Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy the little silver 'Shift Lock' plastic cover that pops right off to allow you to bypass the safety **** lock mechanism. Let me know if you have one you'd sell. This is for my '05 Xterra, but they all should be the same. Thanks!

·
Some random dude
361 Posts
Wonder how often that needs replacing, and whether we could just do a model of one to 3d print.

Unfortunately, I cannot do that as my vehicle didn't come equipped with the shift lock system...

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Wonder how often that needs replacing, and whether we could just do a model of one to 3d print.

Unfortunately, I cannot do that as my vehicle didn't come equipped with the shift lock system...
Challenge accepted!

Share link

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
This little piece would have taken me 20 iterations and prototype prints to get right and you probably nailed it with the first draft.
You have a printer to test it on? I expect you'll need a couple tries playing with print settings to get it right. Not having access in maybe a year I'm already forgetting stuff like minimum feature size. Does 0.4mm sound right? Those little friction ridges are 0.15mm so it may be a bear to print well.

And I don't ever want to grow up, at least not until I can't remember my name. ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
You have a printer to test it on? I expect you'll need a couple tries playing with print settings to get it right. Not having access in maybe a year I'm already forgetting stuff like minimum feature size. Does 0.4mm sound right? Those little friction ridges are 0.15mm so it may be a bear to print well.

And I don't ever want to grow up, at least not until I can't remember my name. ;)
I think I'll have some time to give it a shot later this evening, but I do worry about the small size and detail. The way I'm currently set up I can run down to 0.12mm layers, but you're spot on regarding feature size being limited to 0.4mm. I can knock that down to 0.2mm if I swap nozzles, but I've been running larger, less detailed prints as of late and a bigger nozzle saves on time.

There are a few other guys on here who own or have access to much more sophisticated printers than the mutant basketcase build I keep in the garage. Maybe someone even has an SLA. That wouldn't have any trouble with details this size.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
First draft actually came out pretty close, but you're correct about the 0.15mm ridges. I just can't replicate them with this setup. The other dimensions are practically spot-on, according to the cheap caliper on my bench. What are your thoughts on just increasing the outer diameter of the 'plug' portion by 0.15mm? This would eliminate the ridges and it would likely still be fairly easy to remove since it already pops out without much effort.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@caain I really dig the “pattern” on top. Can you explain it? Is it that way on purpose, or due to the print?
I know ZERO about 3D printing.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
What are your thoughts on just increasing the outer diameter of the 'plug' portion by 0.15mm? This would eliminate the ridges and it would likely still be fairly easy to remove since it already pops out without much effort.
Very nice!

No problem. Here's 2 more to test if you don't mind. The first has the friction ridges turned off and the sleeve pushed out 0.15mm. The second file starts from there and cuts out relief on the flats so only the corners provide the friction, and I turned off the cap radius so that cool squiggly pattern should go all the way to the edge. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
@caain I really dig the “pattern” on top. Can you explain it? Is it that way on purpose, or due to the print?
I know ZERO about 3D printing.
That pattern is called a Hilbert curve. For this print, it's just an aesthetic choice. Depending on the software you use to prep the 3D model for printing ('slicers'), you can choose different patterns for top and bottom layers as well as for internal layers. They'll all lay down the same amount of material per layer, but how they go about doing it can result in different patterns. I like the looks of the Hilbert curve pattern, so it's the default setting for most things I print. There is some more information here.

Very nice!

No problem. Here's 2 more to test if you don't mind. The first has the friction ridges turned off and the sleeve pushed out 0.15mm. The second file starts from there and cuts out relief on the flats so only the corners provide the friction, and I turned off the cap radius so that cool squiggly pattern should go all the way to the edge. :)
Sounds great. Thank you for making these! I'll give them a shot later tonight and keep you posted. I won't be able to push the Hilbert curve pattern all the way to the edges since I need to print some perimeter walls, but we'll see how this next set turns out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is this thing?

I am looking to buy the little silver 'Shift Lock' plastic cover that pops right off to allow you to bypass the safety **** lock mechanism. Let me know if you have one you'd sell. This is for my '05 Xterra, but they all should be the same. Thanks!
For those of us not in the know, what does the shift lock even do, and why is there a cover on it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
For those of us not in the know, what does the shift lock even do, and why is there a cover on it?
Releasing it allows the X to be towed/moved/gear changed out of PARK to NEUTRAL (or to any other gear, should you desire) if there is no power or gremlins are at work.
It is depressed by a key, screwdriver, bullet, small rigid item of pointy slimness.

The cover covers it. >:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, I think we have a winner. The version you posted that was increased all around by 0.15mm fit well, but I did need to scale it up by 2%. I don't think this means your model is off by 2%, but probably just means there was an issue on my end. I'm about at the end of this roll of filament, so it isn't exactly fresh.

If Adam (the OP) still needs one of these, I can run one off and drop it in the mail next week.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Releasing it allows the X to be towed/moved/gear changed out of PARK to NEUTRAL (or to any other gear, should you desire) if there is no power or gremlins are at work.
It is depressed by a key, screwdriver, bullet, small rigid item of pointy slimness.

The cover covers it. >:)
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Challenge accepted!

Share link
You so f***ing nailed this. Your very first version worked best for me. Your third version fit but was pretty tight. V2 a no go for me (too tight).

Printed all at .2mm layer height with a .4mm nozzle at 205/60 using PLA. Primed and painted with..... below

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts