Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened once last night, now multiple times today. While driving on the highway it feels like the wheels will grip or stick for a second, then continue to drive normal, they don't lock up or anything. Like you hit small pot hole in the road or something. Anyone have any ideas? My wife is driving it today and she is taking it in for an oil change and I think the transfer case is due for a changing as well.

Should also note that I have going in and out of 4 wheel a lot lately with the weather here. And it takes a little time for it to go back in 2 wheel.

·
on line
750 Posts
I notice something like that when going around curves..like say a freeway cloverleaf. The VDC SLIP light will come on and I can hear the system activate which does not seem right since there is no real slippage going on.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
What Bio Terra describes is normal. There is enough traction loss under one tire because of body roll/weight transfer on some ramps, even though there's no discernible skid. That's just how the system works.

But the "sticking" feeling Karpediem describes sounds different, like the binding you get in 4WD as you steer hard or drive on high traction surfaces (which is of course something to be avoided). Karpe, any chance you left it in 4? Could it be stuck in 4?

Describe the sticking feeling more if possible. Might be nothing, but it could be your driveline under stress.

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the VDC, because it happens when you go straight and not slipping or anything. When switching from 4 to 2, the wheels blink for about 30 seconds, then it makes it into 2. The sound is like you hit a bump, but the feeling is like if you were sliding on ice and hit a dry spot, then back on ice. It's not like the wheel grabs or the tires lock up.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
So the feeling is during switching? Are you switching back to 2 while still on a low traction surface, like dirt? If not, you're still in 4 for awhile and you're lurching into 2 because you're feeling the driveline release some bind. Make sure you switch to 2 completely before you hit the pavement.

·
on line
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The feeling isn't during switching, I was just saying it takes a lot longer for it to switch to 2 than it used to.....incase that has something to do with it.

EDIT::::: Potential reason could have been found. I changed the bulb on the drivers side this weekend. I have a K&N Intake, so I had to push against the heat shield to take the bulb out. Apparently this loosened the filter and it fell off at some point.. :banghead: ..guessing last night. Wife is currently driving home now......with filter properly secured. :geek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts