Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought some auto lite xp5325 iridium spark plugs. Anyone else running these or any iridiums? Manual says platinum plugs are used and most of the sites like rock auto and autozone say that OE is iridium. Would this be considered an upgrade? Smaller tips, less voltage to spark making it easier on your motor right?

I have a 2011 pro4x with 44,700 miles on it and I just installed a bully dog and have an XTP manifold spacer waiting to go in (hence the spark plug change, might as well while I'm in there) I also have a snorkel coming in a day. I want to do all that over the weekend.

Basically....are iridium plugs ok?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
You probably already have iridium spark plugs since you are a 2011.

Other tidbits:
- You don't need to change the plugs until 100k
- I've heard to stick with NGK plus. They are the oem brand. Apparently other brands can cause the check engine light to turn on
- if you pull your plugs and they have just an R on them, you have platinum plugs. If IR, you have iridium. This marking will be on the side of the plug when you remove them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am running Iridium sparkplugs, I cant remember if I went with NGK or Denso... But these two brands are the only brands I use in my vehicles

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
NGK or Denso for japanese. Ac/Delco for GM, Bosch for German, Autolite or Motorcraft for Ford

·
on line
951 Posts
I ran a set of bosch platinum 4x in the xterra, went about 60k with no issues at all. It mostly depends on the type of driving and quality of fuel in your area. My sleds are american built (Arctic Cat) and they call for ngk plugs. It doesn't matter where your vehicle was made or by who, but more on the quality of the plug. I knew with the bosch plugs that I wouldn't get 100k out of them, but I did want to see how it would respond to them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I put NGK iridium in at 100k on my 05 about 4 months ago. They have been fine so far, no noticeable change in economy or anything else.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took one out when doing my IMS and found that I have NGK Iridiums. The plug I took out looked like new with no wear what so ever. So the only thing I changed was my mind. I put the plug back in and left the others in. I have 45k miles so I'll change them later I guess. Plus the plugs I bought didn't have the same sort of contacts. The stock ones looked nice pointed electrodes and the ones I got had one point and the one on the ground looked like a regular platinum style. That's the other reason I left the stocks in. I'll get NGKs when they're ready. Thanks guys, I should have followed my gut, and the forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts