Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an oil change as part of my 50k maintenance service, but looking at the service printout it stated something odd. Had me down for 6 qts. of oil when I only gave them 5 of my own (using Mobil 1 synth. extended life), of which they only used 4 and topped off the other 2 w/ Penzoil synth. extended life. Now not only do I have two different oils in my engine, though both synthetic and extended mileage, but the Penzoil was 5w-30 and my Mobil 1 was 10w-30! How much longer do I have w/ her before she's a gonner?!

·
on line
2,874 Posts
that's exactly why i now change my own oil....... i normally always have, but apartment living doesn't help (used to have a house pre-divorce). I am now renting a garage and I do my oil changes in there... I honestly woulnd not trust anybody to use my oil if i gave it to them unless i watch every move they make. what places let you do that??? none...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Nothing will happen to your X. You can drain it now or in 5K miles and nothing bad is going to happen.

Now, I have no idea why they would do something like that. At least use the 5 Qt you brought them, not just 4.

·
on line
612 Posts
Yay, the realization that people suck is a tough one to come to but you managed and from here on out be the master of your own destiny!!!! woot

·
on line
3,050 Posts
If i dont give my dealer enough oil(which i do) they would just top it up with mobile 1 also, and I would pay the difference if any....i am sure your x will be fine.

·
on line
735 Posts
oils of different viscosities mix. I'd probably run it for the interval to get your monies worth.

·
on line
376 Posts
You'll be fine. It holds 5.4, but they probably just put 6 down so they could charge you an extra quart. Where I work I usually don't charge an extra quart unless its like .7 qts. or more. I would probably check the level if I were you though.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wait...

Did you get your oil changed or your tranny fluid?

But yes, I would take it back ASAP and have the tranny changed with the correct fluid. That is the wrong fluid.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I do not know what the difference is between Matic J and Mercon/Dexron is, but I have not heard of an additive. Matic J is a Nissan thing I think. With something as complex as an auto tranny, I put the required stuff in, or get in writing from the store manager that if you have any problems with the tranny...ever...that they are responsible. I have no idea what running Mercon/Dexron would do, but it might not be good.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
when i was back in Maryland i have the 30K servic done just before i moved, and i asked the shop owner (personal friend) about putting Mercon/Dexron in when he does the tranny flush.....well...I have never heard someone so adiment about using the required Matic J......he went up and down for 10 minutes showing me the specs in one of his books, and telling me stories about cars he's seen that had tranmissions die because a different tranny fluid was used instead of the indicated type.

so in summary, get the X back there and demand it be redone properly! and if they say it's ok as is, have the dealers redo it, and get in writing from the dealership why the Matic J is required and make the other place reimburse you the costs at the dealership

1 - 20 of 24 Posts