Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here is my thought. the rear bumper is something around 1300 after all the dif addons for jack, fule/water holder, tire ect. well all that fits just as well on a roof rack . yes it is WAY BETTER looking and leaves room for other stuff on the roof, but is it that better? i see a need for it on a jeep. but the X is way better equiped. so i want to hear you ideas on this topic. im sure one day i will get one so i dont have to climb on top my X every time but the fact i have a 10 mo boy not any time soon. so climb away i will

·
Registered
203 Posts
The main thing most of us will tell you is easy access to the spare tire. Imagine if you truck was stuck on an obstacle or on muddy terrain and you can't lower the spare underneath the truck to get it free. Much nicer to be able to just take it off the back of the swing arm. Hell, even if you're just on an easy forest service road and it's muddy it's nice not to have to get down on hands and knees to get the spare out from underneath.

That's all I can speak for though. My carrier doesn't have a jack holder or space for fuel/water cans.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
The only reason I have for a rear bumper is the tire carrier. The other huge reason is the rear recovery points though. Then again, I've been running solid rear recovery points for a long time through the stock bumper.

The spare tire is a pain though, I keep it in the back of the truck because I don't like keeping it under the truck, but it does take a lot of room in the truck. It's all about personal preference. I'll probably buy on someday but I'm in the same boat as you, it's a lot of money for what it is.

·
on line
496 Posts
I just installed a rear Shrock, but without carrier, and it cost me $469. I did it for the recovery, the heavy duty steel, and for the hitch, so I don't loose clearance by adding a separate hitch. For me, I use the trunk a lot, and I don't find it very convenient to keep opening the carrier every time I need to open the trunk. Besides, I had an 06 OR for 5 years, and now two years my Pro-4X, and never needed to lower the rear spare, so if it happens once in a blue moon, I can live with the inconvenience, compared to keep opening the carrier so many times every day. Now having said that, I'll probably get a flat on my first trip!!! By the way, I like the look of the spare on a rear carrier.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The main thing most of us will tell you is easy access to the spare tire. Imagine if you truck was stuck on an obstacle or on muddy terrain and you can't lower the spare underneath the truck to get it free. Much nicer to be able to just take it off the back of the swing arm.
THIS^^ Yes you can add goodies to your rear carrier but they are not necessary as the hi lift will fit under your seat and gas tanks can go on your roof with a cheap rack. Rear recovery points are important but can be added to a stock rear bumper, you can get a cheap yakima rack for the top to hold your spare and gas or have it take up area in your rear cargo area.

It's just a compromise on where you want to lose/gain room, but any way you slice it I wouldn't want it under my rig if I was actually utilizing my rig off road.

·
on line
14,627 Posts
aftermarket rear bumper:

spare tire carrier check
trailer hitch check
rear winch check
CB antenna mount check
ham antenna mount check
LED work light check
rear facing camera check

.....Lots of things you can do with a bumper ....maybe even a bottle opener :)

·
on line
7,144 Posts
aftermarket rear bumper:

spare tire carrier check
trailer hitch check
rear winch check
CB antenna mount check
ham antenna mount check
LED work light check
rear facing camera check

.....Lots of things you can do with a bumper ....maybe even a bottle opener :)
Grooter's nose check

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with your rig. If you go to Moab every weekend, it could be beneficial to have a tire carrier so you have space for the rest of your supplies (and, again, easier to grab the spare off the back if you're hung up on an obstacle with a flat and no other option than to change it). If it's a DD and you transport a lot of stuff in the back, could be an annoyance (you can get a hitch-mount tire carrier for wheeling days, though those can cost as much as an entire bumper, not to mention the reduced departure angle).

My X is my DD and I am usually the sole occupant. I keep my spare in the cargo area. I don't use my cargo area very much, most of what I move is groceries and tools (and most of that stuff is in the passenger area), though I recently had to put the spare back under to transport some larger items. It does occasionally get annoying that it takes up so much space (and there are only so many ways to stack things safely on top of a tire). I don't think I could justify the expense of a full bumper with carrier, but I can certainly afford to make a tire carrier to attached to my recovery tabs. Since I don't use my cargo area often I wouldn't mind unlatching the carrier every now and again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts