Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (and gals),

This is my first truck, but I don't think I should have this coming out from the #1, output for the rear drive shaft from the transfer case, and #2 and from the rear diff. I may be wrong though, can you give me your opinion? I know every vehicle has it's quirks, but I don't think that I should feel like I'm driving an old Harley or Indian, where if it ain't leakin, it ain't workin.

From the output shaft pick (I know it's a little blurry) if you look at the bottom, you can see where oil is pooling. I put a piece of cardboard under it, and I counted 4 drops in 8 hours. From the rear diff, I counted 2 drops in 8 hours.

In the third image, you can see a sheen of oil on the gas tank. It isn't much, but again, I just bought the damn thing. I looked underneath for leaking oil when I got it, but they just ran it through a carwash and everything was wet and clean.

Problem is, the dealer is 150 miles away (I know, that's the risk I took when buying so far away). So if it is a common thing, or easy and cheap to fix, I won't bring it back to the dealer.

Thanks!

-Brian

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Output shaft seal - easy enough to replace, do a search on the forum here a few of us have done it. You basically remove the drive shaft, replace the seal, bolt it back up. Pretty straight forward, but the hard part is making sure you get the seal put in correctly.

Definitely call the dealer and see what they'll do about it. 150 miles away, but they can maybe mail you the parts and pay for a local mechanic to do it? Or some other kind of 'make good'?

·
on line
2,069 Posts
you are a 2010, if you are less than 60k, this will probably be covered under the factory warranty. You wont need to bring it back to the same dealer, but any nissan dealer can offer insight. I would find a closer dealer and have them check it out. The output shaft seal is really no big deal, but if the pinion seal is leaking on the rear diff, that requires some thought as there is a crush ring that could get messed up and would burn it out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two, it actually has 62k on it. The dealer was less than honest when it came to their listing, they said "Certified Pre-Owned" apparently that was before they either a salesman took it home and put it over 60k (cutoff for CPO) or test drives. :angry5:

I got it for a great price, still. So I guess I can't be that mad.

I'll fix the output seal, I'll just see if they will send me the part and I'll do it myself. But about the rear diff, I'll be careful with that. I will do a search and see what I find.

Thanks again,

-Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts