Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been hearing an audible knocking at 1,000-1,250 RPM on my 2009 Xterra since last summer. The knocking/ticking only happens at 1,000-1,250 RPM under-load between 30-40 MPH on flat ground or at about 15-20 MPH uphill. I have removed most of the heat shields. The truck has about 77,000mi on it, fresh oil change, 4WD or 2WD, all accessories turned off. Noise goes away below or above this RPM range, does not get louder upon acceleration/deceleration, sounds normal at idle and start up.

Took a couple videos at different speeds, wondering what do you guys think it sounds like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbCoB5gOIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnfv0Ne3LWQ

Does this sound like - TSB NTB05-015B, "Rattle noise from VIAS power valve actuator / intake manifold collector" or timing chain tensioner or noisy lifters? :scratch:

Thanks in advance.

·
on line
267 Posts
Listening to vid 2/3 - is the noise at the 4 to 10 second mark? I had the timing chain tensioner problem and it doesn't sound like that to me. The timing chain issue really sounds like a turbo spooling up. Getting louder and higher pitched with increase of RPM's. I haven't heard the rattling valve noise. But based on descriptions, it very well could be that.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Doesn't sound like an rod knock to me, the one car I had that developed a knock actually sounded better while driving and got much louder at idle and there was no mistaking the sound as it sounded just like a diesel truck even though it was a four cylinder.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just did the timing chain...its not that. Doesnt sound like what I think VAIS sounds like (did that "repair" a while back). Sounds sort of like lifters but its odd that it wouldn't be constant. It also sort of sounds like my buddys charger when his header flange was going. It only could be heard at certain rpms and sounded like a fast paced clunking for some reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did you ever figure this out? We have a 2009 xterra that is doing the same thing.
I'm skeptical whether my rattle is VAIS related as all the videos show that it happens under acceleration at 2k.

Mine makes the rattle only when i am barely touching the gas, say crusing at 30mph, rpm's at 2k, just a pinch of throttle.

Leaning towards the timing chain tensioner, sad to say I might have to drop $1400 in all new chains/gears for the primary and secondary chain tensioner.....

EDIT: Thanks for PhullD for reminding me about the VAIS.... for 40$ off amazon, im going to give the VAIS a gluing before i drop $1400 on the timing chain

·
NewX’er 4life
2,535 Posts
I'm skeptical whether my rattle is VAIS related as all the videos show that it happens under acceleration at 2k.

Mine makes the rattle only when i am barely touching the gas, say crusing at 30mph, rpm's at 2k, just a pinch of throttle.

Leaning towards the timing chain tensioner, sad to say im going to drop $1400 all new chains/gears primary and secondary... it better solve this problem.
Without any information on your vehicle posted there is no way to tell you, but it is 80% likely it is VIAS if the sound is the same and rpm specific, so you’d be wasting your money if you drop $1400 for something else. Timing chains give a whine when they start to go. Also, FYI older Xterras usually need a timing chain job at some point or another if they were never done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Without any information on your vehicle posted there is no way to tell you, but it is 80% likely it is VIAS if the sound is the same and rpm specific, so you’d be wasting your money if you drop $1400 for something else. Timing chains give a whine when they start to go. Also, FYI older Xterras usually need a timing chain job at some point or another if they were never done.
2009 Off-road 4x4, Automatic, 125k, ~80% hwy miles, came with radiator #21460-EA215 (so I assume its the earlier 2009, built between Feb-August).

Thanks for the reply PhullD- definitely not whining yet. Sounds just like a motorcycle chain that is not properly slacked, but I understand the VIAS sounds similar to that.

Reference for others on radiators: Mr. Bills post #1019 forum (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/25955-how-bypass-radiator-transmission-cooler-*cpl*-102.html)

·
NewX’er 4life
2,535 Posts
2009 Off-road 4x4, Automatic, 125k, ~80% hwy miles, came with radiator #21460-EA215 (so I assume its the earlier 2009, built between Feb-August).

Thanks for the reply PhullD- definitely not whining yet. Sounds just like a motorcycle chain that is not properly slacked, but I understand the VIAS sounds similar to that.

Reference for others on radiators: Mr. Bills post #1019 forum (http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/25955-how-bypass-radiator-transmission-cooler-*cpl*-102.html)
I meant in terms of timing chain history (has it been done on your vehicle yet?). Try the cheap fix first, if it isn't the VIAS you'll know pretty quick. As I mentioned if you haven't done the timing chains you probably will have to at some point. Also take preventative measures against SMOD by replacing that radiator ASAP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I meant in terms of timing chain history (has it been done on your vehicle yet?). Try the cheap fix first, if it isn't the VIAS you'll know pretty quick. As I mentioned if you haven't done the timing chains you probably will have to at some point. Also take preventative measures against SMOD by replacing that radiator ASAP.
I firmly agree with you, cheap fix first. As far as I know, timing chains are original . I've done the radiator bypass back in ~2012 after checking my AT fluid and Coolant (no SMOD), finally ordered a new radiator this morning, Koyorad OEM Replacement Radiator Nissan Xterra 4.0L V6 AT 05-11 from https://frsport.com/koyorad-a2807-oem-replacement-radiator-nissan-xterra-4-0l-v6-at-05-11

I have also done the rear axle breather hose mod, since the stock breather rusted shut and blew my axle seals (pulled the axles and replaced with new OEM seals).

Reference for 3M Dp-190 from amazon, comes with applicator tip, and hand plunger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECWGJKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you perform the VIAS fix? Did it solve the issue?

Also, did you ride with this knock for 4 years? See the original postings are back from 2014. I just noticed it in last couple of weeks on my rig.

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead, because a junior member was thoughtful enough to upload the actual full Nissan Bulletin for the VAIS rattle fix. Took me forever to find the full thing, and I need to do this fix.

All the pictures are there, and the list of part numbers for McMaster Carr and Grainger. So you can order the correct stuff.

Thank you @XUGG

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been hearing an audible knocking at 1,000-1,250 RPM on my 2009 Xterra since last summer. The knocking/ticking only happens at 1,000-1,250 RPM under-load between 30-40 MPH on flat ground or at about 15-20 MPH uphill. I have removed most of the heat shields. The truck has about 77,000mi on it, fresh oil change, 4WD or 2WD, all accessories turned off. Noise goes away below or above this RPM range, does not get louder upon acceleration/deceleration, sounds normal at idle and start up.

Took a couple videos at different speeds, wondering what do you guys think it sounds like?

Does this sound like - TSB NTB05-015B, "Rattle noise from VIAS power valve actuator / intake manifold collector" or timing chain tensioner or noisy lifters? :scratch:

Thanks in advance.
So I have an 09 equator with the 4.0 that has a tick around 1500 rpms and it only happens occasionally while going up hill, or around 25-40

1 - 18 of 18 Posts