Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was washing her today and after I gave the rubber a good shining, I leaned in and found this. I am not losing any air from it, but it just doesn't look all that pretty. I am wondering what might have caused this? A rhino? Triceratops? Punk-ass kid with a switchblade?

·
on line
2,938 Posts
a curb, rock, running something over on the street.

I would put the spare on and use that tire as the spare.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I dont know about your local tire shop and their warranties but any damage to the sidewalls of my tire automatically mean a new tire since you can't really patch that. It all ready looks like you've taken something sharp to it on the road; I say finish the job and get a new tire if you have a warranty for it. :faroah:

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No warranty, that I am aware of. These are the tires that came with it when I bought it used. And I don't think I have anything regarding the tires in my info packet. I am planning on getting a set of the General Grabber AT2s very soon, when my reenlistment money comes in. No more off-roading for the time being. I checked it out and it just looks like I sliced the side of it, and it's not actually punctured or anything.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If those are stock tires, I would give them a good look. If that cut is deep enough, it could blow out. If those are aftermarket off-road tires, that doesn't look bad.

The difference is in the thickness of the sidewall. Tires like the BFG AT KO's have a very thick sidewall, where tires like the Rugged Trails or Long Trails have a very thin sidewall.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not the stock stock tires. I mean, they are not the same as the spare tire. I have Firestone Wilderness LEs on there right now. Not sure of what ply the sidewalls are, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts