Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has an '06 4x4. Everytime I have ridden in his truck, on highways, he switches to 4hi everytime he has to pass a vehicle. I told him that 4hi is not meant for passing and he told me that he does it all the time because switching to 4hi gives him better passing power when all wheels are engaged. Is this bad for his truck?

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Well considering your not supposed to go over 60 mph in 4hi, I would think so. It is definitely something I would NOT do myself. The only time I ever switch into 4hi/lo is on the trails, I've never used it on highway driving.

·
on line
46 Posts
Yes. Bad. Our 4wd system is not meant for hard, dry-surfaced roads since there is no center diff. Also, the manual says that 4wd should not be used above 62.5 mph (on any surface).

It's his truck - if he wants to slowly destroy his transfer case that's his call.

·
on line
152 Posts
probably not the best for the truck and definitely NOT SAFE at all. It wont give him more power and he should be taught what 4x4 is actually for before he flips his truck.

·
on line
735 Posts
He doesn't sound like a very analytically thinking person. Is this some kind of emotional line of thought? if he used his set-of-the-pants-ometer or any other rational test methods, he'd realize that the truck is putting less power to the ground (from drivetrain losses) and is actually slower.

It would have more forward traction. that's it. if you can't burn off two wheels,you don't need to engage all four on a dry highway.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Actually getting less power as he is turning more parts with the front engaged. More likely to induce torque type steering if the road surface is uneven or he hits a pothole and is putting more strain on component meant for lower speeds. Likely hasn't had an issue because most passing is in a straight line. Not that I wish ill evens on your friend but if the front end does come apart when he's doing 70mph passing some one I want pictures, should be truely spectacular (a bit of playful sarcasim)

·
on line
3,272 Posts
So since he isnt a member of the site, can we berate him without end and mock his dangerous and poorly devised technique?

It might help persuade him to discontinue this practice. After all, we are only looking out for his best interest..... :cheers:

·
on line
443 Posts
its all pressure based so I would assume so...

He wouldn't be my friend any more. ;)

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Wowwwww this has to be one of the dumbest concepts I have everrr heard. I don't understand how people don't know the difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. As said above the only reason this probably hasn't damaged anything yet is because most freeways are relatively straight which is going to put a lot less strain on that center differential. I hate to say this but if he actually thinks that is going to help him pass go buy an FJ which is all wheel drive.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I dont think FJ's are awd. In some FJ's they are full time 4wd but i think it only applies to manual FJ's. Other than that its a part time system like ours. AWD vehicles are the Murano, Pilot, MDX,....etc, etc. Ya know those damn crossover vehicles!

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Mmmm definitely not the smartest guy... I would advise to him to stop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts