Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I let my friend test drive my X. Despite, my wished, he felt the need to go into 4Lo on the pavement. although, he was stopped, the vehicle was in Drive, not neutral, and he then porceeded to drive for about 10 feet with the dial in 4Lo, the little icon on the instrument cluster never stopped flashing. He then stopped and put it back into 2WD, while in Drive. My question to you guys is should i be worried about any real damage to my drivetrain? There weren't any aweful noises or anything, I just thought it was a terrible thing to do. (by the way i promise I didn't do it and im jsut ttrying to cover my ass, it really was my friend driving.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
No issue. Nissan makes the system smarter then the driver.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
yeah your fine, the X will not go into 4lo unless your in neutral and stoped or going REAL slow, I always have to stop. If your X is moving and in drive, the Tcase will not adjust. :D

·
on line
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, sorry about the awful spelling in my initial post. I was in a complete panic when i wrote it, for fear that my X's 3 day old transfer case was in danger.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
You should go and try it out so you understand how it operates.

When in park/neutral change to 4lo. You will hear the T-case engage and 4LO displayed solid on the dash.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
kokopop is right, you should take your X out and play. You can shift into 4-high while moving, but 4-low, you need to be stopped. Typically, I have my truck in nuetral with my foot on the brake before attempting to to switch to 4-low. If you have the Off-Road edition with the rear locker, you should practice using it as well. Just don't do any of this on dry pavement.

·
on line
704 Posts
You are fine. I have done the same thing by mistake on a car that I owened for like 1 hour :)

·
on line
2,874 Posts
ok, i am not a mechanic, but i do have some mechanical knowledge and am reasonably intelligent- not according to my ex-wife though... but i digress....

putting your part time 4x4 vehicle (what we have) into 4x4 hi or lo on dry pavement is a no-no according to the manual. why? because of something called driveline windup. The front diff wants slipping to occur, like in snow,mud,sand,loose gravel, etc because when you turn, one tire will be spinning faster than the other. Even going straight for extended distances, like miles, you might have windup due to the slight variation in tire diameter. 10 feet in a straight line is nothing at all to worry about. I do it all the time to keep the system in the front lubed since i don't wheel that much. Now what you don't want to do is take a sharp turn in 4x4 hi or lo. you will feel it bind and maybe clunk a little, nothing is breaking but if you go far enough in a circle parts may start to fly. going in circles on sand or any other loose surface is perfectly fine because the wheels up front can slip thereby releasing windup...

so in summary, driving your 4x4 part time on hard pavement for 1/2 mile or 2 is ok as long as you take no sharp curves/corner. I THINK windup is cumulative in that once you release it, you start at zero more or less, or as you go further and further without a release, it builds until *SNAP*, but i might be wrong in that regard.

don't worry, your friend did no damage, 99.9% sure. And, he probably actually helped in lubing you up a little...

·
on line
2,874 Posts
i just read the last part of my post:

And, he probably actually helped in lubing you up a little...

didn't mean it the wrong way...

:blackeye:

·
on line
145 Posts
You let someone else drive your X? and even worse when it's only 3 hours old?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts