Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The answer is no, but I can tell you from first hand experience, the BMW isn't much faster than the X. I found this out through an impromptu experiment.

Now I am not a fan of street racing. But every once in a while, some youung punk needs to be taught a lesson. This is how it played out:

So I am running errands over lunch (ok, its Friday and it was a long lunch) and I come up to this red light. My side of the street is three lanes wide but there are no turns. A short distance ahead is a second red light. I am in the middle lane and the lane to my left becomes a left turn only lane in the next block. As I am sitting alone at this intersection I see a gaggle of vehicles coming up behind me. Most are working their way right to avoid the left turn only lane. Then this little BMW pops into the left lane after zigging between the other cars. He's the first one in the left lane, I am the first one in the lane next to him. The only way he can go strait is if he gets into my lane in the next block. You know what is coming don't you?

Well I was half expecting him to try to dart ahead of me as soon as the light turned green. I am sure he was too. So when the light turned green I started with my normal 1000rpm 1st gear departure. However it was immediately clear that he was going to try to dash in front of me so I flat footed it.

While the launch was not what one would use when Sandra Dee drops her scarf, the flat footing it did the trick. His little jump off the line put my front bumper at his rear door, but thats all he could manage. In fact I started sneaking up on him until I bounced off the rev limiter and backed off. We were running out of room and I didn't want him to go sliding into the next intersection trying to get in front of me. As it was he still overcooked it to the next light getting in front of me and had to test his ABS to stop. I just came put putting up behind him and waved.

It took him a couple of seconds to regain his composure, but he managed a sheepish wave then took off wheh the light changed. Being Northern Virginia, he immediately became snarled in traffic, boxed in by a taxi cab, dump truck and a hybrid. I ended up put putting past him a few minutes later only to watch him look over at my door and mouth the words "Off Road".

Maybe next time he'll just fall in line behind everyone else and wait his turn. Not likely, but maybe.

-Old Army

·
on line
1,479 Posts
that's a great story :cheers:

·
on line
496 Posts
The 4.0l is nice. I suprise quite a few people over here with how fast our trucks are. They're used to seeing trucks like mine running a underpowered diesel or gas engine. Then they get passed by the beast going 120+ kph :usa2:. Or the triple takes when they see the Shrock bumper w/Hella 4000's coming up their arse :rockin:

·
on line
628 Posts
I too am extremely impressed by the power and speeds the X can produce. I was able to take a Dodge Dakota (5.9 with some mods) with no problem. I do understand the weight difference though kind of not really fair.

The problem I have is that it is almost scary to have a vehicle with such a HCG capable of going that fast. I have had it up to 105 MPH and backed off. Are they governed at any point?

·
on line
576 Posts
07XXXterra said:
I too am extremely impressed by the power and speeds the X can produce. I was able to take a Dodge Dakota (5.9 with some mods) with no problem. I do understand the weight difference though kind of not really fair.

The problem I have is that it is almost scary to have a vehicle with such a HCG capable of going that fast. I have had it up to 105 MPH and backed off. Are they governed at any point?
Yes it is governed to 114mph because the stock tires are only rated to 116mph. Although some have claimed to have gone 120mph based on their speedo.

·
on line
154 Posts
My brother has an 2005 Acura TL that I laid waste to until we hit 85. The X is definatly not lacking in the power department. :bounce:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
nice, I like to make people like that work for their spot, never anything dangerous but make them burn a little more fuel than they expected.

·
on line
61 Posts
I love doing that to people in my x. And then like you said they see the OFF ROAD badge and it makes you feel even more smug!

·
on line
190 Posts
I really enjoy embarrassing the rednecks in my town in lifted Chevy's and Fords who have the bad ass cam loap sound and loud exhaust.

·
on line
15 Posts
Delaware_X said:
I really enjoy embarrassing the rednecks in my town in lifted Chevy's and Fords who have the bad ass cam loap sound and loud exhaust.
LOL. Or the Dodges running around with no muffler's and a "hemi-in-er".

Hemi + No mufflers = instant race truck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts