Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question.

I want to get a jack for my truck in case I need to change a tire on the road. I figure if I'm going to spend the money, I ought to get a good hi lift jack.

Are they usable as a jack if I don't have sliders or a aftermarket bumper?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Simple question.

I want to get a jack for my truck in case I need to change a tire on the road. I figure if I'm going to spend the money, I ought to get a good hi lift jack.

Are they usable as a jack if I don't have sliders or a aftermarket bumper?
Unless you use the tire lift strap, there really is no point in having one as a jack. And even then, you'd have to have a jackstand too. So basically, just use the stock scissor jack.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I would not recommend it. Hi-Lifts can be pretty dangerous in general, regardless of whether you're recovering from the sliders.

Maybe look into a bottle jack with some of them newfangled bottle jack recovery accessories: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79201

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Even a hi lift in the hitch is pretty pointless for changing a tire. Once you get the back a little off the ground the jack will tip. But it dies work to "walk" the rear axle sideways. So useless for tire changing and only slightly useful as a recovery tool. With the wheel adaptor it will let you lift a tire off the ground so you can stack stuff under it, so a little more useful as a recovery tool. But if mud is involved it is pointless as it will just bury itself into the mud before it thinks of lifting a stuck vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts