Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, X vs concrete barrier, I lost. I'm a little tender, but OK. I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight as to what to expect when dealing with the insurance company. I have a appointment with them tomorrow, what do you all think:

So you think they are going to total her out, 06 S with 83k? I know it has frame damage from the way it drives and the way the body is so far off, airbag deployed, everything up front is toast including the core support and headlights. Hood is OK, both fenders are junk. The list goes on...

I owe 11k + $500 for collision deductible + $1k if I want to claim any aftermarket stuff (listed in my build), comps in the area are in the $12-$17k range.

I love this thing and I'd hate to see her go. Any input would be appreciated :blackeye:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I can't tell from the pics if the frame horns are actually bent or not. I can see that the body mount is a little messed up, but that would be ok. With a little love it would be very easy to score the OEM replacement parts that you need on here.

If they do total it, get a big fat check and buy it back from the insurance company on the cheap with a salvage title. Fix it for a couple hundred bucks (minus the airbag, that's going to cost you) and pocket the rest. Or put the money into a new X. Either way take the money and gather your parts your self, do not let the insurance company's adjuster just give you his estimate, take it to a couple well known shops that do phenomenal work, someone with a frame straightener preferably as they would know more about that damage.... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't tell from the pics if the frame horns are actually bent or not. I can see that the body mount is a little messed up, but that would be ok. With a little love it would be very easy to score the OEM replacement parts that you need on here.

If they do total it, get a big fat check and buy it back from the insurance company on the cheap with a salvage title. Fix it for a couple hundred bucks (minus the airbag, that's going to cost you) and pocket the rest. Or put the money into a new X. Either way take the money and gather your parts your self, do not let the insurance company's adjuster just give you his estimate, take it to a couple well known shops that do phenomenal work, someone with a frame straightener preferably as they would know more about that damage.... Good luck!
Yeah, it either did one or a combo of the following: A) It just pushed the driver side frame rail back in relation to the passenger side. B) It pushed it back and down. The front body mount is way off but you can follow them all the way back and see that the whole thing moved. Also the skids don't quite line up so well anymore:(

Seriously depressed over this! I have made a ton of memories with family and friends in this thing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
People tend to have problems using aftermarket parts on a crashed car. I did I know. Even if you find the "Di Vinci"of auto body mechanics you'll always have bumpers that will end up being crooked, suspensions that won't align, crazy sensors that throws code on and off at random, tires that will wear out funny, more money and time will be spent and before you know it a year down the line you'll revive this thread telling us all how you regretted not getting a new X (pro 4x or something with an e locker and leather seats)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
762 Posts
If the insurance company totals it, take your money and run. Nothing worse then chasing goblins in your suspension and drivetrain that are caused by a frame that is 1/4" off. I learned this the hard way. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to here the long story version

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well, if you have nothing better to do man...

I was driving home after work and was getting off the freeway. It had just started to rain about 5 min before I got to the 3 lane off ramp. I took the middle lane and started to make the left turn... Well the guy in the inside lane started to slide into my lane, there was something expensive on the outside lane, and a whole lotta cars behind us. I at the time felt it was best to try and shoot the gap between the two cars to my left and right....Well, I just made it. As I started to turn to miss the wall since I was now half way in the middle/outside lane, the rear end came out from under me. I rode that out for what seemed like forever and just when I felt like it was going to settle down it grabbed hard and threw me straight into the wall, hitting slightly harder on the left front. Game over.

Nobody stopped to help, give me there number/info, anything. I can't even say with any certainty what kind of car almost hit me to cause this mess in the first place. With nobody sited, this is all going to land on me. I should've taken the side swipe or gotten rear ended.

A few things I've learned here:
1) Don't think that ahole that ran you off the road is gonna stop.
2) Don't ever get air bagged, it sucks worse than the crash.
3) Don't try to drift a lifted X on 33"s on pavement, I'm never going to be able to use those undies again. Thank god it was wet or I'm 99% sure It would've been on it's lid.
4) DO NOT have a full 5gal gas can in the back of your X when the firey explosion goes off in your steering wheel. Even if your undies make it through #3, they will not make it through #4.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That sucks! Let me add:

5) Install a dash cam.

I have one, all I have so far is video of people being stupid and one spectacular truck tire blow-out, but if someone does ever cause a wreck then run, at least I will have video of them.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the long version. There is always some advice in them that may help people in the future.

Did you vdc kick in?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I almost want to say vdc is what screwed me... I honestly think had I been in control of my own brakes and throttle, I could have pulled this off. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where are your sway bars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
On the side of the house, where they belong. I know where you are going with this... But I've never run sway bars in any of my rigs and if you know what to expect the loss in on road performance is worth the boost in off road articulation. I don't feel like sway bars would've helped here.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Well, if you have nothing better to do man...

I was driving home after work and was getting off the freeway. It had just started to rain about 5 min before I got to the 3 lane off ramp. I took the middle lane and started to make the left turn... Well the guy in the inside lane started to slide into my lane, there was something expensive on the outside lane, and a whole lotta cars behind us. I at the time felt it was best to try and shoot the gap between the two cars to my left and right....Well, I just made it. As I started to turn to miss the wall since I was now half way in the middle/outside lane, the rear end came out from under me. I rode that out for what seemed like forever and just when I felt like it was going to settle down it grabbed hard and threw me straight into the wall, hitting slightly harder on the left front. Game over.

Nobody stopped to help, give me there number/info, anything. I can't even say with any certainty what kind of car almost hit me to cause this mess in the first place. With nobody sited, this is all going to land on me. I should've taken the side swipe or gotten rear ended.

A few things I've learned here:
1) Don't think that ahole that ran you off the road is gonna stop.
2) Don't ever get air bagged, it sucks worse than the crash.
3) Don't try to drift a lifted X on 33"s on pavement, I'm never going to be able to use those undies again. Thank god it was wet or I'm 99% sure It would've been on it's lid.
4) DO NOT have a full 5gal gas can in the back of your X when the firey explosion goes off in your steering wheel. Even if your undies make it through #3, they will not make it through #4.
That sucks man! What a bunch of jerks that they just drove off and away. Hope it all works out okay in the long run.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This sucks, sad story, I would have stopped to help! This will all pan out, don't worry, there are lots more Xterra's out there to choose from if yours get totaled

1 - 20 of 82 Posts