1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
on line
807 Posts
I didn't read the whole thing, but seeing as the site is clearly a retailer of Amsoil, I think their data might be a little biased.

·
on line
617 Posts
It's merely an artifact of how Amsoil distributes its products. Amsoil's distribution is largely "grass roots" through a large network of smaller dealers. They prefer to convert enthusiasts of their products into dealers. For them, the word of mouth network is their preferred approach. Like products using similar approaches, enthusiasm and sales pitch can be one and the same. This does not automatically invalidate what is being stated, but should be taken into account.

As to the product itself, Amsoil has a very loyal following. It's a good product, but there are raging debates as to whether its advantages over other products are significant. There are entire forums solely dedicated to the composition of synthetic lubricants and the relative advantages. The base stock and chemistry of Amsoil, Mobil, Castrol and the others are argued at length. It will make your brain hurt.

I recommend that one not waste much time on it, but rather research it if you wish and buy whatever you want.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do use Mobil 1 for no reason I can seriously justify, I sell nothing and could care less what everyone else puts in their engines.

-Old Army

·
on line
1,831 Posts
I've noticed that neither Autozone, Kragen, or Pep Boys stock Amsoil. Where can I find it readily available?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that is what Sucks about Amsoil, availability. I hate it. You have to order over the net or from a dealer. They send it to the house from warehouse closest to ya, 3 days maybe 5.

Anyways. I posted something about this a while back, It was a court ruling in a lawsuit that allowed Oil Company's to jack with the synthetic oil because a judge ruled that "Synthetic" term was not defined, so, anyone can call anything synthetic. As you can see, Mobil and Castrol jumped on the wagon quite quickly.

I'd imagine that is also why Amsoil can go one year or 25K miles and others recommend you change their "Synthetic" about the same interval as dino oil, because that is about what it is after they pollute it.

I have some sever gear I can't wait to get it into the Diffs and the transfer case.

MC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts