magnum chloride, sand/gravel, whatever they use it was not salt! Needless to say, my life has been much better and my installs/maintenance has been almost problem free.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm just trying to save you gobs and gobs of time and effort when you work on your vehicle. No I wouldn't be worried about frame integrity or anything serious like that, I mean they ain't no TACO, but the rust will definitely prohibit text book installs and maintenance.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got my 2005 X from Long Island NY but all it had was highway miles and rebuilt transition, very clean under....Personally I would look for my car more south,Washington DC and more south. (Totally agree with NYX's reply.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think considering those last two posts, I'll remain a pass on it. If it is 1's and 0's i'm good with it but this would be my first adventure in turning wrenches and I am not looking for any surprises or hard lessons. I really not looking to mod one much anyway.

Seriously, thanks to all that replied. My friend said there was a good community here. Man you guys were fast.

I have a few months till a lease runs out, I guess it would be best to sit back and wait. Hopefully soon I'll post with some happy purchase news.

Thanks again Gents.

-Brock

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Have you tried a broker? I know they take their cut on the deal but they also have access to a ton of information that you don't and can also arrange to have cars shipped up to you at a reasonable rate. That is, if you can find an honest one;)

Either way they can find you a PA, OH, etc, Xterra for a decent price and they'll do all the work and bring you there findings.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have one off the top of my head. Let me throw out a mass text to some of my car buddies back east and I'll see if they currently use anyone.

But you can also post this question in your region (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32) as some of the other Xterra guys may currently use or have used a respectable broker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts