Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an old thread about the Fox IFP 2.0 2" lift coilovers and found them for a steal. But I cannot find anywhere at all where people wheeling are running these, and especially how they hold up to the weight of armor. Mainly because they do not claim their spring rates ANYWHERE! which is very annoying, needless to say. So I am reaching out to see if anyone has any in depth experience with these shocks. Thanks.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/producthandler.asp?p=fox-racing-shox-983-02-054&skip=True

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's weird is that there are no reviews on the frontier forums either. I am not understanding why there are virtually no reveiws on these shocks. I am wondering if they are just a quick bolt on option like the bilstien adjustable shocks. Made by a great company but dont provide the performance gains a serious off roader would appreciate.

What I was able to find were a few magazine write ups saying they were an improvement over stock. But that is a very generic and vague reveiw. Plus no hard specs like spring rate etc. Which leads me to believe that these might not be designed for the people who would be adding armor etc,

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I saw an old thread about the Fox IFP 2.0 2" lift coilovers and found them for a steal. But I cannot find anywhere at all where people wheeling are running these, and especially how they hold up to the weight of armor. Mainly because they do not claim their spring rates ANYWHERE! which is very annoying, needless to say. So I am reaching out to see if anyone has any in depth experience with these shocks. Thanks. http://www.streetsideauto.com/producthandler.asp?p=fox-racing-shox-983-02-054&skip=True
My concern on these coilovers would be the spring itself, ie what weight it's rated as.. I doubt that it's rated much higher than a stick setup but could be wrong, most if us in Colorado are running a 650lb setup if that helps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
that ad is extremely singular. Sounds like you only get one and it would be 720 for a pair. Considering there are so many unknowns I would just pony up the extra 60 bucks for the Radflo's

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
that site gets my spam sense tingling. the photo seems like its just a stock one and the page says that they don't have vehicle specific fitment info yet, so unless you know that part number fits your rig, its probably just where the fox line starts at.

that said, Fox are good stuff, the Ford Raptor factory suspension bits are fox racing iirc.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that ad is extremely singular. Sounds like you only get one and it would be 720 for a pair. Considering there are so many unknowns I would just pony up the extra 60 bucks for the Radflo's
I was sold on the radflos before I found these, and I agree the amount of unknowns and the price being so close to the rads makes me want to rethink these Fox shocks. I am big on reviews and first hand recommendations and the rads are so well known its hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I did a little more digging and found this:

Extended Length: 16.857"

Compressed Length: 12.532"

Travel: 4.325"

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/specialty-auto-parts/2005-current-frontier-xterra-0-2-lift-performance-series-ifp-front-coil-over-shock#ixzz2jFWdzjrw

Based on travel numbers alone, they are a bit more than the stock 4.01" travel and a bit less than the Bilstein 5100's 4.71". The shock lengths are confusing and I wonder where they're getting these dimensions. It can't be from top plate to the center of the bottom eye mount. If it was, the shock would be too long and would cause CB contact, which I haven't read about.

Who knows about damping and spring rates. Someone here said they called Fox and got 400 lbs/in. I can't see that as being accurate when a lot of people are upgrading to 600+ lbs/in springs...

Since they're almost as much as RadFlo's and you can have the RadFlo's valved and sprung to your specs, I don't see the Fox shocks as being a viable alternative. Plus, considering my satisfied experience with the Bilstein's, I'd be hard pressed to shell out the cash for a product with very little info about it...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the response I got from Fox when I inquired further into these shocks.

Dustin,
These shocks come with a 14” 400# spring. They are adjustable so you can add a little bit of pre load or tension to the spring if you find it sitting a little low with the added weight. The added 150 lbs. will not affect the performance of the shock

Regards,

Sean Cramer
International Sales/Technical Support - Offroad Division
Truck | SUV | Offroad Race | Defense

So basically, you can preload the coil to ensure you lose no lift from the added weight of the bumper. Not sure what else to make of these shocks.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey Dustin, I really don't think that with the Hefty Bumper and the fact at some point you'll be adding aftermarket skids, and possibly a winch that those springs are gonna work. In my opinion there gonna be to soft and it will effect the ride..
Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Dustin, I really don't think that with the Hefty Bumper and the fact at some point you'll be adding aftermarket skids, and possibly a winch that those springs are gonna work. In my opinion there gonna be to soft and it will effect the ride..
Just my .02 cents
I am thinking the same thing. I think I am just going to save for the Radflos. They have a good reputation and a solid following, with enough write ups and reviews to justify purchasing them. If I wasn't going to armor up then I might consider the Fox's.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am thinking the same thing. I think I am just going to save for the Radflos. They have a good reputation and a solid following, with enough write ups and reviews to justify purchasing them. If I wasn't going to armor up then I might consider the Fox's.
Don't forget that if you buy them from Greg at PRG, he custom valves every set of RadFlo's for the customer's needs. I talked to him at length about this and just didn't go that route because of cost. If your needs change, he can re-valve the shocks for you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts