Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Is your Xterra Kinda Loud?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  takeyourmarx 
#1 ·
Like when people ride in it do they comment on how loud it is? Or if the muffler is ok?

I bought and 05' used about 6 years ago, and it's always sounded loud in the cabin, like a truck, especially when reved up.
Soudns cool for sure, but definitely not quiet by most modern day card standards. And defininetly has more or a droning sound at highway speeds.
I just figured that's the way the X's are. But I also don't know if that's stock, or the previous owner put on a new muffler.

Or has anyone done any mods to help sounds proof some more?

Thoughts? Thanks!

#5 ·
Your tire wear could contribute to cabin noise as well I believe. My Xterra is noticably loud in the cabin, my tires are nearing the end of their operational life. I had a Frontier and when I got new tires, it was a bit quieter.

Reactions: takeyourmarx
#6 ·
I just soundproofed my entire rig. Tore it completely apart including rear quarters and rear hatch, all 4 doors, kickpanels, firewall etc. What a complete transformation! Should’ve done it when I bought it. It is night and day more enjoyable and my aftermarket stereo sounds SO much better. I can play it at low volumes now and can hear it all very clearly. A LOT of work, but very well worth it.
Also, bought new Falken tires which helped immensely.

#7 ·
Ahh cool. thanks. Might add some of that material. Probably too lazy to do the whole thing, but even just the rear area might help.
I do like the idea of cleaning up the stereo sound too.

Yeah I run a heavy tread on my Cooper ST Maxx and there is a little road noise, but they're relatively fresh and this is def coming from the muffler area.
From what I've been reading it may be after market and shouldn't be quite so loud if it were stock/ome.
Will need to pop under there again and have another look. Everything always looks fine, but not sure what stock looks like to compare.

#9 ·
I agree, for a stock vehicle, the exhaust is a little loud, but i think it sounds good. its a nice gutsy sound. I kinda thought thats just due to how many miles it has on it.

Im thinking about removing the stock muffler and putting a aftmkt one on to make it louder :)

#10 ·
@mtnbound Hah, that's one way to go for sure! I also like the sounds of it and it's even set of other car alarms off on the street. And sounds great in a parking garage (when i can fit):)
But on long road trips at 60mph+ or city jaunts, I find it get's a bit annoying/droney.

#18 ·
Really. And that's a very rare occasion.
And not so much wondering why it's loud. Was asking people who are stock if theirs is also kind of loud.
Looking for a reference point. But thanks for the help.

But from what I'm reading it's just a loud-ish truck inside. It's low rpms it pretty fine. Once it pushes past 2k it starts to growl.

Thanks for the input ya'll!

#15 ·
I would personally advise against putting an aftermarket muffler on the X... I did it and within a few months it became way too annoying. The V6 doesn't get the same deep resonance as a V8 like Vizards swap so it sounds like a really angry trombone especially on the highway. I used FatMat on the entire floor front to back of my '06 as well as majority of the doors and the overall change in noise level is about 3-5 decibels. Definitely helps with the stereo sound at low speeds but not enough to make a noticeable difference on the highway.
After 3 years I'm getting ready to swap my exhaust to a quieter muffler along with a new Y pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.