Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrestled for so long with the best way to install an ipod to your rig with consideration to ease of installation and cost.

The first thing I was thinking was: get a docking cradle that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Then run a monster cable out to your aux channels. Cost 120. This kinda stinks because you have FM not digital connection and cords and extraneous stuff to deal with.

The second option was to get a Pioneer IPOD box, which I considered until I learned that Pioneer sucks weiner on support for the 1st gen models. There, I said it. Oh sure, their second and thrird gen have full support but the flagship model gets slower processing, unclear menus, jarbled text, etc....Sorry, not for 100.

Third and best option:

Go to Best Buy, but this miracle cable they have there that plugs directly into your IP bus and acts as a receiver for your ipod, walkman, video games, whatever. It has 3 cables coming out for all three. It even charges your ipod. They have different kinds for different brands. Cost $60.

Ok, to do this mod, it's pretty easy if you have an existing AUX or Line in A/V thorugh either your head unit or your onboard processor. I preferred to plug it directly into my IP Bus, digital connection, no speed interference.

Securing it is the trick. My secret, Xtreme Velcro (seriously it's a brand). I figured it'd go well with the grey tones in the X, plus it's Xtreme Brah!

Clean area and apply nice even sections. Visualize before applying it.

Give some of that good stuff to the ipod

Now it's time for them to make out!

This thing is not going anywhere. Cord leads under the steering wheel and tucked away.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
One other alternative: Nissan iPod interface for Xterra. Link for Courtesy Parts: http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=999U7-IPDNOST
I bought mine at a nearby dealer for under $200. They wanted $150 for the installation, but I ended up saving the $ and went DIY. Access was a bitch and I ended up with some skinned up hands while mounting the interface. I used a snake to pass the cable behind the A/C controls. Getting the glove boxes removed in order to drill the hole in the upper glove box was easy after someone sent me the instructions. It required an 11/16" bit to make the hole for the cable (WTF? Who has this size bit? Ended up using a bit from a woodworking brace that was close enough.) Sounds great, keeps the iPod charged and out of site, and is controlled thru factory radio. Menus are a little quirky (Example: 8 separate button presses required to select random play). You can't change the default settings permanently, so whenever you restart the X, it defaults to playing the song that was last playing, continuing with the successive tunes in your iPod library in alphabetical order. The only way I was able to work around this was to create a playlist in iTunes containing my entire library and naming it 'Shuffle'. Then I select this playlist (thru many button presses) and finally setting it to 'Random List'. Still worth the effort if you enjoy taking your iPod on the road. Coupled w/ the Rockford-Fosgate, it sounds great. (I haven't been overly impressed w/ the RF listening to FM radio, but the iPod playing thru its dock connection (level line output) is sweet. And with over 8 days worth of music (mostly Grateful Dead, Beatles, Stones, and Floyd) I can travel a long way w/o hearing a repeat. Sorry I didn't take pics of install, but I wasn't sure of what I was doing until it all worked. Most of the pics I used to guide me through removing the dash and glove boxes I found on this forum though.

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bux, you're talking about the setup for stock or RF stereo packages correct? That option wasn't available to me cuz I went with an aftermarket brand. Good lookin' out though. Let's see a install process

:colors:

·
Read Only
656 Posts
This was for the RF system, however, I don't know if it can or can't be used for the non-RF stereo. I bought my X in late August and it had a decal in the window that said "iPod Compatible". I asked the salesman what that meant, thinking there was probably an aux-in input in the console (ala 4Runners), but he didn't even know what it was referring to. He looked it up and even made a copy of release from Nissan to dealers explaining the option, price, installation, and suggested installation cost. I declined and hunted for one at other dealers in town. Found the cheapest price, asked about their installation price and they wanted even more. Bought it anyway and figured if some pimple faced teenager could install it then surely I could figure it out, too. Again, sorry no pics since I wasn't sure what the hell I was doing until it was finished. The actual wiring is really a no brainer. One end into the iPod and the other into the interface. Another cable plugs into the interface on one end and into the N-Bus for the stereo (located near the hood release lever). There is an unused connection there if it is prewired for SAT radio. If you get a SAT radio tuner later on, you have to buy another cable which connects the tuner to another input on the iPod interface. I'll see if I can find the posts that showed how to remove the trim pieces and dash pieces that allow you access to place the interface under the dash.

Helpful links: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=003085

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=18288&highlight=#18288

The first link deals with installing the interface box (see picture of the guy's bloody hands: mine ended up just like them). The second one has a pic of how to remove dash below the steering wheel (scroll towards the bottom of the thread).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.