Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at several X candidates that I may want to buy. Some of them have a tow package. Considering I never tow, and I think it's ugly, I'm wondering if it's possible to remove it. A dealer told me they can't take it off cuz it's part of the VIN or some shit. That aside, is it physically possible to simply remove the towing equipment?

any feedback is appreciated

·
on line
1,208 Posts
well if all the towing packedge comes with cosmeticly is a hitch and the wireing harness then YES. those should be able to come off. but there might be some electrical changes if there really is something in the VIN. I know that regular X owners can purchase a Nissan wireing harness and trailer brake assist parts directly from Nissan that plug into factory ports. So I might have just confused you or maybe helped you, I know I added the wireing harness and hitch straight from Nissan parts shop.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
You may not tow, or even go offroad, just keep in mind, it's your only rear recovery anchor point. IMO, unless you're going straight to an aftermkt rear tire carrier, deal w/ the tow package for now. It's good.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
DBAX said:
You may not tow, or even go offroad, just keep in mind, it's your only rear recovery anchor point. IMO, unless you're going straight to an aftermkt rear tire carrier, deal w/ the tow package for now. It's good.
Thats one reason why I put it on my truck, that and I do tow stuff. But a solid recovery point it is great for.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
If I remember correctly, there are three bolts per side. Don't forget to disconnect the trailer wiring harness.

I agree with everyone else who suggests to leave it on, though. The rear recovery point is a good thing. Also, you may end up towing at some point in the future (U-haul, tow dolly, friend's boat, etc.). Maybe you have mountain bikes that you want to carry on the X, but not on the roof....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts