Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, my X is an 05 2wd AT.

After leaving it parked for a few hours the other day (it drove fine just beforehand), I pulled out, shifted into drive and when I went to accelerate, it felt/sounded like the truck had shifted again. When accelerating from a stop, I can put my foot all the way to the floor and it'll only rev to about 2.5k RPM max, until i get to about 25-30MPH at which point i can let off the gas and get back on it and everything is back to normal. But once i come to a stop the accelerating issue happens again. While this is going on, it sounds like Im flooring my car and the throttle is wide open, but I'm getting no power.

I am due to change out my tranny fluid, so that will be my first step, although I don't think that would be the issue.

I am also throwing a code, which I was told indicated that both of my front cats and/or o2 sensors are bad. Could this cause this sort of issue?
And if this is the cause, I was considering just eliminating the cats with the DT long tubes and new o2 sensors. Would this work?

What are some other things that I should look for? I will go get the exact codes pulled tomorrow and update.

Id really like to get this sorted out so I can stop looking like an A-hole revving my truck through parking lots and from every light. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I recently had the same problem. I would try to accelerate from a dead stop, only to go super slow until 35-40 mph. It turns out the computer put the transmission into a "safe mode" where I only had fourth gear. I thought I had the smod problem, I freaked out. Took it to the trans shop where they discovered that the trans valve body needed to be replaced, no smod. I ended up replacing the radiator also (120,000k miles) to be safe. About $2,000 later everything works perfectly, I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to replace the trans.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently had the same problem. I would try to accelerate from a dead stop, only to go super slow until 35-40 mph. It turns out the computer put the transmission into a "safe mode" where I only had fourth gear. I thought I had the smod problem, I freaked out. Took it to the trans shop where they discovered that the trans valve body needed to be replaced, no smod. I ended up replacing the radiator also (120,000k miles) to be safe. About $2,000 later everything works perfectly, I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to replace the trans.
Damn. That still sucks man. I hope it doesnt wind up being that bad. Was it throwing a code that tipped you off to that? If so please let me know so I can see if its one that mine is throwing.
Im hoping its not the Milkshake either, but I dont think so since it seems to shift pretty smoothly. But ill check that out tomorrow

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to autozone today, codes its throwing are:

p1754:Input clutch solenoid valve function

p0430: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold- Bank 2

Also pulled the tranny dipstick, and fluid was pretty nasty looking. It was a reddish brown (more brown than red though) color with some small particles in it. Going to have that changed out probably tomorrow.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
Id change it out with that color, mine came out like that at 30k since then its been a good solid red color.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Id change it out with that color, mine came out like that at 30k since then its been a good solid red color.
Yeah, probably going to drop it to have it done tomorrow. Would do it myself but I just don't have the time this week and I want it done immediately.

In better news, the truck drove like normal today. I still however want to get to the bottom of whats going on in there so it doesn't reoccur.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey MTBX, my codes were:1757(AT, front brake solenoid, circut) and 1759 (AT, front brake solenoid, function).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, turns out it was the radiator/trnny failure, trans shop said the brown color of my tranny fluid was due to rust from the water getting in, and it fried just about all the electronics in the tranny.

Not too excited to shell out about 4000$ to rebuild tranny and replace radiator.

I know a bunch of you guys have had this happen to you as well, so if you could please shed some insight on anything I should make sure they do or do not do it would be appreciated.

I was considering having the trans shop just go ahead and install a seperate transmission cooler and bypass the rad. Good idea?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yes very good idea. Search here for smod by pass. it involves swapping to hoses and takes 5 minutes. That take care of the by pass part. Having them install a separate cooler is ideal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes very good idea. Search here for smod by pass. it involves swapping to hoses and takes 5 minutes. That take care of the by pass part. Having them install a separate cooler is ideal.
Just got off the phone with the transmission shop, they went ahead and got a quote for a new rad installed and it was $614, and for those $ I would just get the griffin and install it myself.

So rather than replacing the rad, I will just flush it several times to make sure that there is absolutely no trans fluid remaining in it or any of the lines, and the trans shop is installing the largest possible external cooler.

Hopefully all will be done by the end of this week. Im really missing seeing the X in the driveway :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts