Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is flushing the trans every 30k miles overkill? I did a flush 30k miles ago and did a 4 quart drin and fill twice on purpose and once by accident since. Just wondering if waiting till next spring would be good or should I do the flush before winter sets in.

Opinions are welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I personally dont think its overkill, with the new gears and the truck hitting 100,00 miles. I do mine every 15,000 and in the winter it is important with how much mountain driving i do, so if you can afford it and have the time I say go for it.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally dont think its overkill, with the new gears and the truck hitting 100,00 miles. I do mine every 15,000 and in the winter it is important with how much mountain driving i do, so if you can afford it and have the time I say go for it.
so you do a flush every 15k miles, not just the drain and refill?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
so you do a flush every 15k miles, not just the drain and refill?
Sorry I should've clarified, I do a flush every 30,000 except in the winter where I do it every 15,000. But i changed the fluid every 15,000 no matter what so it comes down to on average every other is a flush, except in the winter months.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Will I be doing my Xterra (17K Miles) a disserve if instead of a PMF I drain the transmission, drop the pan, clean and or replace the transmission filter, reattach everything and refill the transmission?
the only thing with that is that your not replacing the old fluid that is in the torque converter. where the PMF completely replaces the old fluid with new stuff ( from what I have read on here any ways)

·
on line
267 Posts
Having no idea about your driving conditions or habits, the only way to know if you're wasting money by excessively changing the fluid is to send it in for an analysis e.g. blackstone labs.

For me, it would be a waste of money.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well, since i last flushed I wheeled twice on the beach, each time driving a couple hours in sand. Also been up the mountains quite a few times driving on a gravel/steep road for about 1 mile each time using 4hi.

I usually see temps of 149F tops around here- flat raleigh nc, but on those above trips saw near 200F for short periods of say 15 minutes.

I know the fluid has a life of 100k at 175F. They say it's like 1/2 life every 10F. So in that case, if i ran all the time at 200F that's 25k mikes. But since I don't, i say 50k wouldbe ok in my case... but?????

I last drain and filled like in June. I really want to wait till spring to flush. I have 30k miles on the last flush now but with 3 drain and fills since.

who votes for flush now and who votes for flush in march?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
silverflash, lemme know when you sell your X or any other vehicle you own. Cause you are M-E-T-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
silverflash, lemme know when you sell your X or any other vehicle you own. Cause you are M-E-T-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.
thanks man! i try.

actually the truck rides,looks,acts like new. and i want to keep it that way.

115k miles on it and i bought new in late 2006.....

·
on line
267 Posts
I'd do a drain N fill, then grab the last few ounces to send in for a test. That will tell you whether or not you'd need a flush in the spring?

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd do a drain N fill, then grab the last few ounces to send in for a test. That will tell you whether or not you'd need a flush in the spring?
So I priced some magic s. Cheapest online or offline was my local dealer at 10.99 a quart.

Also asked the service people about dropping pan and they said they never do it regardless of flush or drain and fill. They state that they don't ever open the pan up for anything.

Seems I am ahead of the game with the pan drop 30k miles ago. Will drain and fill this weekend or next week then flush in spring. Without pan drop. Will pan drop 30k miles later at next flush.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Nothing is overkill when putting these transmissions to work on the trails . I presonly just drain and refill every three oil changes or about every 10k miles . Its cheaper then a flush . If your on a budget I started using Amalie synthetic trans fluid with the type S fluid as its compadable with type s and half the price .

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I agree, I don't see it as overkill Ive been following the every 30k drain and fill and im at 114k and it drives and shifts as good as when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So, what time should I drop off the Xterra for you to complete a drain and fill on mine? ;)

But seriously, we should get together. Time willing, we need get together sometime soon.

Thanks,
Sn0

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, what time should I drop off the Xterra for you to complete a drain and fill on mine? ;)

But seriously, we should get together. Time willing, we need get together sometime soon.

Thanks,
Sn0
totally man!

though i don't really wheel my xterra except for the beach sometimes and the mountain.....

would be nice to get together to compare rides!

as far as the transmission drain and fill, i bought a 7$ clear 8 quart pan and calibrated it to 5 quarts, by 1/2 quart increments. When i drain later this week or weekend i will know exactly how much comes out so i can put the same back but i will of course check on the stick once it's warmed up and running....

·
on line
2,044 Posts
in my opinion, you should not do a transmission flush ........ there is just too many data out there with people having problems after a transmission flush... stay safe and simply do the poor mans flush.. no machine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts