Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html...8&ps_session=9c083d5de549852381cf8599fa86b21a

Im gonna be lifting my truck pretty soon and ive been weighing my options. Is this kit a decent kit or should i go another route. My other option was to go radflo with the TC UCA and a new leaf pack from whoever but this is probably going to be a little more. If anyone has this kit from AC could you give the pros and cons about this lift. Also, whats the biggest difference between the coilover units from AC and the radflos? Lastly, whats a good leaf pack for the rear. Sorry for all the questions, i just want to make sure i get the right stuff and not regret anything. Thanks all.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I don't know if you've considered this or not, but Greg sells a Radflo/Eibach coilover unit that you can use with the stock UCAs. They're a bit shorter than the units he builds for use with TC UCAs. Don't quote me, but I thought they were being sold for $699. You could probably get those, a deaver mini-pack and Bilstein rear shocks (also from Greg) and some SS brake lines for about the same or even maybe a few bucks less than the price of that AC setup.

I've had the AC springs. Ran them for about 10k before I upgraded to the Radflos (front and rear). Night and day difference. Granted, I wasn't running the AC/Bilstein coilover shocks in the front, but the springs were just way too stiff, even for off-road purposes. I don't think there's a single person on this board who upgraded to the Radflos and complained about it.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
2.5" radflos, deavers, and 5125 bils from prg is $1000 shipped

i bought this kit and added 1.5" shackles, s.s brake lines and axle shims, and i spent LESS then that A.C. kit, total!

call greg, his products are much better quality, you won't regret it!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW!! Thats a great price for all that. With the radflos, could i get a full 3" lift out of the front or are they limited to 2.5"? How are the Deavers and how much do they lift the truck. Are they a whole new leaf pack or just an AAL. Basically what im looking for is a 2.5-3" lift with a stiffer front end and a semi stiff rear for carrying Xtra load (family, gear, possible Shrock rear bumber with spare tire carrier). Lastly, are the 5125 from PRG the extended shocks for more travel? Once again, sorry for the questions but i think im leaning towards this. How much will the rear be lifted with the Deavers and the shackles?

·
on line
1,320 Posts
xterra3100 said:
WOW!! Thats a great price for all that. With the radflos, could i get a full 3" lift out of the front or are they limited to 2.5"? How are the Deavers and how much do they lift the truck. Are they a whole new leaf pack or just an AAL. Basically what im looking for is a 2.5-3" lift with a stiffer front end and a semi stiff rear for carrying Xtra load (family, gear, possible Shrock rear bumber with spare tire carrier). Lastly, are the 5125 from PRG the extended shocks for more travel? Once again, sorry for the questions but i think im leaning towards this. How much will the rear be lifted with the Deavers and the shackles?
1. You can just squeeze 3" out of the Radflo's you just sacrifice ride quality with that much preload which is why most choose to run them at about 2.5"... i personally only have the preload set to provide about 1" of lift to maximize travel/ride quality.

2. Deavers are pretty much the standard as far as desert race application springs go so if they can stand up to race abuse they'll work for you. Other comparable spring co's are national and alcan.
The deaver set-up that PRG sells is a mini-pak (AAL) that comes with 2-3 leaves and is designed to replace the overload leaf... to retain payload capacity you keep the overload leaf but you'll have to get longer U-bolts. Provides 1.5" lift

3. PRG shackles used in conjunction with the Deavers will let you have an adjustable amount of lift and wil easily get you up 3".

4. Yes, the PRG Bil 5125 shocks are ext length for use with the deaver pack. The AAL will improve articulation, the shackle adds travel and the longer shocks allow use of that travel... You will need longer brake lines!

As far as the AC set-up goes the front springs are oversprung for the X and no one is really sure about what vehicle they're Bil coilovers actually valved for.
The AC shackles are a great affordable piece of gear if you want to save $30 off the PRG shackles. 1.5" lift
Calmini sells longer u-bolts for $25 for the whole set.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So can the deavers be used with the Calmini or AC shackles? Can i install all this in my garage? im assuming that since ill be replacing the whole front shock assembly, im not gonna have to compress anything, just remove and replace right? do i have to tell prg about the shims that everyone is talking about and do they provide them. I tried to call PRG but no one is answering.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
First off dont buy the AC package.... Secondly... Definitely get your stuff from greg. his coilovers have been proven time and time again and they are plug and play... just take the old stuff off and slap the new stuff on... no need to compress springs or anything likethat. I have a set of used coilovers of gregs that I took off (because of my upgrade). check out the swap meet... i think im selling them for 515 bucks (regularly 699). If you want the full 3" of lift out of them then you will have to get new upper controll arms... as for the rear... get deavers then if you want a litte more height you can put shackles on the rear.

Yes all this can be done in your garage.... you just need the right tools (no specialty tools just a good set of sockets and stuff). make sure you have PB blaster or some other type of penetrating oil. I dont like WD 40 so what i use is liquid wrench. But im sure any type of stuff will do fine. Its better to do anything with a friend but all of this can be done by yourself. I have done all of my mods alone but wished i had someone to help.

any other questions?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Oh yeah, if you are going to get shackles I would go with PRG or AC... they are stonger than the calmini shackles because they have a center brace for rigidity. Calmini shackles dont.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
willgr1 said:
2.5" radflos, deavers, and 5125 bils from prg is $1000 shipped

i bought this kit and added 1.5" shackles, s.s brake lines and axle shims, and i spent LESS then that A.C. kit, total!

call greg, his products are much better quality, you won't regret it!
Is this the Radflo set-up OregonX just mentioned? I wasn't aware of any Radflo that you could use with stock UCAs, but that would be sweet. What is the coil bucket contact like with stock arms? Seems like a lot of people end up upgrading their spacers for something better, but it would be nice if the coil bucket contact was eliminated, too. Wishing for a lot I guess, but not everybody can swallow $600 for a set of TC arms.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
They do make the radflos for stock UCA's but im not sure exactly how much lift you can crank out of them. I understand that you dont want to fork over the extra 600 bucks for new UCA's. But think about this.... people are upgrading to the coilover shocks.... why not upgrade more of the suspension instead of just one part of it. If you want a very good suspension you will have to replace more than just the shock....

Now if you are going for just looks and not so much the function... then you should definitely get spacers rather than replace the whole shock...

thats just my 2 cents.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got off the phone with Greg and there are actually 2 choices for the radflos. if you choose to stick with the setup to match the stock shock length then you will still get the 2.5" lift but you wont get the extra travel. Talk to Greg, this guy is one of the most helpful individuals right now for us regarding suspension. He is more than happy to answer any questions you've got.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
:thumbright: Greg and I have had many phone sex..... uh, urrrr, I mean phone conversations over the past six months....

Hes definitely a good dude!!! :laughing6:

·
on line
2,077 Posts
greg is a good guy!

he told me if i eventually wanted to upgrade to a 3" lift in the front i can get a small spacer to go in the coilover so i wouldn't have to fork out for the new radflos, just the TC UCAs and the spacer piece......not sure if he told you that, but that's an option if you just don't have the extra cash for the UCAs

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aside from Alcan, are there any other leaf packs or AAL's that are noteworthy? Greg told me that the Deavers will not sag even under load. I know there is a certain weight that it will eventually but ill take his word for it. Anyone running a shrock rear bumper/tire carrier with the Deavers? I would like your input.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
willgr1 said:
greg is a good guy!

he told me if i eventually wanted to upgrade to a 3" lift in the front i can get a small spacer to go in the coilover so i wouldn't have to fork out for the new radflos, just the TC UCAs and the spacer piece......not sure if he told you that, but that's an option if you just don't have the extra cash for the UCAs
Yeah,,,, I actually have a spacer on my radflos right now....(nobody knows that though)... I just wasnt getting enough height out of the new radflos that i had ..... so I threw a spacer under there so i didnt have so much preload on my coilovers. Works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts