Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to file a formal lawsuit against Nissan due to there refusal to replace my rear diff. The Titan guys are using a True Trac LSD when Nissan denies replacement and to avoid more exploding diffs. Called Eaton and they do not know if the Titan and Xterra carrier will interchange. Any idea?

·
on line
735 Posts
are the side gears interchangeable from the original diff, or does eaton make the weird 32 spline ones for nissan now?

·
on line
75 Posts
I'm not sure what you are meaning?

The TrueTrac is a direct bolt in. Yes the 32 spline is being made. You do not want to even consider using the stock side gears, since they are noted to be weak too.

I hope this answered your questions.

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I knew you could answer that. This is a great temporary solution to exploding REAR diffs until the day we can get an ARB or something. Eaton does NOT know they are interchangeable. After I install mine I will give them a call.

·
on line
776 Posts
exploding diff!

I was talking to a guy today and he said that you can take a diff apart and heat treat the inner working parts to allow a little more strength! Though, he was not able to give me specifics (Temp, etc.) seems like it would likely work... For a mild strengthening technique any how!

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: exploding diff!

ridge runner x said:
I was talking to a guy today and he said that you can take a diff apart and heat treat the inner working parts to allow a little more strength! Though, he was not able to give me specifics (Temp, etc.) seems like it would likely work... For a mild strengthening technique any how!
These diffs are so weak, I dont think that would be worth it. If your talking an occasional axle break with 35s...well that might help. But spider gears or side gears that are so small they shatter after only a few trips off-road and stock tires, you just wont gain enough.

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes this is just for the D44. As far as I know the stock Nissan diff is fine as in the past. Both units will need an ARB though, for real wheeling, as the True Trac is just a limited slip, temporary solution.

As far as class action...maybe. That is kind of a wait and see. The denials are starting to pile up, though more on the Titan side. I have seen maybe 2 dozen denials so far between all 3 models. My attorney is also not a class action guy, so he would have to refer me most likely.

Oh, that brings up another thing, while talking about Titan. The Nissan rep jumped up and down practically telling us the Titan diff was NOT the same, because they knew we would bring up the endless Titan failures. Even armed with part numbers and such. Its things like flat out lies, making things up, ect that make me want to pursue this non-sense further.

·
on line
68 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
Yes this is just for the D44. As far as I know the stock Nissan diff is fine as in the past. Both units will need an ARB though, for real wheeling, as the True Trac is just a limited slip, temporary solution.

As far as class action...maybe. That is kind of a wait and see. The denials are starting to pile up, though more on the Titan side. I have seen maybe 2 dozen denials so far between all 3 models. My attorney is also not a class action guy, so he would have to refer me most likely.

Oh, that brings up another thing, while talking about Titan. The Nissan rep jumped up and down practically telling us the Titan diff was NOT the same, because they knew we would bring up the endless Titan failures. Even armed with part numbers and such. Its things like flat out lies, making things up, ect that make me want to pursue this non-sense further.
Lloyd, If your attorney went to a reputable law school he will have read the recent version of "Cases and Materials on Evidence" and would be familiar with the rules for evidence. Did he ask for any discovery as to whether or not the diffs were the same between the two models? He should ask for this discovery and put the burden of proof on Nissan for differentiating the two. What are there part numbers? Where were they sourced? What makes them different mechanically? If they are different, do they share same components, etc?
This would be another critical tie-in for his (your attorney) arguments for incidences of failure. If your moving for an establishment of "pattern failure" and he hasn't asked for discovery by these means....he is a lop.
Another thing, who is handling this mediation/arbitration so poorly that the nissan rep can dismiss a question like this and act as you say?

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The arbitration was set up through the BBB, so real informal. Without a doubt this will end up in REAL arbitration down the road and we know what there positions will be, and how to defeat them. Since I just installed a Titan carrier in my Diff, the arguement wont hold alot of water!

Discovery should be a bit fun. I love being on the winnign side :cheers:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I dont understand what you mean.... you lost? But it will go furthur, and then you will win? Why does installing the titan carrier support your position?

I didnt get much sleep last night so im not at full brain capacity right now! :p

·
on line
68 Posts
Yea, I don't get it either. Lloyd what's up! I've never heard of the BBB being involved in arbitration. Normally the warrantor reserves the right to establish venue and it will be stated so in most warranties. Nissans does as well. Their legal departments are very thorough in this regard. Why and how is the BBB involved?

·
on line
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nissan actually partners with the BBB to do non-binding arbitration. We lost, because Nissan brought in a ringer technical inspector to claim the Calimini lift blew the diff by lowering the fluid level. Obviously thats a lie, and we can prove it,(fluid level barely changes, the ring gear lubricates the diff regardless, and low oil takes out bearings, seals and wears on the ring gear, does not cause spiders to strip) but not in that venue. The Arbitrator was a dealer and excepted that technical report as gospal.

Nissan KNEW we would bring up the world famous exploding Titan diffs and came armed with different part numbers for the 2 diffs. Of course, the spring purches are different. That goes to show how dirty Nissan is playing. They were ready to blame Calimini and run away from the Titan fiasco- connection. Not the same diff as the world famous exploding Titan diff kind of goes out the door when I installed the internals built for a Titan into the X...If not, we can find a junk yard unit and match it up. How far does Nissan want to push there lies???

·
on line
68 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
Nissan actually partners with the BBB to do non-binding arbitration. We lost, because Nissan brought in a ringer technical inspector to claim the Calimini lift blew the diff by lowering the fluid level. Obviously thats a lie, and we can prove it,(fluid level barely changes, the ring gear lubricates the diff regardless, and low oil takes out bearings, seals and wears on the ring gear, does not cause spiders to strip) but not in that venue. The Arbitrator was a dealer and excepted that technical report as gospal.

Nissan KNEW we would bring up the world famous exploding Titan diffs and came armed with different part numbers for the 2 diffs. Of course, the spring purches are different. That goes to show how dirty Nissan is playing. They were ready to blame Calimini and run away from the Titan fiasco- connection. Not the same diff as the world famous exploding Titan diff kind of goes out the door when I installed the internals built for a Titan into the X...If not, we can find a junk yard unit and match it up. How far does Nissan want to push there lies???
Ok, that helps. That is an interesting argument they present regarding the gear oil. How is it they maintain that level when the vehicle is in motion whether side to side, front to back and up and down. As far as I know there is no baffling inside the diff to regulate the fluid movement over parts. Its a simple oil bath system. Braking and acceleration, turns right and left all have affects on this fluid level...it's constantly changing. Only one thing is designed to be contant in the diff regarding lube, and that is having the ring gear constantly passing through the lower "pickup" portion of the housing and working to distribute the lube. All diffs are designed with consideration of the housing volume and fluid level to ensure the ring gear is constanly immersed and dispersing lube to all portion of the diff. This "ringer" is a lop, and his arguments should have either been summarily dismissed or the argument turned back to Nissan for a claim of yet another design flaw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts